See You On The Next Trip 4

Heights and Sunsets
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Short Story Title: See You On The Next Trip

Chapter Title: A Little Change Of Plans

 

Okay, so this became a little too long in my opinion. It’s 15 pages long in MS Word. Longer than my academic paper. Anyway, please enjoy. I also lied about this short story containing only 4-5 chaps. It’s obviously gonna take longer than that.

 

“Mom!” Lisa yells as soon as she entered their house. Her mom walks out of the kitchen with her phone between her shoulder and ear. She waves at Lisa, gesturing the girl to come to the kitchen. “What is it?” Lisa whispers, sitting right on the counter, taking an apple from their fruit basket.

 

“Uhuh. Okay.” She heard her mom say. “I got it. Bye.”

 

“What is it mom?” Lisa repeats. Her mom sighs as she puts her phone down.

 

“I have to fly to Switzerland tomorrow evening.”

 

Lisa’s eyes widen, “You do? Why didn’t I know about this?”

 

Mrs. Manoban grunts, opening the fridge to get herself some water. “I knew you’d forget. I have a conference there, I told you about this two weeks ago...”

 

Lisa scoffs teasingly, “Pfft, you’re probably just meeting up with dad.”

 

“That’s already given crackhead... if you want you can come with me so we could spend time as a family.”

 

Lisa jumps off the counter, facing her mom. “I don’t want to.” She says coldly.

 

Mrs. Manoban sighs. She had expected Lisa to react this way but somehow, she hoped Lisa would let go of her grudge. “Lisa, you can’t hate on your father forever.”

 

“I don’t hate him. I just… don’t wanna see him...” Lisa says, but before she exits the kitchen, she turns around facing her mom once again then says, “Ever.”

 

Mrs. Manoban sighs in defeat. She knows she won’t be able to make her daughter talk or see her dad. “Anyway, I have to go back to the office, I need to get some things.”

 

Lisa nods then leaves her mom in the kitchen. It hurt her to see her mom this sad about her relationship with her dad, but she can’t help it. She wanted to forgive him but her whole being just can’t. She closes the door behind her and almost instantly, her phone rings.

 

Her face turns sour when she sees a number that isn’t registered on her phone. She contemplates for a minute before finally answering the call.

 

“Who’s this?” She says grumpily, dropping her bag on the floor.

 

“Lisa?”

 

Lisa automatically regretted answering the call like that. She already knew who it was, she could tell by the tone of her voice. “Jennie?”

 

“Hey... everything alright? You sounded so grumpy when you answered the call.”

 

Lisa jumps on her bed, plopping her head down on her pillow. “Yeah, I just thought you were a scammer.”

 

“Well I am not.”

 

Lisa giggles as she thought of teasing Jennie with her weird facts, “How sure are you?”

 

“Lisa— I swear I’m gonna punch you if you tell me more of that studies said.”

 

Lisa laughs, teasing never got this better. “What? I was just going to confirm if you are sure or not.”

 

“Of course, I’m sure!” Jennie screams, making Lisa laugh even more.

 

“If you say so...”

 

Lisa could hear Jennie’s soft grunts and it made her smile. “Stop it with that kind of voice, makes me think of how many ‘studies said’ you have up on your sleeves.”

 

“I have quite a lot, wanna hear them?”

 

“Nope. No no no. I have enough for today.” Jennie says, laughing while shaking her head as if Lisa could see it.

 

Silence fell upon them for a few seconds before Lisa spoke with a soft voice, “What made you call?”

 

“I don’t know,” Jennie sighs and Lisa could hear the muffled sound of Jennie’s sheets moving, “I just kind of got worried when you ran off, thought something bad happened.”

 

Lisa chuckles softly, “It was just my mom reminding me that she’ll be flying to Switzerland tomorrow for a conference. So, she wanted me to come home early, so she can remind me about the do’s and don’ts and stuff...”

 

“Sounds to me like she’s reminding a 12-year-old not to burn the house down.” Jennie teases.

 

“That tops the list actually.”

 

The two fell under silence again. Only their breathings could be heard. It didn’t bother them though. Not one bit. If it’s between them, silence won’t be a big deal. Lisa stares blankly at the ceiling as she lays flat on her back and unknowingly, Jennie does the same.

 

“Thought you’d be playing games right now...” Jennie says, sparking another conversation that ended the silent moment they were having.

 

“I was going to, but you called.”

 

“Hey— you’re making it sound like I’m a disturbance between you and your video games. Am I?”

 

Lisa laughs at Jennie’s failure of sounding hurt, it was awfully done that she had to burst out laughing, “Yeah,”

 

As soon as Lisa blurted out her word, she heard the phone beep, signaling that the call had ended. Lisa abruptly sat straight, her eyes wide as she unlocks her phone. “. . .”

 

She quickly redials Jennie’s number and within a second, the call was answered with a laughing Jennie on the other line.

 

“Got you.” She heard the brunette say.

 

Lisa stifles a laugh, going lying back down on her bed. “I’m glad you called...” she unknowingly admits. Lisa, herself, was completely shocked at her confession but there’s no way of taking it back.

 

Jennie was trying her best to control her smile. It was just a few words but the effect on her is something. It made her feel light and a bit giddy.

 

“My head hurts,” she heard Lisa say.

 

“You should rest,” Jennie says as she heard Lisa move around.

 

“Nope, gotta study you know.”

 

“What else do you have to study for? Lessons for your next term?” Jennie chuckles, finding Lisa’s obsession with studying amusing.

 

“Studies I can annoy you with.” Lisa replies blandly, putting down her laptop beside the pile of notes on the floor.

 

“Whatever, just don’t stay up too late ‘kay?”

 

“Yes mom.”

 

Jennie’s gaze stays on the ceiling once again. A smile forms on her lips as she felt traces of comfort roaming around inside her. She could hear Lisa breathing, making her think that the latter is in deep thoughts. She wanted her to speak, she wanted Lisa to talk about anything, she wanted to hear her voice. But on top of all that, she wanted to know why. Why does she feel so much comfort from the latter?

 

“Jennie?” She heard Lisa say softly.

 

She hummed in response, urging Lisa to speak more.

 

“I’m gonna study now,”

 

“Oh sure, I have to sleep early anyway, have to visit grandma.”

 

 

Lisa moved her neck from left to right, trying to crack the bones to loosen the pressure she feels. She could feel her head hurting again, she brought her fingers on her temple, massaging it lightly. She sighs before continuing to read another research. However, only five minutes in, she feels another wave of pain in her head.

 

“Alright, let’s call it a night.” She breathes out, shutting her laptop down. She exhales and as soon as she stands, she felt dizzy. She stumbles a bit; her arm immediately reaches for the edge of her table to sustain balance. “...” she sighs.

 

She carefully lies down on her bed, heaving out a sigh as soon as she felt the softness of her mattress. She groans feeling her head hurt even more. She clutches on the left side of her head, hoping it would lessen the pain. She could feel hammer-like pounds inside her head and it made her grip on her head tighter.

 

The walls of Lisa’s room seemed to be moving around her. She could feel herself getting suffocated by the second. She wanted to get up, but her body felt heavier than a boulder. Even shifting to her left side took so much energy from her. The pain in her head lessen but it’s still there, pounding every minute.

 

“Mom?” She yelled but it came out like a whisper, her voice was hoarse, and felt dry.

 

She struggled to get up, but when she was able to do so, she fell with a loud thud.

 

 

The beeping sound in every room Chaeyoung passes by felt oddly familiar for her. She was just here a few days ago when Jisoo got a little bit sick from eating too much chicken. Now she’s back. Too soon. In her opinion. She scans the hallway for the room number the reception gave her. Annoyance was written all over her face when she gets to the last room in the hall but there’s no sign of the room number she had memorized all the way.

 

Wrong hall.

 

She turns around, running faster than Usain Bolt, as she roams the other hall. Panic covers her face as she spots Lisa’s mom pacing back and forth across the hall.

 

“Auntie!” Chaeyoung calls out.

 

“Hey sweetie...” Mrs. Manoban bids good bye to whoever she was talking to hug Chaeyoung.

 

“What happened?” Chaeyoung asks as soon as Mrs. Manoban released her from the hug.

 

“I don’t know, I just found her unconscious on the floor.”

 

Worry was all over Mrs. Manoban’s voice and facade. The middle-aged woman seemed restless, Chaeyoung could say by how heavy her eyes seemed and how her hair was slightly messy.

 

It’s only 6AM, according to Chaeyoung’s watch. She grabs Lisa’s mom by the shoulder, comforting the older woman. “You seemed tired Auntie. You should get some rest, I’ll look after Lisa. She’s not gonna like it if she sees you restless.”

 

The older woman sighs, she couldn’t bring herself to rest until she’s sure about what happened to her daughter. But Chaeyoung is right, Lisa doesn’t like people worrying and getting restless because of her. She wanted people to see her as someone who doesn’t need much attention. Mrs. Manoban sighs in defeat. They both head inside Lisa’s room and Mrs. Manoban can’t help but worry even more upon seeing her daughter hooked up in dextrose.

 

“Are you gonna be alright here?” She turns to Chaeyoung who seemed to be in the same state as her.

 

The younger girl smiles weakly, but it was enough to assure Mrs. Manoban. “Of course auntie, Jisoo is also on her way here.”

 

Mrs. Manoban smiles gratefully at her, running her palm down the girl’s hair. “Thank you so much dear.”

 

 

“What the hell happened to you?” Chaeyoung whispers, sitting next to Lisa’s unconscious body. She scans Lisa’s pale body and smiles sympathetically at her.

 

 

 

“I forgot to buy us breakfast, I was rushing to get here...” Jisoo instantly utters when she opened the door to Lisa’s room.

 

Chaeyoung groans at the disturbance.

 

“Damn it Jisoo!” She grunts under her breath.

 

Jisoo lowers her head, an apologetic smile plastered on her face as she walks toward Chaeyoung.

 

“How is she?” Jisoo whispers, afraid to wake Lisa up.

 

Chaeyoung glances over Lisa before responding, “I guess she’s fine, she hasn’t woken up.” She puts her attention to Jisoo then says, “I’ll buy us some breakfast.”

 

Jisoo could see through Chaeyoung. She could see how worried the girl is. She walks closer to Chaeyoung, engulfing the girl in a tight hug.

 

Chaeyoung’s slim arms encircled around the latter’s waist. She pressed the side of her head against the latter’s chest, finding comfort as she did.

 

“Don’t worry too much Chaeng, she’ll be fine.”

 

“I can’t help it, I can’t help but worry too much when something happens with one of you. You two are the weakest .”

 

Jisoo laughs at the humor of her friend. She caresses the girl’s back, waiting for her laughter to die down before releasing Chaeyoung from the hug. She looks at Chaeyoung with a smile that comforts the latter. “And we thank you for taking care of us. So please, don’t worry too much.”

 

Before Chaeyoung could even react, a soft pair of lips landed against her forehead. She stiffened for a second before relaxing under the warmth of Jisoo’s kiss. “Thanks,” she says, smiling at Jisoo, who had just removed her lips from her forehead.

 

 

 

With both of her hands occupied, Chaeyoung found it hard to reach for her ringing phone. She grunts upon struggling to get out of her ridiculously skinny jeans. She roamed her eyes around looking for something to put their breakfast. She smiled widely upon seeing an empty bench near the emergency area of the hospital. When she reached the empty bench, the ringing had stopped.

 

She sees Jennie’s name on the screen bringing herself questioning the re

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter