06 THE TRUTH CAME OUT

Save Me, I'm Not Fine

Again, I am making a double update for you guys because I love you guys so much for waiting, so here you go another long one! :3 xoxo


It's been exactly a week after what happened in front of the ice cream van, Sana is nowhere to be seen in the school which made Dahyun worried. She wanted to ask Jihyo if she see Sana in their class but Jihyo looked so stress these days that she didn't want to bother her. Dahyun is very clueless about what happened during that day. She tried racking her brain a few times to remember back the things she said or did to Sana that made her mood change so suddenly.

 

I got nothing, I have no idea what I did wrong.” Dahyun vexed to herself. She is suppose to be doing her homework which is lying just in front of her on her study desk but she distracted herself with her own thought.

 

What did you do wrong?” Jihyo asked coming out of nowhere, standing beside the younger girl's door. Her sudden presence startled the weak-heart, Dahyun.

 

Unnie, knock the door.” She complained while pressing her chest dramatically.

 

Sorry.” Jihyo grinned as she start knocking the door before she enter her sister's room and sit on her bed near to Dahyun.

 

What happen to you lately?” Dahyun begin to ask while she start doing her homework again. She took this as an excuse to move on from her sister's question a while ago, but at the same time she is also very curious of what happened to her.

 

Jihyo sighed shortly, “Thought you never ask.” She make herself lie on the bed with her body facing to Dahyun's direction.

 

Well, I didn't want to bother you so I didn't ask.” Dahyun looked at Jihyo and then continued doing her work.

 

It's because of Nayeon.” Jihyo started slowly.

 

Nayeon? The one with the bunny teeth?” Dahyun just wanted to confirm.

 

Yeah.” Jihyo nodded.

 

I think I heard something about this.” Dahyun said as she recalled back the time where she met Jeongyeon.

 

Jihyo looked at Dahyun with confusion, “What do you mean?”

 

I met your other friend named Jeongyeon with Sana last time.” Dahyun told, still focusing on her book but her mind is somewhere else after Sana's name slipped out from . Sana, She thought. Yeah, that's right before Sana decided to run away from me. Her heart ache again at the thought.

 

Y-you did? What did she say? What were you guys talking about? What did she told you?” Jihyo sounded nervous, asking too many question at the same time that made Dahyun to face her. She is still lying down with a calm expression on her face, as expected Jihyo is really difficult to read.

 

Nothing much, she said that the two of you used to be in a bad term or something.” Dahyun told again. This time, Jihyo jolt up from the bed and approach Dahyun nearer all of a sudden.

 

What else did she said?” She asked.

 

I don't get it. What is going on?” Dahyun asked back with her eyes looking directly to Jihyo's eyes. She don't understand why is this so important, why the two of them is pressuring her with the same question. Are they still on a bad term? Dahyun have this thought.

 

Nothing, I just want to know.” Jihyo hide it with a short laugh, avoiding their eye contact.

 

Whatever happen between you and Nayeon is something to do with Jeongyeon, isn't it?” Dahyun started to pick up the puzzle piece by piece.

 

How much do you know, Dahyun?” Jihyo felt threatened by her own sister, although Dahyun didn't mean to.

 

What happen between you and Nayeon?” Dahyun asked instead of answering her sister's question. This made Jihyo sighed while putting her hand on her forehead as she closed the door from Dahyun's room. She turned back to face Dahyun and bit her lips as she felt a little doubtful of what she is about to do.

 

Jihyo approached Dahyun closer until their forehead bumped gently, Dahyun gasped softly while Jihyo begin to put her hand on her shoulder who is still sitting on her chair and is now frozen by her sister's sudden encounter, “Listen, what I'm about to tell you happened a long time ago and we're not suppose to talk about it anymore. But I'm going to tell you anyway because the problem is still occurring even until now.”

Dahyun can feel the pressure, she gulp in hard and nodded as an answer. Jihyo let go of the younger girl and sit back on the bed, allowing Dahyun to breathe normally again.

 

Last year when I was chosen as the School President, we had our first clinical attachment at the hospital.” Jihyo begin, her heart feels heavy but the burden on her shoulder is slowly lifted.

 

Jeongyeon, Sana and I are assigned in the same ward. It was almost a month of attachment, we had this very serious case about a pregnant woman in her thirties having a side effect after taking the wrong medicine.” Jihyo stopped for a moment to take a deep breath before she continued, “The side effect cause her unborn baby to died.”

 

Dahyun can already figured where the story is going so she tried assuming, “So, one of you gave the wrong medicine.”

 

Jihyo's face saddened as if they can hear her heart broke, shattering at remembering back what happened, “I gave the wrong medicine.” Jihyo point herself with a mad look plastered on her face but her voice is still soft to only let Dahyun able to hear her.

 

She continued, “Jeongyeon took the blame to save me, she was filed with a lawsuit after being called as murdering the baby. I didn't say anything because I was trying to protect myself and my title that I let Jeongyeon took all the blame when it's not even her fault.” Jihyo let her few tears to drop before she proceed, “Now she is expelled from our school as one of the punishment and that's why her sister hate me.”

 

Her sister?” Dahyun asked, slowly processing the whole situation.

 

She's one of the school lecturer called Miss Yoo.” Jihyo answered while wiping her tears away.

 

She knew of what happened?” Dahyun asked.

 

Yes but she can't do anything about it because for the medical profession, it is easier to put the blame on students.” Jihyo replied.

 

So, Nayeon...” Dahyun try to said but she really had no idea what to say at this rate. Everything her sister told her surprised her, all of the information is too much for her to handle but she is impatience to know more.

 

Nayeon wanted to make a last event held by us this year before we graduate. But I told her it's impossible because Miss Yoo will definitely disapprove. She still hate me, I mean why wouldn't she? I made her only sister lose her chance to become a successful person.” Jihyo was still mad at herself.

 

How about the other lecturers?” Dahyun tried.

 

Miss Yoo is too influential.” Jihyo shook her head.

 

Jihyo unnie,” Dahyun could only said in her sympathetic tone. She felt so bad for her sister, imagining her living with this big guilt on her shoulder is so terrifying. So, she sat beside Jihyo to give her a comfort hug and a pat on her back only making Jihyo to turn fragile as she start sobbing quietly on her shoulder.

 

Even though it's already a year ago, but that doesn't change the fact that Jeongyeon is still expelled from school.” Jihyo said, the guilt never leave ever since especially when she remembered back what Jeongyeon used to say which broke Jihyo's heart each time whenever Nayeon complained about the assignment; 'Don't worry, we will all be graduating and then work together in the same hospital. Anticipate on that.' Jeongyeon always reassured her friends.

 

Jihyo remembered Jeongyeon always remind her that the two of them will make a great team as doctors and if she had to choose one health profession, she wanted to be a head surgeon where she joked about using Momo's head as her experiment to make her smart.

 

Unnie, I know Jeongyeon matters to you but you don't have to feel guilty all the time.” Dahyun said, still patting the older girl's back. “I think the two of you need to have a talk, sort everything out because you can't always feel bad seeing her and I'm so sure Jeongyeon is not even mad at you.” She tried to comfort her.

 

Jeongyeon is a fool.” Jihyo sniffed, thinking of her fool friend made her want to hit the fool on the head when she sees her and then hug her like there is no tomorrow. “She has always been.”

 

After Jihyo's secret confession, Dahyun is left alone in her room. She make sure that her sister is really fine inside her own room before she can continue doing her homework. After an hour, she finished it so she throw herself on the bed to relax . She sighed looking up the ceiling in front of her and bit her lips. There she goes again with her habit, hesitating on something; whether she want to call Sana or not. In the end, she fall asleep with her thoughts running on her mind. Mostly, it was about her crush; Sana.

 

The next day was the usual school day, Sana is still avoiding Dahyun or at least that's what Dahyun thought as she haven't seen her for a week now. But still, Dahyun couldn't understand what's the reason for it. Maybe, I did something wrong or maybe it's something I said. But what is it? Where did I go wrong? She told herself over and over again ever since last night. What drive her nuts the most is remembering back the time where Sana left her all of a sudden without saying proper goodbyes, heck she didn't even say anything to tell her that she is about to leave. It made Dahyun to think that it was her fault for the reason why Sana left so suddenly.

In fact she was right, Sana is avoiding her but she is wrong about the part that she is the fault. Sana couldn't enjoy it, she wanted to and she thought she could handle it but Dahyun is the cause of her own happiness and sorrow. She made her happy but she made her too happy to be reminded by her dreadful sorrow. However it is not the younger girl's fault, it was no one's fault and Sana knew that all too well.

 

Hey, who are you hiding away from?” Nayeon asked, looking at the front to see anyone she know then stared back at Sana who is covering her face with her book, sitting on the long red sofa at the foyer.

 

N-no one.” Sana stuttered. “I wasn't trying to hide from anyone.” She was surprised by her friend's presence as she was initially alone.

 

Right, and I didn't see you trying to cover yourself with that useless small book just now.” Nayeon sneered making the latter to role her eyes before Nayeon told her to start moving to go to class together.

 

Jihyo is already here, let's wait for her.” Sana told. Then she remembered back what happened between the two of her friends when she looked at Nayeon's sudden change of expression from being playful to a little bit uncomfortable. It wasn't on purpose, Sana just had a lot of things going on to remember what happened within her friends and she knew it was a selfish act but they all know very too well that everyone in their friendship is struggling in their own problems.

 

Or we can go now.” Sana changed her mind, as she stood up from her seat and taking her stuff with her to start walking.

 

It's okay if you want to wait for her, we can wait for the rest too I guess.” Nayeon said, not sounding too excited or too disappointed. It was very plain and slumber that made Sana to slowly widened her eyes a bit, feeling stunned especially when Nayeon took a seat beside where she originally sit.

 

Okay.” The only word she able to utter.

 

Wait, how do you know she is already here while you've been sitting here covering yourself?” Nayeon is suddenly curious of this, not that it matter to her that much.

 

Er-” Sana need to think, “Well isn't this usually her time to come?” There, covered nicely, Sana thought.

 

But the real answer is actually because she saw Dahyun entering the main building and Sana is sure that Jihyo is coming too.

 

Is it? Or is it because you saw her younger sister passing by just now?” Nayeon asked casually like it's not a tease or a threat or anything. It was simply just a question directed to Sana but it somehow triggered her like she was caught red-handed.

 

Y-you know her sister?” Sana stuttered again like she did few minutes ago.

 

Yeah sort of, because I met her during orientation when she was looking for the School President.” Nayeon answered while fixing her shoe. “And plus Jeongyeon told me about her encounter too which made me sure it is her sister.” Nayeon turned to face Sana.

 

Jeongyeon, Sana thought. Of course she would tell Nayeon. They share almost everything together. So she only nodded.

 

Then, they both stood up from their seat when they saw Jihyo coming in. Jihyo noticed them, and what caught her attention is of course Nayeon being there too but she didn't say anything about it. They only exchange quick glance and proceed to their class together.

Maybe if Sana didn't forgot about her friends' sort-of-fight situation, she wouldn't have to put herself in this awkward and uncomfortable positions sitting between the two of them in class while Momo and Mina is nowhere to be seen. It's not that she hate it, in fact she like the idea of her friends sitting together without having the thought of wanting to kill one another. But however, it's killing Sana inside by the atmosphere she is in.

It was still quite early and Momo is usually late as they assumed that she always wakes up late. But for Mina, she texted in their group at the very last minute like a second ago that she had to visit her grandparents in Japan hence why she is not in school when she should have been.

Few minutes later, the lecture room is almost packed with all third year student expect for Momo who is very late than usual. Another few minute, their lecturer came and Momo is still not present in the class. This made her friends worried, “Where is Momo?” Nayeon asked Sana who only shrugged as a respond.

The lecturer was just about to start the lesson when a running footstep distract her which can be heard ascending from the main door of the lecture room.

 

I'm here, I'm right here!” Momo rushed inside the room, not only her dramatic entrance made everyone laugh but it was also her hand gesture that rise completely high up the ceiling which made her whole scene look very foolish.

 

Yes, Miss Hirai you are here but you are here late.” The lecturer said, emphasizing the last word. This made Momo grinned cheekily like an adorable kid who wants to get away from trouble, but of course her lecturer won't buy it as this is not her first time even though it wasn't always this late. So the lecturer really want to know the reason for her to be this late.

 

See me after class.” She told to the now pouting girl who just got rejected as she nodded her head. Momo then proceed to sit next to Nayeon, an empty seat that was meant for her.

 

Why are you so late?” Nayeon asked quietly just enough for the two of them to hear.

 

I had to send Mina off at the airport.” Momo answered.

 

Are you crazy? We have school.” Nayeon said in disbelief.

 

Yeah that's why I get up so early.” This made Nayeon to look at her even more shocked. “But I fall asleep after sending Mina so that's why I came late.” Well now Nayeon is not shocked anymore because she expect this from Momo.

 

After everyone's class including Dahyun's is over, they had 30 minutes of lunch break. As usual, most students are leaving the building either to go to the cafeteria or somewhere else nearby the university. This is Dahyun's chance to ask Jihyo about Sana's attendance today or if she is lucky, she will meet her herself.

 

Why are you bringing us here again?” Chaeyoung asked the fair skin girl who dragged them to the corridor.

 

To see my sister.” Dahyun answered without looking at her friend as her eyes is focusing to find her sister in the crowd.

 

Okay but why do you need to bring us?” Tzuyu asked this time.

 

Just because.” She stopped her movement and form a smile when she saw Sana who is walking out from her class with her step-sister, Jihyo and their friends Nayeon and Momo.

 

Oh look, it's that cutie from your group Sana” Momo remembered. Sana was off guard that she didn't think she will meet Dahyun here which can be seen from her shocked expression.

 

Dahyun, is something wrong?” Jihyo asked, surprised to see her sister who rarely showed up to Jihyo during school hour.

 

I-I was planning to eat lunch with you, unnie.” Dahyun said. It wasn't her original plan, it was her plan B and it perfectly went right.

 

Oh, why don't we all go then?” Momo was too excited at the thought of eating.

 

Sure, if you guys don't mind?” Jihyo asked her friends but most likely to Nayeon although she was still not looking at her face to face.

 

Then why don't we eat at Jeongyeon's restaurant?” Nayeon suggested, making Jihyo to turn slightly at her. She is not sure if Nayeon is just trying to pressure her purposely about what happened to her and Jeongyeon or if she just really wanted to eat at Jeongyeon's place because they all knew it's her favorite restaurant.

 

Although Jihyo's expression and mind are difficult to read, but Dahyun is already aware of what happen to her sister so she gave a reassurance smile at her that made Jihyo to gently smile back. It's like a reminder to Jihyo that no matter what terms they are on, her friends will never do something so cruel that in the end, she just shrug it off.

 

Sounds like a good idea.” Dahyun smiled. Those smile, Sana thought. I witnessed that precious smile fade away because of my own selfishness.

 

They drove convoy to Jeongyeon's place with Jihyo and Nayeon as the driver. Dahyun and her friends followed Jihyo while Sana and Momo went with Nayeon. As soon as they arrived at the place, the seven of them was greeted by an excited short-haired waitress grinning happily to see such a big groups walking inside her restaurant.

 

Wow, you guys look like a group of idols instead of future doctors.” Jeongyeon giggled as she welcomed them to their table. It's not a surprise visit because Jeongyeon was told ahead that her friends will be coming through Momo's text message. Nayeon took a seat between Momo and Sana. Dahyun is in front of Nayeon who sit next to Chaeyoung and Tzuyu while Jihyo sit at the corner of the table near to Sana and Tzuyu.

 

Where is the red carpet I told you to roll for me?” Nayeon joked making the others chuckled.

 

In your dream, Nayeon.” The latter teased back, standing behind Jihyo before laughing along. “I see 2 new faces.” She then said, flashing her charming smile to them.

 

Oh yeah, these are my friends.” Dahyun properly introduced Chaeyoung and Tzuyu to everyone and they start exchanging names afterward.

 

Where is Pingu?” Jeongyeon noticed that Mina is not there with them.

 

She went to Japan to visit her grandparents.” Nayeon answered.

 

Okay, that's enough of talk now because Miss Hirai is getting grumpy.” Jeongyeon giggled while flipping her small notebook and taking out her pen. “May I take your order?” She asked.

 

The girls decided to share their food so they order for 7 serving. Most of them have the same taste preference so it's not too difficult for them to choose their dish. While they were waiting for their food, all of them interact and start getting to know each other. However, Sana is still avoiding eye contact with Dahyun but the younger girl keep on glancing at her. She bit her lip, fighting her own thought knowing that this is not a good time to bring up whatever happen to them. But it suffocate her, Dahyun really want to know why Sana acted like this. At the very least, I get to see you again Sana, Dahyun told her mind while looking at Sana endearingly despite her heart breaking a little.

Jeongyeon and Jihyo didn't talk much, they only talk about Jeongyeon's plan on taking over her parents' restaurant in the future. Nayeon and Tzuyu talked about their dogs and Chaeyoung just joined them while also listening to Momo's whine about her being hungry and Dahyun trying to comfort the blonde girl with Sana smiling at them.

Jeongyeon got up from her seat when her mother called her to serve her friends' food. Momo smiled widely at the sight of her 'Jokbal' being serve to her. The girls becomes very quiet when they are eating not because they are awkward but because they are savoring their food wholeheartedly especially Momo who is already having her 3 round of rice bowl. Jeongyeon joined them after, sharing her lame jokes to make the atmosphere even more lively while her friends are feasting. Usually Nayeon would rolled her eyes at her jokes and tell her to stop but as it has been a while and they all missed it, she didn't stop the lame friend from joking around. Surprisingly, the bob-haired girl find her joke really funny that she turn red from cracking so hard.

 

Chaeyoung, you are the Queen! Thank you for laughing at my joke like no one ever did. I'm your Joker.” Jeongyeon gave the girl a bump on the knuckle.

 

That's right, no one ever laugh at your joke.” Nayeon agreed, laughing at herself.

 

You finally found your no jam brother, Jeongyeon.” Jihyo added making Nayeon to laugh even more at the 'No Jam Brother.'

 

Wow, look at the two of you allying on teasing me.” Jeongyeon sneered making the others laugh as Jihyo and Nayeon exchange a shy smile.

 

Their lunch ended pleasantly with warm hugs with the owner of the restaurant and a group photo with the friends. When they are about to leave, Jeongyeon stopped Jihyo by grabbing her arm.

 

Jihyo,” She called and the latter respond with her already big eyes to widened even more.

 

Yes?” Jihyo said.

 

Let's hang out some other time, just the two of us.” She said making Jihyo to smile as this is also what she wanted.

 

That will be very nice.” They both smiled before Jihyo leave.

 

Back in the university,

 

We should have a dogs' hangout sometime.” Momo said, “I love dogs so much.” She grinned at Tzuyu who nodded vigorously at the idea.

 

That's actually a good idea, Momo.” Nayeon smiled at her as they went inside the building to the foyer of their university.

 

While the three of them were talking about dogs, Sana and Jihyo are the last one to enter the building after Dahyun and Chaeyoung who joked around with their phones on their hand.

 

What happen to you lately?” Jihyo asked Sana. “You become even more depressed than you already are.”

 

Sana didn't say anything nor show any expression to Jihyo.

 

I notice you're not talking to Dahyun today too. Is everything okay?” This question made Sana widened her eyes and turn her head to her friend before she make sure Dahyun is not looking back at them.

 

Jihyo,” Nayeon called. This made the girl widened her eyes even more big, shocked expression on her face along with Momo and Dahyun who did not expect it too. Nayeon's call was not too friendly nor too cold, it was again plain and slumber. But Momo knew she sounded like she is trying.

 

Jihyo quickly gave her respond, “Yes Nayeon?” Of course, Jihyo is more surprised than anyone else because she is not aware of this sudden interaction. It's not like they knew when will they talk again. So even if they knew they will eventually talk after what happened, they still didn't know the time where they will start to reconcile.

 

I need the key to the Student Council room to take some of my stuff, I lost my key again.” Nayeon bit her lips at her last sentence, her eyes on the floor which made Jihyo smiled unconsciously as this is not her first time hearing this. The only members who have the key to their room is Jihyo and Nayeon, it was originally just Jihyo and Jeongyeon but Jeongyeon passed the key to Nayeon.

 

Okay, I'll go with you since I also need to take some forms.” Jihyo told her, as they start leaving together.

 

Just like that, they are bonded once again. I wish it was that easy between me and Sana, Dahyun thought. Maybe because Nayeon and Jihyo unnie have known each other for a long time now. I envy them. Indulge with her own thought, she didn't realize that her short and tall friends had already left, of course they already left because they didn't know what happened and thought it's just a normal thing. Tzuyu didn't forget to say goodbye to Momo who only nodded with a smile but is actually still spacing out.

Leaving only the three of them at the foyer, the two older girls' eyes met and that's when Momo's dopey expression turn into a mischievous smirk. Although she didn't know what happened between her friend and Dahyun, but just like Jihyo she noticed that they weren't talking to each other today too. Most importantly, she wanted to tease Sana as she think that Dahyun might have liked her. In this case, Momo is right about Dahyun liking her friend.

 

Oh look, Mina is calling me. I have to pick up this phone-call.” She smiled before leaving them for good. It was a lie, of course Sana know this. How did she know? Well, because the direction her friend went is to the cafeteria. They still have a few more minutes before class, the third year's second lecture usually start late so Momo took this chance to eat some dessert; that's what she told herself when she hopped excitedly to her destination.

 

Did Chaeyoung and Tzuyu just left me? Dahyun frowned, not even aware of her crush standing at the foyer with her. Why?

 

It's like Chaeyoung can hear what Dahyun has on her mind that she answered her question indirectly to herself, I don't know if I'm right or wrong but I think I know who your someone is, Dahyun. Whatever that bother you these days, I hope it settled today. She smiled while locking arm with Tzuyu, planning to have stop at the restroom before going to their lecture hall.

 

Are you going to class?” Sana asked, pulling Dahyun back to Earth who has been on her mind lately due to the whole situation and confusion that she still need to process.

 

Oh? yeah- er wait I mean no. Not yet.” Dahyun stuttered, scratching at the back of her head. Sana only nodded, trying not to smile at the scene of blushing Dahyun just in front of her but she eventually let out a soft chuckle. This made Dahyun smile but to blushed even more.

 

Listen, do you want to... talk?” She tried. She's been holding herself to ask all of these questions she had on her head, so she started slowly.

 

Talk about what?” Sana pretend not to know, more like trying to reject the younger girl's attempt. “There's nothing to talk about.” She told the girl, but more like a force of self-reassurance.

 

Really? Because I thought I did something wrong that it seems like you're avoiding me.” Dahyun said with her sad tone that can no longer be hide. This break Sana's heart into pieces with her mind filled with self-blame and self-hatred. I don't understand, she said to herself.

 

I've been trying so hard to understand what is going on.” Dahyun told the older girl who is clearly tired of hiding it away, “Is there something going on?” She asked genuinely.

 

I don't understand this too Dahyun. I tried not to be too selfish for Jaebum, but now I've become too selfish for you. The fact that I already care for you just the same as Jaebum despite only knowing you for a few weeks and meeting you for a few time is unexplained.

 

Just like you, I've been trying to understand what is going on too. So sadly, I don't have the answer to your questions.

 

You should go to class, you don't want to be late.” Sana gulped making Dahyun's expression fell at the older girl's remark. “I should leave too.” Sana said again, lifting her feet to walk while Dahyun just stood there blankly.

 

All of the questions and thoughts she had on her mind sink in the well draining like it's being flush away to the pit. Her mind is clear in a bad way as nothing comes in her head followed by her emptiness feeling. She swear she can almost feel her heart stop beating for a brief second when she realized Sana is leaving her again. This scene that she hate so much, it's like a 'de-ja-vu' but is so much worse because her questions are ignored.

 

I'm sorry Dahyun but you are more than I thought you are to me. You're not just simply a someone who could make me happy. In fact, you are my light. And at this moment, I'm not ready to grab that light yet... Because I'm still waiting for someone.