Flames

Lucid Dreams
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Stuck. I was stuck in a pitch black darkness, surrounded by nothing, touched by nothing, seen by nothing. I was in this familiar darkness again. This same stupid boring darkness that was so quiet that it felt uncomfortably noisy.

 

Yes, I’ve been here before. I’ve been in this abyss every night in the first years of my life. I’ve been in here every night, until I saw my first dream.

 

You’d understand why my parents would be concerned. A five year old who dreamed of nothing other than floating in pitch black darkness would be rather concerning. For all they know, I could have some rare mental disorder that they’d want taken care of immediately.

 

Lo and behold, all of a sudden she’s ‘normal’ now. Imagine their relief when they finally got their youngest child to dream. Hell, even my sister rejoiced. She must have been creeped out by the fact that her younger sister had been dreaming of the dark- literally.

 

But I was here again. This never happened before, but at this point, I could care less. So many things have been going on, that this was a normal occurrence compared to everything else. Besides, this was going on in my head- whatever was going on in the real world wasn’t.

 

I sighed. I was going to have to wait it out.

 

The thing I always appreciated in my dreams were the fireflies. They told me time. They gave light. They showed me when I can finally wake up. Which is why I hated it in here. I can never know how long I’d have to wait. It was difficult. I don’t know when it would end, nor did I know how, but either way, it’d end.

 

Though for now, I was expecting something different to happen. Something to break the normalcy of being stuck in an abyss, unsure if I was falling or frozen in mid air. With everything that’s been happening nowadays, I was already certain that something would be coming my way.

 

And my expectation hadn’t failed me today.

 

It took a while, but one at a time, those fireflies started to appear. It popped one at a time, lighting up certain things in what I assumed was an abyss. They drew nearer towards the floor, and some had been close to me. Just below me was a floor with grass and a ton of arrows. In the midst of those arrows were a bunch of black ribbons, or what I assumed were black ribbons. Not a lot can be seen by the light of the fireflies really, but I think I can distinguish shards of glass floating alongside me.

 

But something outshone the fireflies.

 

Right in front of me was a swing. The seat was made of glass, and it was burning. This is the first I’ve seen of this- burning glass. But then again, this was somewhere in my subconscious where anything can happen.

 

I realized now, by the stronger light of the fire on that swing, that I wasn’t floating in midair; I was floating in water, and me not drowning wasn’t the oddest thing I’ve discovered either. As I took a peek at my hands and fingers, I found that they were turned to porcelain. Moveable porcelain, can you believe that?

 

I figured that even my subconscious was being by oddness. It was way better and more calming when it was just plain and jet black, but I’d admit that this was less boring. Watching fire, as I’ve heard, was a lot of fun, and it was actually pretty time consuming.

 

As the swing drew closer, and further, and closer, I saw the surroundings of my sight being blurry, and smudged. It was as if my sight had a feather effect on photoshop, or maybe some sort of Instagram filter at the corners.

 

“Yeonhee?”

 

My hearing even felt like it was filled with ripples, but I heard that distinct sound of my name being called. However, I didn’t know who was calling me.

 

“Yeonhee?”

 

This second time felt much more clearer, but it was distorted still. Much as so that I couldn’t find who was calling for me. Besides, not a lot can be heard from underwater. But then again, I suppose that not a lot were capable of breathing underwater, so it might just be the distance between the one trying to call for my attention, and me.

 

“Yeonhee!”

 

Though I figured that if they really did want to find me, they can just follow the light of whatever underwater, burning swing which was directly in front of me. I really wasn’t sure if my newly discovered porcelain skin was capable of moving a lot. Hell, it was already cracked, so I’d rather not risk being limbless.

 

“Yeon-”

 

All of a sudden, I felt like I was being pulled by the hand. Floating in the water, the momentum and the force of the pull turned me around. I was now facing an unfamiliar man with pale as moonlight skin. It was a man whose height wasn’t certain. The roots of his hair were blue, and the edges seemed as if they had originally been black. It was as if someone had outgrown dyed hair, but in reverse. He looked like he was dead, but there was some sort of fantastical look to him. It was almost eerie how someone who looked dead look so alive to see me.

 

“Yeonhee, you aren’t supposed to be here.” Called it, it wasn’t the water blurring my auditory sensors- wait, can hearing be blurred?

 

I looked up at the man, and he was standing perfectly still, in midwater. It was like he was literally walking in water. Wow, does that mean I’m facing Jesus right now? I scoffed. Yeah, because self-proclaimed demons have come after me. I really did need some holy divine grace with me. I was in perfect time of need. I also need saving.

 

Sarcasm aside, this man who was looking at me in some sort of stoic expression was gripping my hand tightly. I can feel the porcelain tense under his grasps, but I wasn’t breaking. “I know I’m not, but I am.” I retorted with snark. “There’s nothing I can do really, I’m stuck in here until I wake up.”

 

The boy with blue hair tilted his head. “Wake up?” He asked. “Wait no, that’s not the point- but wait, since when did you… grow this big?”

 

“I’m not exactly conscious right now.” I said. “Your brothers woke up already, why won’t you?”

 

Again, he tilted his head in confusion. His eyebrows were hunched together, as if he hadn’t properly digested what I said. “What do you mean?” He asked. “Yeonhee, we’ve only disappeared for a day. Literally just yesterday, you were fourteen.” The blue haired boy let go of my wrist, and he turned me around by the shoulders, and he pointed ahead. “Look, Jungkook is on the swing-

 

“Wait, Jungkook?” His jaw dropped.  It was the same reaction Cooky had when he mentioned Jin’s name. It was as if he was in disbelief, and shocked.“When did you find his name?”

 

At his odd question, I tilted my head. The boy in the blindfold before had known that he was both asleep, and that I knew and found the names of some of his brothers. Why was this was different? “Just a day ago… Listen, what am I looking-”

 

It took a few more swings before I saw it. Truly, in front of me had been a sight to see. It was Jungkook, and he was limp on the glass seat. He was merely hanging on the swing, and he looked… conflicted as he was seemingly unconscious. “Jungkook.” I whispered his name quietly.

 

As if the young male heard me, he jolted upwards quickly. His head turned as the swing’s pace quickened at the sudden action. He heard me, he must have. However, that thought seemed to have vanished when I realized that he was looking all over for the source of my voice, despite me being just directly in front of him, and despite his gigantic eyes scanning all over the area. He can’t see me, but how?

 

“Yeonhee.” The man with blue hair roots called. Confused, I turned towards him. Why was Jungkook not responding? “Don’t call him. He’s trying to sleep.” He told me. But he shook his head as if he were scolding himself. “How old are you right now?” The male had asked, making everything in my head click perfectly.

 

Literally just yesterday, you wer

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter