Heights and Sunsets

Heights and Sunsets
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Friday isn’t really Jennie’s day. Seeing her best friend having so much fun with some girl saddens her. She’s okay with Lisa being friends with almost everyone in school but seeing her spend more time with a girl makes it hard for her to accept the fact that Lisa is so good no can’t help but fall for her. Who can resist her? Obviously not Jennie.

She sat alone in the table, not expecting any of her friends to have lunch with her since they’re all busy with their extracurricular activities. Except for Lisa, who Jennie expects to be busy with someone else.

Are they dating? Jennie asks herself and the question lead to a conversation in her mind.

If they are, then she would’ve told me. I’m still her best friend right?

Right?

Jennie shakes the thought away. She doesn’t want to reach the point wherein she questions her friendship with Lisa, whether they’re still friends or not. But she can’t dismiss the fact that Lisa and her are growing apart. She feared of them growing apart. She doesn’t want that. She cares for Lisa so much and she doesn’t know if she can bare losing her.

“Jennie!” A voice calls out, pulling her out of her deep thoughts.

She stares blankly at Lisa and then shifts her head towards the left side of Lisa, she sees a quite familiar student and it irked her. Without thinking twice, she walks out of the scene and vanishes before Lisa could stop her.

Later that day, Jennie finds herself crying on the rooftop of their house. Legs crossed and pressed against her chest, she hugged it tighter as she cry harder. What she saw earlier, is somehow a proof of them slipping away from their friendship.

But why? Why is she crying so hard over their soon-to-be washed up friendship? Was it only because their friendship is slowly writhing away? Or is it because all this time, she likes Lisa more than just friends? It is not the first time she questioned her feelings towards Lisa. In fact, she had been questioning that since the day she got irritated with people trying to flirt their way around her friend. She tried covering it up by constructing the idea that they’ve been friends for so long that Lisa became a part of her and thus hating people trying to play with her. But it’s not that simple. She knew she likes her more than that. She knew she hid the feelings but now that she’s crying harder than a baby, she knew that it’s still there. It made her cry even more, realizing that it doesn’t make any less sadder to know that the feelings she has for Lisa is beyond friendship and she can never have a chance with her.

Lisa went frantic when she saw Jennie running away. She went even more frantic when Jennie didn’t show up in their last class. She called Jisoo and Chaeyoung, asking them if they had seen Jennie, but to no avail, they didn’t. Lisa closed her locker so hard that students near her almost dropped their books and phones. She didn’t care. She ran as fast as she can, didn’t even bother to stop when Seulgi called her. All she wanted to do is find her best friend.

She reaches Jennie’s house faster than she thought. She pushes the bell and couldn’t keep herself from tapping her left foot. When she hears the locks move, she stands up straight and waits to see who answered the door.

She sees a middle aged woman with a smile almost similar to Jennie’s sweet smile, “Hi Mrs. Kim, is Jennie here?”

“I think so, I heard someone call out while I was in the kitchen.” Mrs. Kim let Lisa in, “You can check her room.” Mrs. Kim left Lisa to herself as she went back to the kitchen.

Meanwhile, Lisa closes the door behind her and didn’t wait any second to get to Jennie’s room upstairs. She softly knocks on Jennie’s door, waiting for her to answer. But she didn’t get any. A few knocks after, she decided to open the door. She examines the neat room and found no sign of Jennie. However, Lisa saw the huge window right on the left side of the room, open. The curtains sway every time the wind blows and it made Lisa conclude that her best friend is on the rooftop again.

She hated heights. Jennie knows that. That’s why every time Lisa’s here, they would simply spend the time in Jennie’

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter