03 REVIVE MY HAPPINESS

Save Me, I'm Not Fine

 

 Sana finished her food first before Dahyun. When the latter took her last spoon of curry, she choke as she saw a German Shepard running wildly towards them. Dahyun is never a fan of dogs especially the large-size one. She is afraid of them as she think that dog is a cute terrifying four-legged zombies that could chopped off your arms or legs by their sharp teeth. Okay, she was exaggerating it but she really is scared of dogs. Her face reddened as she start coughing. Sana on the other hand is trying to distract the dog away from Dahyun because she figured from Dahyun's reaction that she did not like dogs. So, she threw her eating chopstick for the dog to catch. As soon as the dog run away to fetch it, Sana grabbed Dahyun's hand and escape the place.

They succeed on getting back to Sana's car which was thankfully not far away from the bench. Both of their faces turned red, Dahyun has stopped coughing but she is now panting after the run. Sana gulped on her mango juice she's been holding while running before offering it to Dahyun who look very dehydrated. Dahyun took the bottle without hesitation and finished the juice like it was hers.

 

“I'm sorry I finished your drink, I promise I'll buy you a new one.” She said while turning the bottle cap on and put the empty bottle inside her school bag.

 

Sana giggled, “It's okay, you don't have to. You need it more than I do.”

 

This reaction made Dahyun happy; she started to build confidence that she joke about Sana's flying chopstick which saved her a moment ago. Remembering back of what happened at the park made the two of them laugh together. This is where Dahyun realized how playful Sana can be despite her serious look.

 

Thank you for today Sana.” She waved at her from outside the window car. Her smile is the brightest, the purest and it's the most genuine. It makes my heart feel at ease, it gives me anticipation to always look forward to it. Sana thought as she waved back to the younger girl.

 

It's only a half day but Sana is already searching for her bed, a warm bath that always help her to relax before throwing herself in to her comfy bed. But her next destination is what she's been looking forward to all day no matter how tired she is, she will still force herself to go.

She parked her car at the basement area, a dark and gloomy place which she is already used to see it almost everyday. The smell of the humid road and the familiar buzzing engine sound coming from the large storage room near the staircase welcomed her once again. Sana took the elevator just in front of her, where she parked her car.

 

When she got out from the elevator to reach the floor she wanted to go, she was greeted by a lady in her fifties whom she knew very well.

 

Oh dear, you're late today. I was just about to go home.” She told Sana.

 

Sana smiled to the lady and gave her a warm hug. “I was out for a while before I came. Who is taking you home, Mrs. Im?”

 

Jaebum's father is probably waiting for me at the main entrance right now.” She said. Her voice crack a little. She must have been crying again, Sana thought.

 

I see, let me accompany you to the main entrance.” Sana replied.

 

That's alright dear, just go straight to Jaebum's room. He must be waiting for you.” Mrs. Im told Sana, holding Sana by the hand. Mrs. Im has a very soft skin despite the wrinkles on her hand, Jaebum must have got the soft skin from his mother, she thought again.

 

Alright then, just be careful on your way home Mrs. Im and send my regards to Mr. Im.” She bid her a goodbye, making sure her boyfriend's mother is already leaving before she made her way to Jaebum's room.

 

Im Jaebum, it was written next to the door where she is standing. She took a deep breath before she turn the doorknob. It's cold inside the room, she can feel the cool breeze that immediately attached onto her skin as soon as she step inside. Her unconscious lover who is still lying down on his bed, made no sign of movement during Sana's present. Sana's little hope break at the sight of Jaebum. Who is she to have hope for Jaebum to wake up from his coma? It's almost impossible now to think that Jaebum will be able to greet her. Her tears start rolling down her cheek at the thought of her boyfriend, never going to wake up.

Sana take the seat next to his bed, grasping Jaebum's cold hand as soon as she sit. Sana put his weak hand close to her face as she cried silently. Flashback begin to play at the back of her head.

 

/Flashback start/

 

You look so beautiful, I can't wait to see you walk down the aisle.” Jaebum said, holding both of Sana's hands to help her get down from the small stage after showcasing her wedding dress.

 

Thank you, Jaebum.” The girl thanked her soon-to-be husband with her heart content. He kissed her forehead, his lip stays on her forehead for quite long with his eyes closed before he pull her into his embrace.

 

You must wear that polka dot bow-tie, okay?” She told him, almost sound threathening.

 

I look like a small kid, I thought the black one would suit me more.” Jaebum complaint like a little boy. This cause Sana to giggled and pinched his cheek.

 

You're acting like a little boy now.” She .

 

Baby, I'm serious.” He chuckled, he couldn't get enough of his girlfriend's cuteness.

 

We've already talk about this.” Sana said, putting her arm around his neck.

 

Yeah, but I thought you weren't serious picking the polka dot pattern for the wedding.” Jaebum pull her closer by her waist until their nose touch.

 

No I still want you to wear it.” Sana, being stubborn as she demanded.

 

Jaebum gave up, he raise his imaginary white flag seeking for peace as they both laugh at each other.

 

I love you baby.” He said to her before he plant a quick kiss onto her lip.

 

/End of Flashback/

 

Sana is currently in the restroom, washing her face after crying. When she went back to Jaebum's bed, all of a sudden she was reminded of Dahyun's smile when she stare at her unconscious boyfriend. She bit her lip, guilt crawl upon her. Why am I thinking of someone else when my dying boyfriend is in front of me? She thought as she feel pain in her heart.

It's true that Dahyun made Sana feel something today, something that she had lost for a quite some time. She made her feel happy again.

 

Jaebum, is it really okay for me to be happy again?” She asked, knowing that there won't be any respond from him. For me to be happy without you?, she thought before she drift to sleep next to Jaebum. Her eyes are tired after crying. She took a nap and once she woke up from her nap, it was already dark outside. She realized she must have had a long nap because it's already evening now. It's time for her to leave as she have school the next day.

 

Sana drove back to her house. She still feel a little sleepy but is conscious enough to drive. There are a lot of cars in the evening because most of the people are returning home from work so it took her almost 30 minutes to arrive due to the heavy traffic. As soon as she arrived home, she stepped inside her bedroom and jumped on the bed, closed her eyes for a few minutes before taking her promised warm bath.

She almost fell asleep in the bathroom but as soon as she was about to, she immediately wash her face and wrapped everything before she went back to her bed. As soon as she met her bed again, she laid down with her phone on her hand. Her phone buzzed as she received a notification from an unknown number on her Line app. Sana sit straight with her leg crossed, reading the message for the second time.

 

Hello Sana. It's me, the girl who got saved by you and your amazing flying chopsticks. Thanks to your precious mango juice for saving me from choking myself to death, I bought the exact same one as an appreciation for being my savior today! Also, I don't know where to find your chopsticks so I bought a different one but it's still the same color, pink he he~

 

Sana smiled unconsciously at the cute message. She know all too well who it was from; it was from her fellow junior whom she just met today named Kim Dahyun. The girl who made her confused about her own emotion the first time they met. The girl who made her laugh on the very first day of encountering each other. The girl who she thinks will change her bitterness into a happiness. Sana wanted to believe that she could go back to her old self again, being a happy person. So what she do next is the first step for a change.

She pressed the call button and wait for the other line to pick up. It wasn't long, it was barely a second when Dahyun answered her phone call.

 

Hey,” Sana said.

 

Hi. I didn't expect you to call.” Dahyun replied, sounding as happier as she's always been.

 

Yeah. I don't even know why I called.” Sana respond back. She really didn't have anything to say at all. She had the urge to cut the conversation without telling Dahyun, but the younger girl started talking.

 

Oh, it's okay. So, you know who I am right?” She asked, pacing forward and backward inside her room. Dahyun is wearing her favorite cow pajama pant and her pink sweater which she wore it on purpose assuming it is Sana's favorite color. She noticed that Sana's lunchbox is all pink in color, moreover her neck pillows inside her car are also pink colored so she is assuming she is right.

 

Yeah, your message is too detailed for me not to know who you are.” Sana told her, smiling on her own.

 

Great. Because I'll be disappointed if you have forgotten about me.” Dahyun laughed, still pacing in her room but is getting slower.

 

T-thanks by the way.” Sana is now standing up from her bed. “For buying those stuff for me. You don't need to actually.”

 

It's alright. I wanted to.” Dahyun smiled this time.

 

They are both now walking in a circle motion at the same pace in their individual rooms. There was a moment of silence; it was their first call so they both understand why it was a little awkward. But Dahyun broke the silence, not wanting to end the call just yet because they just started and they both know one of them should do the talking to make the conversation alive. Dahyun knew that she is that one of them.

 

So, you're not sleeping yet?” She asked, then answered the question to herself; of course she is not, she is talking to you idiot.

 

Not yet, it's still too early to sleep. I just finished showering.” Sana replied.

 

I see. Have you eat dinner?” Dahyun asked.

 

Um, not yet because I got home pretty late so I don't have the time to cook.” Sana answered.

 

Isn't there anyone cooking at your place?” She asked again. Please lord, don't make her hate me for asking too much of question. I just don't want to hang up just yet. I want to hear her voice more, Dahyun thought to herself.

 

No. I live by myself.” Sana told Dahyun.

 

Oh I see. I'm sorry.” Dahyun said. Wait, why am I sorry for? She asked herself. It wasn't her fault that Sana live alone, that she has no one to talk to at home or to tell exciting stories every time she return from school. She begin to think that having a step-sister is actually pretty useful. She feel bad for Sana for not having what she have, but maybe Sana like being alone. Dahyun just have to make her smile and laugh more often to reassure her that Sana is fine.

 

Have you eaten yet?” Sana asked, bringing Dahyun back to Earth.

 

No- I mean yes. I ate dinner after I send you the message.” She answered. A small slap on the forehead woke her up completely as she felt a little embarrassed at herself.

 

I see.” Sana said, the only respond she can think of.

 

Dahyun suddenly become quiet too so there is another moment of silence but this time, it is a familiar voice who interrupt them.

 

Dahyun-ah, where do you put your socks?” It was Jihyo's voice which startled Dahyun who is unaware of her sister's presence in her room. Sana overheard her friend's voice but only remain silent.

 

Unnie, I'm in the middle of phone-call right now.” Dahyun wanted Jihyo to leave the room.

 

And I'm in the middle of laundering. Just tell me where you put it.” Jihyo said as she start picking up Dahyun's clothes that pile on the floor.

 

Don't touch those, I haven't worn that yet.” Dahyun told her.

 

Then why is it on the floor?” Jihyo asked.


“Because... just get my socks at the shoe rack and leave the room please?” Dahyun plead. Jihyo raise her left eyebrow before she left her younger sister's room. She knew there is something fishy going on with Dahyun but she cannot tell if it is a good one or a bad one.

 

Hello? Are you still there?” Dahyun asked for Sana.

 

Yeah I'm still here.” Sana answered.

 

Sorry about that. Jihyo unnie came out of nowhere.” Dahyun explained.

 

That's okay.” Sana responded. She suddenly felt a little envy of them. She wished she had someone to talk to at home like Dahyun and Jihyo do.

 

She usually know how to knock door. I guess my socks are really important to her that she suddenly forgot how to knock.” Dahyun joked.

 

Maybe,” Sana giggled as a respond to her joke. “Say, can I ask something personal?”

 

What kind of personal?” Dahyun felt nervous all of a sudden. She have no idea what to expect from Sana. Sometimes the girl made her heart beat so fast out of the blue with no reasons. She think that it is because she was just thrilled by Sana's action.

 

Well, it's about your relationship with Jihyo.” Sana explained to Dahyun.

 

Ah, I see. What about it?” Dahyun asked again, now feeling a little suspend about the whole situation.

 

Your mother married to Jihyo's father right?” Sana asked to be sure.

 

Yes accurate.” Dahyun replied with a nod, not that Sana can see it.

 

Then why do you still have Kim as your surname?” Sana asked again.

 

Oh, good question.” Dahyun smiled because she noticed that Sana might be taking a little interest on her or at least that's what she hoped for.

 

Well you see, my parents are divorce. I am under my mother's care but I am still my father's daughter so I decided to keep my surname after my biological father.” Dahyun explained to Sana.

 

Oh I'm really sorry to hear that.” Sana apologize for nothing.

 

Oh no. That's okay, because my father is happy with his girl friend and my mother is happy with her new husband. We're all happy so it doesn't matter anymore.” Dahyun told Sana.

 

I see. Well, I'm glad you are.” Sana genuinely meant what she said to Dahyun.

 

Thank you. I hope you're as happy as I am too.” Dahyun said.

 

I... I hope so too.” Sana answered hesitatingly as she is still unsure if it's possible for her to be happy again. It becomes her problem; trying to escape the bitterness that haunt her and stopped her from seeing colorful things. A person can be happy when they wanted to, but not for Sana. It's easy to tell her to 'just be happy' but it isn't easy for her as she felt like all her happiness lead to sorrow so she's been living in a dull world. Moreover, her own happiness is already taken away. So is there anymore happiness left for her?

 

Alright, I should probably get going. You should eat, Sana.” Dahyun remind her.

 

Okay. I will.” Sana said, but she actually has no appetite to eat tonight.

 

Alright then, good night.” Dahyun said.

 

Good night Dahyun.” Sana replied. She ended the call, let out a deep sigh before she threw herself on the bed. Maybe, just maybe, She thought as she started replaying back of what happened at the park with Dahyun which made her smile widely.

 

Dahyun on the other hand, is sitting at the corner of her bed with Sana's empty mango juice bottle on her hand. She stared at the empty bottle, bit her lips and caress them afterward. Indirect kiss, she thought as she internally screamed inside her head. She flapped her arm and wiggle her toes, showing how excited she is.

  


Hello readers! I am very very sorry for the late update :s I will work on it soon and will update more faster! I WILL TRY but no promises :'3 Thankyou so much for waiting~ I hope you enjoy this 3rd chapter

Also, your comments is what motivate me the most so drop by the comment section too :D