-IV-

Contract Killer: Vendetta
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Eunbi crossed her arms over her chest as she looked at the skyline. Yerin just had to buy the most expensive penthouse in the central business district. Not that she was complaining though. The view was really good. Not to mention the convenience of getting around.

Yerin had her arms slightly spread and was gripping the railings as she looked at the horizon.

“What are you thinking?” Yerin suddenly asked and Eunbi sighed.

“What do you mean? I don’t understand the need for us to even be out here talking about this. I barely know you.”

“Precisely. You barely know me yet you trust me and want to start some kind of killing spree with me? This isn’t a game, Eunbi.” Yerin said sharply as she turned around to face the girl. Her cold gaze made Eunbi slightly intimidated all of a sudden.

“I know it’s not but why are you against it? I know what I’m doing. I’m a legal adult. You yourself said that I’m a fearless and brutal fighter. So, what’s wrong with me wanting to be an assassin then? Or a contract killer. A hitman.” Eunbi asked, pushing her growing fear to the back of her head. She couldn’t understand how Yerin, who seemed so gentle and caring earlier could suddenly become a cold and hostile person now.

“That was merely a statement. It’s the same as telling someone in high school they’re a good track and field runner. Does that mean they should immediately join the national team? Absurd!” Yerin scoffed contemptuously at her own statement.

“But it’s a way to earn money! I could take missions at night and study during the day.” Eunbi insisted.

“For the love o- This isn’t some part-time job. Okay? Why are you so stubborn? It’s dangerous. It’s not safe. It’s illegal. What don’t you understand?” Yerin asked incredulously.

“I don’t understand why you can do it but I can’t.” Eunbi reasoned, sounding like a child.

“Look. It’s not something that I want. Here I am, giving you a chance to get your life back on track and get some proper education for a proper school, yet you’re throwing it away and saying you want to go down this path. I don’t know what you think this profession is but please, take it as me begging you. Don’t be stupid.” Yerin said. Her eyes were dark and the younger girl felt like she was going to be sent flying off the balcony any moment.

“Then why did you? If you don’t want it then why still do this? You’re only 2 years older than me. Don’t your parents say anything about this?” Eunbi asked but immediately wished she kept shut. The most uncomfortable and choking silence fell upon them ad Yerin balled up her fists.

“Not everyone has a family to guide them in life. Eunbi-ssi.” The girl said calmly but the bitterness was evident in her voice. With that, she walked back into the house, leaving Eunbi alone on the balcony.

“Ugh! Why did I have to say that?” the girl slammed the base of her left palm on the metal railing.

Back at the dining table, there was an uncomfortably thick atmosphere. Yuna had excused herself shortly after Yerin and Eunbi went out to the balcony, leaving Yewon, Sojung and Eunha at the table.

“Do you think they’ll be alright?” Eunha asked to no one in particular.

“Yerin manages her emotions really well. I have never seen her angry before so I guess your friend will be fine. It’s just… This isn’t the kind of thing a college student should be thinking of. Not when they have a bright future ahead of them.” Sojung said and Eunha nodded.

“I’m just asking here, sorry if I seem rude or intrusive, but Yewon-ssi, you are the same age as Eunbi?” Eunha asked cautiously. She wasn’t up for picking any fights with the rest of the members. Certainly not after what just happened.

“I am. Me and unnie, we have our personal reasons. Yuna-unnie too. Be it personal feuds with a certain individual that we want to get back at or just for the job itself. In my case, it was by chance. I was an insider for one of the contracts that Yuna and Yerin took on a few years back. I never thought of entering this very shady business but I was already roaming in the underworld.” Yewon swallowed and glanced at the balcony. “But you have to understand, you and Eunbi-ssi, you two have no business at all with gangs and illegal stuff. She is only chased by mafia members for a debt and not that she worked for them or anything. A debt can be cleared eventually with our help and your name will not even exist in the underworld. You two are absolutely pure. That’s why Yerin-unnie is so upset.”

Eunha could understand why they were so concerned now. Indeed, they had no reason to join. They had no feuds, no desire for killing, no reason to tarnish their clean slate.

“I’ll try to talk to her. Maybe she’s just… High on Tylenol or something.” Eunha said and Sojung smiled.

“You should stay the night, it’s late. There’s another guest bedroom that you could use. I could lend you a set of spare clothes.” Yewon offered.

“Sure, thanks.”

“No problem at all unnie”

 

 

Morning came and Yerin woke to the vibration of her phone on the bedside table. She picked it up and held the phone above her face, squinting her eyes to look at the screen. It was a new contract offer. She rubbed her eyes and pushed herself upright.

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter