W is for Waiting

LMNOh Sehun

The day for the art show had finally arrived. Sehun hung up the students’ pictures, set up tables, and filled the punchbowl. As he poured chips into a plastic bowl he thought back to the previous day:

***

Sunmi had come up to him after class, “Mr. Oh, what are we eating at the party tomorrow?”

“Eating?”

“You haven’t started making the finger sandwiches yet?” She squealed.

“I hadn’t planned on making anything.”

“But you can’t have a party without food.”

Kyungsoo would love this girl, Sehun thought.

“But I’m not so good at cooking.”

“Well then just buy a veggie tray and some chips and salsa. My mommy can cook but she does that when there’s a surprise event.”

***

Sehun unwrapped the vegetable tray and stood back to admire his work. Everything was ready.

***

“Alright everyone, we’re now ready to reveal the students’ artwork.” Sehun turned to open the curtain covering the wall.

He felt a tug on his sleeve, “Not yet Mr. Oh,” Minyoo whispered, “My daddy’s not here yet.”

Sehun checked his watch, “But we’re already behind schedule.”

“Please Mr. Oh, he’s flying in from a trip. He’ll be here soon.”

Sehun hesitated

“Choy won’t be here, but my daddy will, we have to wait for him.

“Ok, we’ll wait a little while.”

But a little while lasted a long time. Kids started yawning and parents irritably checked the time. Sehun couldn’t wait any longer, “I’m sorry Minyoo.” He whispered and opened the program.

***

Only a few people lingered, the food was gone, and time was ticking by, still Mr. Sang hadn’t shown up.

Sehun was ready to go home but he couldn’t take down the paintings and lock up until Minyoo and Mrs. Sang left, and they wouldn’t leave until Mr. Sang saw Minyoo’s art.

He began to clean up the food table, Mrs. Sang approached him, “I’m so sorry for the wait, but Minyoo really wants his dad to see the display.”

“It’s quite alright, I’m looking forward to meeting Mr. Sang.”

“Oh, I’m sorry for the confusion, my husband isn’t Mr. Sang. You see I kept my maiden name and gave it to Minyoo. The Sang family has such a rich legacy that I couldn’t give up.”

“Oh, that’s nice. It’s great that you have so much pride in your family name.” Sehun picked up the bowl of chips.

“Daddy!” Minyoo cried.

Sehun glanced towards the door. The bowl slipped from his hands and crashed to the ground.