T is for Turtle

LMNOh Sehun

“Alright class, gather here.” Sehun placed his chair at the edge of the rug and the students clamored in on the floor around him.

“Today we’re reading a story called Mr. Turtle’s Freedom.” Sehun flipped to the first page and began to read aloud.

“Mr. Turtle lived alone in his shell,”

Sunmi’s hand shot up, “But Mr. Oh, all turtles live alone, there’s no room for family in a shell.”

“Yes Sunmi, but we must use our imaginations and feel sorry for Mr. Turtle.” Sunmi nodded and Sehun started again, “Mr. Turtle knew there was a life beyond his shell and he wanted to explore it.

A little beetle crawled by,’Mr. Beetle,’ Mr. Turtle called, ‘How do I get out of my shell?’

The beetle stopped, ‘Oh Mr. Turtle, your head is out, that’s enough. You must never leave your shell.’ Mr. Beetle crawled away.”

Sehun turned the page and continued reading, “Mr. Turtle was not satisfied. A fish glided in the water nearby, ‘Mr. Fish, how do I get rid of my shell?’

The fish stopped, ‘Oh Mr. Turtle, don’t leave that shell. The world is harsh, the sky is big, and the water is deep. Stay in your shell.” Mr. Fish glided away.”

The kids’ eyes were fixed on Sehun as he flipped the page.

“But Mr. Turtle’s mind was set on getting out, so he tried once more. A little boy walked by, ‘Mr. Boy,’” The kids laughed, “’Mr. Boy, how do I get out of my shell?’ The boy stopped, ‘Mr. Turtle, I will help you get out of your shell. Stay here, I’ll be back.’ Mr. Boy walked away.

Mr. Turtle waited patiently for the boy to return, happy at the chance to leave his shell. The boy came back with a man. The man had a long object in his hand. The man smiled at Mr. Turtle as the object began to shiver, ‘Mr. Turtle, this will get you out of your shell.’ The man said walking up to Mr. Turtle. He used the shivering object to cut Mr. Turtle’s shell. Mr. Turtle’s shell was gone but he-“Sehun stopped abruptly eyes wide.

The kids leaned forward hardly blinking, “That’s all boys and girls!” He said brightly

“Mr. Oh, you didn’t finish the story, did Mr. Turtle die?” Minyoo asked

“Mr. Turtle died?” a little girl with a lisp whispered, voice quivering.

“No!” Sehun called a little too loudly, “Of course Mr. Turtle didn’t die. Now we’ll move on to geography, where is Hong Kong?”

***

“Wait, so the man killed the turtle with an electric saw?!” Junmyeon shrieked in Sehun’s ear.

“Uh, I think so. The story doesn’t make much sense. I mean, can you even cut a turtle’s shell with an electric saw?”

“Sehun, you need to read the books before you let the children hear them. They put all kinds of things in picture books these days.”

“I know that…now.”

“Hey, remember when I used to read books to you and Jongin?”

A small smile came to Sehun’s lips, “Yeah,”

“Jongin loved those stories with princes, knights, and damsels in distress. You loved those stories with talking animals and adventures. You two would sit at my feet as I read. And remember how even though he said he was too old for storybooks, Lu-“

Junmyeon stopped.

“Oh Sehunnie, I’m sorry.” He whispered

“I must go.” Sehun hung up.

He placed his phone on the desk and picked up a photo.

Junmyeon had his arms around a big eyed Jongin and a rainbow-haired Sehun. Sehun looked at his younger self. There was more trust in his eyes, he saw hope and an innocence yet untainted by the harsh world. His eyes shifted over. Sehun rubbed his finger across the jagged edge. He wished he’d never cut out that other person.