01 YOUR SMILE

Save Me, I'm Not Fine

It's 4 am on Monday morning. The sun is not rising yet and the wind is still breezy. She can feel the chill from the cold blow of the wind running down her spine, her nose is ticklish by the cool temperature from inside the porch. She buried her face inside her scarf that surround her neck, grasping both of her cold hands together and start rubbing it to produce body heat. She let out a deep sigh, closed her eyes for a brief moment before she went back inside the house just to pick up a lunchbox and her car key on the dining table.

Since it's still early in the morning, there's only few vehicles so the traffic is fast and the road is smooth to take. She is able to arrive to her destination within 15 minutes. She parked her car at the usual spot which is at the opposite side of the main building. She want to avoid traffic during lunch time knowing that there will be so many cars today. So she'd rather walk from the other side.

 

Okay great, you're here. Start preparing.” Her colleague said as soon as she stepped inside the building, greeting her with pile of documents and two boxes of poster.

 

She knew that today is going to be a busy day so she didn't complain and start doing her work. She is aware that this isn't her only responsibility so she wants to finish it quickly before lunch time. She start with arranging the report file for the newcomers who will be attending their university. She is one of the student council member so this is one of her task, organizing an orientation event for the new first year students. She is currently in her third year as a medical student before her internship next year. Thus, by getting used to having many responsibilities will help her prepare for her internship. However, having too many responsibilities can be too hard to handle.

 

Good morning.” Mina greeted with a cheerful smile on her face.

 

Morning.” She respond back to her friend's greeting with a light smile while stretching her arm. She almost finish organizing the files and it has been almost an hour after she started.

 

Sana, you know that you don't have to come today right?” Mina said. She begin to help her putting back the organized documents inside the file.

 

Why would you say that?” She asked.

 

Because you need a rest. Don't overwork yourself. Take a break.” Mina answered, with a concern look on her face.

 

I'm fine Mina, don't worry about me.” Sana smiled reassuringly to her friend.

 

Ever since the tragic incident, Sana has changed completely. She isn't the bright and cheerful person anymore. She isn't the chill and carefree type of person like she was before. She becomes sensitive, weak and lost. She is becoming more anxious about everything. Fear always creep upon her without any valid reason. She is scared, worried and vulnerable to her own surrounding. But she pushed herself too much, thinking that overworking will help her to distract her from her own misery. She was wrong. The work stress only triggers her more.

 

Sana, where's the poster? There should be posters sticking outside the building by now.” The same girl from earlier this morning said, now taking the organized files from Sana and leave again. Sana began sticking posters outside the building with Mina's help which speed up the work.

 

There, that was the last piece.” Mina said gleefully, patting the bottom of the last poster onto the wall. She got tired from moving a lot in a long duration that she rest her head on Sana's shoulder who is sitting against the wall next to her. The weather outside is still cold but as soon as the sun begin to rise, the temperature is slowly getting warmer.

 

Oh there you are!” Nayeon said while approaching the two girls who just rested. She is carrying another box of posters with her. “Last box.” She said as she hand it to Sana but this time she didn't leave immediately like she did few hours ago.

 

Mina, I need you inside so Sana has to do this alone.” She told them.

 

Mina looked at Sana, feeling worried for no reason. “You can do it alone right?”

 

Sana nodded as her respond. She stood up and start sticking the remaining posters without wasting anymore time while they leave, to go inside the building. In the midst of taping poster, a girl with a light brown hair interrupt her.

 

Excuse me, sorry for disturbing.” She said to Sana who stopped doing her work to look at the girl. She got startled by the girl's appearance as soon as they face each other. Her light brown hair matched with her fair skin tone, Sana thought.

 

Yes? What can I help?” Sana respond back. Her focus shift to the girl's glossy pinkish lip and then to her pointy nose before she met her sparkly brown eyes.

 

Excuse me, are you listening?” The girl snapped her finger in front of Sana, trying to get her attention.

 

Oh, yes. Sorry, what did you just say?” Sana asked again because she wasn't listening to the girl who talked to her a while ago. Now the girl is laughing at her as she must have find Sana amusing. This made Sana blush, slowly feeling the heat from her cheeks.

 

I said, where can I find Park Jihyo?” She asked again, still smiling at Sana.

 

Oh, our school president. She is probably somewhere inside the building. Just ask around once you enter this big building in front of you.” Sana answered her, giving her the direction too.

 

Alright, thank you err-” She stopped as she didn't know how to address the helper.

 

Sana.” She told her name to the girl.

 

Alright Miss Sana, thank you.” The girl give her another bright smile before she leave.

 

Her smile is so pretty, so genuine and so innocent. It remind her of her boyfriend, Im Jaebum. She thought she will never see that smile again but she just witnessed it today. She want to see more of it. A sudden throb from her heart break her tears, a two or three tears drop at the thought of Jaebum. She can't be seen crying like this so she wiped off the tears from her face immediately and continue her work.

It's not Sana's first time to be reminded of her boyfriend. A lot of things in fact, had remind her of Jaebum like his favorite chocolate rocky ice cream flavor from the ice cream truck that usually come during lunch hour in front of the university, or the wooden bench where they had their first date together next to the red mailbox that belongs to the university or sometimes even a small gesture, like rubbing the nape of neck remind her of shy Jaebum. She missed it, she missed everything about him. She missed him, she missed his smile the most; his smile that no one can ever replicate. However, the girl from before has his smile which made Sana to feel confuse and anxious. It is one thing that Sana has been craving for, she didn't expect that she would be able to see that smile from the light brown haired girl.

Sana finally enter the building after she finished with the posting. Mina and Nayeon is nowhere to be found, so she thought that they might already be inside the hall. Sana look at her wrist watch, it's almost 8 am, the orientation is about to start.

 

Sana, you are in charge of the admission with Momo.” The president, Jihyo instructed from a distance. Sana gave her an 'Okay' sign using her finger before the president disappeared to somewhere else.

 

Sana went to the hall as instructed by their president and immediately spot Momo sitting on the admission table outside of the hall, waving at her.

 

Come sit, we need to start now because there's already students lining up.” She told her, pulling the chair beside her for Sana to sit.

 

Sana is glad that she can finally sit after standing for so long outside the building. Momo passed her a yellow file that contain all the information for the applicants such as orientation guidebook, forms that need to be completed and their report file. For the admission, Sana's task is to give the yellow file to the new students, along with their school PE attire as well ask for their signature to confirm their attendance.

 

During admission, Sana encounter the light brown haired girl again. She is wearing red checkered flannel and a white t-shirt inside, with ripped blue jeans that match well with her brown timberland. On her left shoulder is a white sling bag, which she adjusted when she bend half of her upper body down to greet Sana. Sana replied back with a bow.

 

Hello,” She greeted first before Sana, giving her the pretty smile. Sana remembered this smile, it's the smile that made her cry this morning. Part of her want to run away now because she doesn't want to be keep on reminded of her boyfriend, but part of her want to cherish the sight of it. What is this odd feeling? What is this aura the girl send me? Sana thought to herself.

 

Kim Dahyun?” Sana read her name from the yellow file. The girl nod her head with a hum as her respond. Sana nodded back while she start preparing for Dahyun's stuff.

 

It's our second encounter for today.” Dahyun tried to initiate the conversation. She sound so cheerful, Sana begin to wonder how can a person always be this happy. Unknowingly, she thought that she must have forgotten the feeling. A sudden jealousy hit her.

 

Yeah. We'll be seeing each other a lot more often too now that you are accepted. Congratulation.” Sana replied almost emotion-less, while handing her the yellow file. She isn't sure of her own feelings and thoughts at the moment. The respond she made came out naturally. The tiredness must have been felt now, she thought.

 

Her respond must have startled Dahyun that she bit her lower lip like a children who just got punished for stealing lollipop from her friend. It wasn't anyone's fault but they both feel guilty out of nowhere.

 

Did I make her sad? Sana thought.

 

Did I make her mad? Dahyun thought.

 

Here, please change to this attire before going inside the hall.” Momo said, concluding their short conversation. She is just doing her work as one of the student council, but she can sense the strange atmosphere.

 

Everyone gather inside the hall after the admission, Sana and Momo went inside too. She found Mina who is talking to president, Jihyo at the bottom of the stage. Mina is in charge of the microphone and slideshow.

 

Sana, that girl keep on staring at you.” Momo nudged, her eyes pointing at the light brown haired girl who is standing between two girls in the middle of the hall. They were still in front of the main door, so they are not too far from her.

 

It's the girl from the previous, right?” Momo asked when Sana had already found the girl. Their eyes met for a brief moment before the girl turned her head away quickly.

 

Kim Dahyun.

 

Yeah, she is.” Sana answer her friend's question.

 

I think she have crush on you.” Momo teased, but part of her joke sounds like she meant it.

 

That's too quick for you to assume.” Sana replied back.

 

Too bad you're straight.” Momo crossed her arm, while glancing at Dahyun. “If you don't want her, I want her. She's a cutie.” She grinned cheekily.

 

What happen to liking Mina?” Sana said, her eyebrows furrowed.

 

I'm just saying.” She giggled.

 

Don't play with her. She had a hard time accepting her own uality because of you.” Sana remind her.

 

I know. But even after finding out our own uality and interest, nothing change between the two of us.” Momo said, now looking serious.

 

That's probably because the two of you haven't convey it to each other properly yet.” Sana sighed, she knew that her two friends are having a hard time with their feelings. But as a middle person, she can only give advice and listen to them because it's the two of them that needs to speak their hearts out.

 

What about you?” Momo asked because she is worried.

 

What about me?” Sana asked back.

 

I'm not saying this to hurt you, but you know all too well that you need to move on and prepare yourself for … your upcoming loss.” Momo told Sana. She expect this to come from her friend, matter of fact everyone has been telling her the same thing so she is not surprised anymore.

 

Jaebum is not dead yet. It's too early for that.” Sana gulped the big lump on . The thought of her boyfriend dying always scared her, it makes her want to cry because of the guilt that lingered around her. Her answers made Momo speechless as she is aware that silence is a better application for this moment.

 

You guys, these are the group numbers that you are in charge of.” Nayeon appeared of nowhere with two small placards on her hands. Nayeon is rushing again, instructing the two girls to gather their groups immediately before leaving.

 

I'll take number 6, you take 7.” Momo said as she leave.

 

Is it a coincident? Dahyun is in group 7, with the two girls earlier standing with her.

 

Can I have attention?” Jihyo said on the microphone, the sound of the crowd begin to fade as their attention is given to Jihyo.

 

 

Alright, we will be having our tour now as stated from your schedule. So please remember your group and your leader who will be guiding you during the tour. If everyone is already in their groups, you can start the tour with your respective groups following your leader.” She announced.

 

Sana make sure everyone is in her group before she start bringing them outside. There were only 5 to 6 people in one group so it's not too difficult for her to handle by herself. She start with the concourse building, moving from the ground floor to the top floor and then proceed to the extension building nearby.

Her group 7 is already tired from all the walking, so Sana gave them a break before going to their last tour around the university's library. They rested outside the concourse building where there are vending machines. Sana only bought a drink for herself while her groups are feasting snacks together. Sana sits away from her group; being an anti-social as she has been lately, she took out her phone from her pocket and played with her phone. Unaware of her surrounding, she was greeted by Dahyun who came to her with a gummy bear on her hand.

 

Gummy bear?” She offered the colorful snack to Sana. Sana's eyes widened as she really didn't expect Dahyun to talk to her after what happened.

 

Thanks.” Sana took the gummy bears from Dahyun's hand, without looking directly into her eyes. She didn't know why she felt awkward when this fair skin girl approached her.

 

Miss Sana, did I make you mad during the admission?” Dahyun asked with courage, she couldn't help with her own curiosity. It was out of nowhere, Sana felt attacked by the girl's bravery as she didn't see that coming.

 

No.” Sana answered, keeping it short.

 

Then why are you avoiding my eyes?” Dahyun asked again, slowly attacking Sana's composure. Her tone is calm when she asked, but it somehow triggers Sana.

 

Sigh, why is she doing this? Sana thought as she felt a little annoyed because she is still trying to figure it out too. She doesn't have the answer to the girl's question.

 

It's your smile. It remind me of someone.” Sana finally answered after a moment of silence between the two. That's the only reason Sana can give her.

 

Is it someone you truly adore?” Dahyun asked bluntly. Where did she get this courage to ask such question? Is she simply being rude or is she really curious? Sana has these thoughts on her mind. She is aware of herself that she might take things personally.

 

Let's continue the tour. Tell your friends to gather.” Sana said, ignoring the girl's question.

 

With that, Dahyun knew that she had to stop trying. At least, just for now. She knew that she have to understand her even though she's not satisfy with it.