Wake Up Call

Lucid Dreams
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

For the first time in a while, I felt an imediate and extreme need to cry right now.

I had no idea, nor any viable reason why, but I wanted to cry.

In front of me was the same dream land that was always present in my times of sleep, but it felt strange. It made me feel like crying, and so I did. There was no particular reason why either, because nothing changed. If this had happened a few years back, then the answer would be quite simple- I was alone. But I've grown accustomed to this loneliness, and I actually became comfortable with it. It was just another thing in my routine.

But why right now?

Unknowingly, I was wiping those tears away with my own hands. I had quite a lot of time to spare right now, since I slept quite early tonight. I looked at the sky and I saw millions and trillions of fireflies. Back in the day, that was what me and the boys used to count the time.

Tata was the first one to notice this, and he told me about one of the few ways to know when time was up for fun time. The first time I saw this, I remember being awe-struck. It was, and it still is the most beautiful thing that I've ever seen. So whenever we were just waiting for me to wake up, we'd all just look up and count the fireflies.

But tonight was the longest night I've ever seen. There were never this many fireflies, and it was weird and I was unused to this. Every night before this had been a hundred times shorter than this one. The night sky was flooded with fireflies. It was as if the stars were all being compiled into a single pack.

I sighed, and sat down. I supposed that this was going to be a long night, and there was no point in venturing about because I've been to every inch of this place when I was twelve. To waste my time, I decided to count the fireflies that were fading away instead. It was like counting sheep, but you never really get to fall asleep. 

It was a trait of this place. You can hangout in here for an entire day and not feel drowsy at all. Bored, maybe, but you can never feel tired. But it was lonely. It has been lonely for three years. I like to say that I've grown used to it, but in reality, it would always chip off a shard from your heart.

Maybe this is why I was crying. 

A smile came unto my lips, and a dozen more tears started to pour down from my eyes. It was pathetic, but funny. It was funny how I was so pathetic right now. It is so pathetically funny that I began to laugh. 

I can't help but miss them. I so terribly miss my dreams. Maybe I was going insane, because as far as I knew, there were nobody else who were so stuck up on their dreams that they'd feel utterly lonely. I have friends, but these people that I see in these dreams were one of the few that made me feel special.

Maybe I really was crazy. 

"Yeonhee?" I heard a voice when I was on to my twenty-fifth firefly.

In shock of finally hearing a voice that wasn't mine, I jolted upwards to look at where that voice came from. I wiped the tears from my face, almost ashamed of them. It was an unfamiliar yet familiar voice, but I felt like I knew who it came from. My eyes were tracing every part of the area, looking for the owner of the voice, or at least any sign of a living things around here.

The tears came flowing back down my cheeks when I saw a specific plushie running towards me with its stuby legs. I found it odd how it seemed to have reverted to its cartoonish style, and I also thought that maybe it was unfamiliar only because it was as if it really did belong to a character with a squeaky voice. I must have been way more fond of the more realistic, and the aged version of him.

But he was here, so that didn't matter.

I stood up from where I sat, and I rushed towards the little character that I know and love so much. 

"RJ" I shouted as I got the little plushie in my arms and hugged it as if I could never see him again. "Where have you been!? I missed you!" I said and dropped to my knees. I hugged him tighter, afraid to let go.

There was some part of me that hated them for leaving when I needed them the most. I was fifteen when they left, and that was when my parents left me too.

"I'm sorry Yeonie." RJ said. "Something happened and we couldn't do anything about it." The alpaca sniffled.

"You shouldn't have left me then, Jin!" I shouted.

But then I froze. What did I just say? That was an unfamiliar name, but it felt so right.

All of a sudden, my heart skipped a beat, and I swore that I felt RJ become bigger, and taller. The plush hands suddenly grew longer, and it grew long enough as for me to feel hands on my waists. The soft cotton head that was resting on my neck felt more solid, and I felt warm breaths being brought down my neck.

 RJ- no, Jin felt as if he was human.

As the odd happening occurred, there was a loud whistling ringing inside my head. It was soft, yet loud, and also awfully catchy despite me not being able to bloody whistle.

I tried to pull away from him, but all of a sudden, he felt much more stronger. There was an odd sensation in wherever we touched, but I didn't dislike it. "RJ-" I cut myself off. Why did it feel so wrong to call him that? "Jin." I felt some sort of chill at the back of my neck as I said his name. "Jin, what happened? Are you alright?"

"Call me that name again, please." His voice was deep all of a sudden, but I knew it was the same person as the one I always spent my dreams with. I was speechless, though. I couldn't say a thing. "Yeonhee."

The way he said my name sent an even larger thrill down my spine. I felt weaker. My knees were wobbling. For once in the entirety of my stays here in my dreams, I suddenly felt the urge to sleep. But I had enough energy to do as he wished. "Jin." I said, my voice was merely a whisper.

With that, I felt my legs give out. I felt no energy to do anything other than to see, and to speak. I was so used to the small capacity of strength that any of the plushies had that I was actually expecting to land flat on the ground. But to my shock, I actually didn't end up dying because I bumped my head to the ground while I am in my dreams.

His newly formed shoulders was shaking, and soon enough he was laughing. "I-" He pushed me away to get a better look at me. He was holding me by my shoulders, but I still hadn't fallen unto the ground. "I didn't think it'd work!" He smiled.

I got a better view of his face, and I have to say, I was shocked. Jin was unexpectedly, unrealistically, and fantastically handsome. And although I was supposed to find it odd and creepy how my mind suddenly made it so that my childhood, imaginary friend turned into a guy who was hotter than the sun, I didn't complain. Jin had raven dark hair, but unrealistic blue eyes. Not only that, but he looked to be Korean too. His pale complexion was perfect, god-like almost. Hell, I think it was glowing.

Inside my head, I smacked myself. Of course he was korean. He speaks to me in perfect Korean, but he was also from my dreams. Of course I'd idealize a Korean man.

Now that we both got a better look at each other, he pulled me back for a hug. "Aigoo~! Yeonhee grew a

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter