07 MORE TRUTH, LESS PAIN

Save Me, I'm Not Fine

/Flashback start/

 

Hey baby, I was just on my way to see you.” Jaebum answered the phone-call from Sana while turning the steering wheel on his hand.

 

Are you driving?” Sana asked, “Pull over, you're not suppose to answer a call when you're still driving.” She lecture her boyfriend, her heart flipped as her uneasiness started to grow.

 

Don't worry, my hands are still on the wheel because I'm using an earphone to talk to you right now.” Jaebum calmed the girl.

 

Okay.” She only uttered. This made him bewildered at her short respond as he knew his girlfriend would usually be very talkative whenever they are on the call.

 

What's wrong baby?” He asked, now he is the worried one.

 

I have something to tell you but not right now, not when you're still driving.” Sana said, her voice become serious mixed with sadness or more like apologetic. Jaebum becomes really confused and curious so he insisted.

 

Just tell me now, whatever that bothers you. It's okay, trust me.” He was a little impatient because he was really worried.

 

No Jaebum. I can tell you when we meet.” Sana told him.

 

Are you sure? There's a bad traffic in front of me right now. Some kind of an accident, I think.” He said while he raise his head forward to see a clearer vision of the cause of road jam.

 

It's okay, I can wait.” Sana said, not convincing enough for Jaebum to believe.

 

Baby, you know that I don't like to see you get upset just because you're holding in something you can't bear alone, right?” Jaebum's tone voice showed how much concern he is but he managed to form a gentle smile on his face.

 

It's okay, just tell me. Plus, I'm pretty sure the patients doesn't want to see an upset medical student to handle them.” He chuckled before he continued, “You trust me, don't you?” Jaebum tried to be as reassuringly as possible. But it's making Sana to feel pressured.

 

The girl sighed deeply before she palm her small hand on her forehead and swipe her front hair to the back while she's at it, “I...”

 

She bit her lower lip before she gather all of her courage to let out the word she wanted to say out from , “I want to cancel our wedding.”

 

/Flashback end/

 

Nayeon, I've been thinking.” Jihyo said as the latter took a mouthful bite of her cheesy burger, sitting in front of Jihyo at the cafeteria. After exchanging a few talk, reconcile hugs and cringey words to each other, Nayeon and Jihyo become a good old friend again like nothing ever happened to them.

 

About what?” The bunny teeth girl can only mumbled, letting the sauce from to drip at the corner of her lip.

 

Jihyo giggled as she wiped the smudge away for her. “About your plan.” She said, making the latter to widened her eyes and glimmer like the stars. Of course, this made Jihyo smiled witnessing her friend's happiness.

 

She wiped on her sleeve while she slammed her hands on the table a little too hard to make a sound that attract some few people around them as she exclaimed, “You're going to do it?”

 

I mean we never know unless we try.” Jihyo told her, making her friend jump in excitement.

 

Soon, Momo and Sana came to their table and join them for lunch. Mina is still in Japan, so Nayeon took this chance to talk about her with Momo who is engulfing her chocolate bread.

 

So how is everything going on with Mina, Momo?” She asked, smirking devilishly. “I see some progress.” She said while constantly raising her eyebrow at her, making the latter surprised by the attack.

 

She munched her bread before answering, “Progress, my . Nothing change at all.”

 

Like I said, convey it properly.” Sana butted in, wiping with her tissue. The only reason why she joined this conversation in the first place was because this issue has been going on before Sana even become this dreadful soul. Jihyo agreed with her statement that she start nodding before she add,

 

Yeah, you have the chance almost every day with you except for now because she's not here.” She told her. “You lost your first chance when she was still here but good thing there's another chance because she will be coming back.”

 

Nayeon supported, “Yeah, so take the chance before you lose it again.”

 

Chance, Sana suddenly thought of Dahyun. The girl named Kim Dahyun is Sana's chance to be herself again, she knew that very well but she still refuse to take it because she was scared. She was scared that it might hurt Jaebum. But I'm hurting her now, she thought to herself; feeling terrified.

 

Momo sighed heavily which awaken Sana from her own world. Jihyo, being witty as always noticed this from Sana.

 

You guys are so right that I hate to admit it.” Momo said making her two friends to smile at her, and Sana joined them after.

 

When Sana finished her food, she decided to take a walk to give herself a moment with her messy mind. So, she excused herself from her friends before leaving the table.

 

Sana, wait!” Jihyo called behind when Sana is already stepping outside the cafeteria.

 

What is it, Jihyo?” She asked when the other girl is already close in front of her.

 

I should be the one asking that question.” Jihyo flash a smile before they start walking again together.

 

What is it, what is bothering you lately?” Jihyo asked Sana. They are walking to nowhere, just a random direction inside the building.

 

Nothing.” She respond to her friend's question. But something from Sana's tone of voice made it sound like a cry for help.

 

We're here, Sana. For always. If you could just let us help.” Jihyo said while looking at the uncomfortable Sana, trying her best to hide away her struggle but it was useless; she is already on the edge. Jihyo can see her through, all that's left is only Sana to start voicing out.

 

Jihyo, I think I'm a bad person.” Sana started to say. Jihyo almost cried when her friend finally trust her again. She turn her whole body to face Sana who is looking at her with despair.

 

You are not a bad person.” Jihyo said, her body move forward to Sana to give her a comfort hug. Sana buried her face on Jihyo's shoulder, tears can be felt flowing from her friend's face as her shoulder dampened. Thankfully, they are at the quietest place in the building which is at the simulation ward building located opposite to the cafeteria. Thus, there are no people beside the two of them at that moment.

 

I am, I broke people's heart. People who try to help me and people who want to see me happy.” Sana sniffed, trying so hard not to break completely because she knew that will only be a mess.

 

Are you talking about Dahyun?” Jihyo rubbed her back but the latter pull back to wipe her tears as she nodded to Jihyo's question.

 

That doesn't make you a bad person. You have your reason, I'm sure of that.” Jihyo caressed her friend's cheek.

 

Did she tell you?” Sana asked.

 

No, I haven't ask her anything yet. But I know it bothers her too because she talk to herself a lot in her room.” She giggled making Sana to smiled, even if it's just a light smile.

 

Then how do you know about this?” Sana asked again, her eyebrows frowned.

 

Because I'm Park Jihyo, I know everything.” She said, making Sana to slap her friend's shoulder lightly just enough to push her a bit. Jihyo giggled and put her hands on both of Sana's shoulder while making an eye contact with her.

 

Because Sana, everyone care about you and that include Dahyun too.” Jihyo finally answered her friend's question seriously. “Remember when I told you I've always wanted to introduced her to you?” She asked Sana, and the girl nodded.

 

Yeah, and I said she will be your assistant to do your council work, well although that was true but my real intention was to make you happy again because our Dahyun is capable to do that. I guess it just didn't work on you.” Jihyo told honestly.

 

But even before that, I already know she care for you.” Jihyo smiled while moving her hand to hold Sana's small hands. “So please, give her a chance.”

 

I can't, Jihyo because I'm too afraid.” Sana's grasp tightened, putting a pressure on Jihyo's hands. “Dahyun is my chance to be happy again, I know that. In fact, you're wrong about her not giving any effect on me. Dahyun able to wash away my sorrow, but being too happy pull me back because I can't be happy, not without Jaebum.” She face down on the floor, shutting both of her eyes as she feel her tears is about to come out again. “So, I lost my chance.”

 

Don't say that, you still have a chance. If Dahyun make you happy then admit it, feel it and embrace it. I know being too happy made you feel guilty, but you don't have to feel guilty all the time because that's not what Jaebum want. He wants you to be happy again, I am hundred percent sure of that Sana.” Jihyo pulled Sana for another long hug to let the girl cried on her shoulder. She lost it, she let herself break completely in front of her trusted friend.

 

I know Sana. I know how it feels, with you and Jaebum because that's how I used to feel with Jeongyeon. And if you ask me who is my source of happiness, my answer would be you guys; my friends.

 

In another building, right on top of the roof; the three first years hang out at their usual place. Last time, Tzuyu brought her large purple rug for them to sit on or even to sleep on. They use the big unused umbrella which was originally found on the ground next to the rusty tyres and put it between the benches as their shelter. The benches become their tables where they put their laptop, books and their drinks. This place has become their usual hangout place ever since the first time they came to this school because no one really came here making their place to be very private. Gladly, the securities didn't visit this place too so their rug and umbrella still stayed the same.

 

I just recently found this pun on the internet.” Chaeyoung chuckled with her phone on her hand making Tzuyu to already rolled her eyes before the small girl even begin.

 

Not this again.” She said to Dahyun making the latter giggled shortly.

 

Just hear me out.” Chaeyoung told them.

 

Okay, okay.” Tzuyu said and Dahyun only nodded.

 

What do you call cheese that isn't yours?” She asked, smiling like a fool.

 

Nacho cheese.” Tzuyu answered right away not missing a single beat which breaks the fun.

 

Tzuyu, you're not suppose to tell the answer if you already know.” This time, it's Chaeyoung who rolled her eyes at the tall girl who is munching her cracker.

 

Dahyun only laugh at her friends.

 

Okay, I'll try another one.” Chaeyoung looked at her phone screen again before she proceed.

 

Why is koala not from a bear family?” She grinned foolishly again.

 

This time, both Tzuyu and Dahyun really don't know the answer so one of them asked, “Why?”

 

Chaeyoung was excited by the expected respond, “Because they don't have the koalafication.” She started laughing on her own before Dahyun joined her followed by Tzuyu who then shook her head after.

 

Get it? Koala-fication.” She repeated again, laughing constantly and Dahyun nodded as her answer.

 

That's so crazy.” Tzuyu told her, still giggling.

 

Thank you Tzuyu for complimenting my jokes.” Chaeyoung said proudly.

 

I'm not, I'm just admiring your stupidity.” Tzuyu said making only Dahyun to start laughing again.

 

The joke went on and on for another few more times before Chaeyoung finally decided to break the vibe as she begin to say something all of a sudden.

 

Okay Dahyun, it's been a week and 4 days but you haven't said anything about why you look so depress lately.” Chaeyoung said impatiently making her two friends to turn at her with confused look.

 

It's so unusual, Chaeyoung noticed how Dahyun has been very quiet lately. Of course she still laugh and smile a lot like the usual, but something from her friend's expression tells her that she looks tired.

 

What are you talking about?” Dahyun asked, taking a cracker from Tzuyu who is munching her food on .

 

Yeah,” She gulped before she continued, “What are you talking about so suddenly?”

 

I've had enough. I'm not going to pretend like I don't know your heart is breaking, Dahyun.” Chaeyoung stood up, with her hands raising between her chest and then she face to Dahyun giving her a nod; more like asking for explanation from her.

 

Dahyun sighed heavily. Who knew that this small friend of her can be as witty as her step-sister? She stood up, “Alright.” She muttered while confronting Chaeyoung who is now crossing her arm on her chest. Dahyun scanned her friend's posture and then copied her.

 

What do you want to know?” Dahyun squinted her eyes because the sun is now shining to her direction.

 

Tzuyu witnessed them while eating her cracker like a popcorn as she enjoy watching the scene her friends are making in front of her.

 

What is it between you and Minatozaki?” Chaeyoung asked without hesitating.

 

W-what?” Dahyun's lip becomes dry and her legs tremble a little as she felt the sudden heat climbing up to her. Of course she didn't expect this sudden attack from Chaeyoung. It was too straightforward that Dahyun was caught off guard. It was also because she has been trying so hard to be obscure. Dahyun is wrong about Chaeyoung, she is not only witty but she is also very observant of her surrounding. She might not look like it but Chaeyoung is actually very timid so she tend to observe to make sure she is right.

 

I knew it.” Chaeyoung said while sitting down with her victory smile on her face, grabbing her snack next to Tzuyu.

 

What? I don't get it.” Tzuyu is still confused, continue crunching on her cracker. “What do you know?” She asked Chaeyoung who only shrugged her shoulder. Then, they both eyed on Dahyun synchronously who is still standing in the sun.

 

Moment later, Dahyun let out a snort making her friends to furrowed their eyebrows, confused by the snort. Then she start laughing hysterically making them to be completely astonished by her unexpected reaction.

 

I think I just knocked her out in one blow.” Chaeyoung widened her eyes before she went along too.

 

Tzuyu wanted to laugh too but she didn't know the reason for it so she only sit there between her friends. “I don't get it.” She said, already giving up on trying to know what is actually going on.

 

Tzuyu,” Dahyun called her friend as she is already stop laughing. Her tall friend turn at her to give her attention.

 

Chaeyoung,” She called her another friend who is still giggling with her snack on her hand.

 

And to the world out there,” She smiled playfully to her friends before she face up to the sky while putting her hands above to reach the sun light.

 

I, Kim Dahyun,” She said using her dramatic tone, “Is in love with Sana!” She roared like a baby dinosaur, leaving her worries away as she felt her heart feel at ease again.

 

That's right, I am. And I want her to know that, Dahyun breathed out after taking in a deep breath.

 

It was out of nowhere but maybe it's because of Chaeyoung's attack a while ago that pushes her to be this transparent again. However, she knew that the reason for her sudden explosion was also because of; she is tired of hiding her feelings, tired of pretending like everything is fine when she is not and most importantly, she is tired of arguing her own thoughts and her feelings for Sana. So here she is, Dahyun is finally confessing everything not only to her friends but even to herself who was always confused on it's own.

 

Yep, I am in love with that girl. No more confusion, I am admitting it now.

 

Dahyun smiled genuinely to herself.

 

So Minatozaki Sana.. if you decided to run away,

 

Then I will approach to you.


Extra extra! From chapter 8, I'll give a very SHORT sneak peek.

 

[Nabongs_95; 10.35pm]

 

Hey Jeongyeon, I need your help :3

 

[Jeonggie_jjang; 10.35pm]

 

If you're asking me to deliver your favorite chicken at this hour, I refuse to.

 

[Nabongs_95; 10.36pm]

 

No silly, I have something better than that. It's better to tell you through a call. Can u call me?

 

[Jeonggie_jjang; 10.37pm]

 

Sure.