S is for Summer

LMNOh Sehun

“Over the summer I went to California to visit my cousin. She graduated from some college in America. We at hamburgers in California and it’s sunny there. Iron Man lives there but we didn’t see him. I had fun and when I grow up I will live in California and meet Iron Man.”

“Thank you Suyoung,” Sehun nodded at the little girl, “Next we will have Park Hohan.”

“I didn’t go anywhere fun. I didn’t have burgers or visit where Iron Man lives.” Hohan crossed his arms.

“That’s ok,” Suyoung said brightly, “Not everyone is as rich as my daddy.”

“Hey!” Hohan narrowed his eyes, “My daddy is rich enough, last summer we went to Seoul.”

“But Seoul is still in Korea,” another boy cut in, “I went to Brazil when I was four, it’s in South America, which is even farther than California.”

“Ah I see we all have a nice grasp on world geography!” Sehun interjected, “But we must not compare our summers, only share them.”

“What did you do over the summer Mr. Oh?” Suyoung asked.

“Well, I took my dog Vivi to the beach. She likes the water but not the sand.” He laughed, “And of course I drank lots of bubble tea.”

“That’s boring.” Suyoung frowned

“When you grow up normal, boring things can become fun. I love bubble tea, I love the beach, and I love my dog, so it was not boring to me.”

“Mr. Oh, can I go next?”

“Yes Minyoo, go ahead.”

Minyoo stood up, “I played video games and went swimming. It might sound boring, and not as cool as meeting Iron Man – “

“She didn’t actually meet Iron Man,” Hohan cut in

“But I still had fun,” Minyoo continued, “Because I spent the whole summer with my best friend. His daddy has a telescope, so we had sleepovers and looked at the starts together. We are going to travel into space together when we grow up.”

“Ah, very good. It sounds like you had an excellent summer.” The bell rang and students scrambled out of their seats, “Have a good lunch class.” Sehun called over the din.

In a heartbeat all the students were gone, except Minyoo who sat with his hands folded on his desk, eyes on the door, waiting.

“Do you need something Minyoo?” Sehun aksed

“No, I’m waiting for my friend, we always go to lunch together.”

“I see.” Sehun began erasing the board to prepare for the last half of the day.

“Sorry I’m late.” A little boy burst into the room. Sehun could tell he was older because his face had lost much of its baby fat, but Minyoo was almost taller than he was.

The older boy put an arm around Minyoo, “Let’s go, there’s a basketball game after lunch.” He guided him from the room.