-XIII-

Contract Killer: Vendetta
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“How have you been?” Yerin’s brother asked as he wrapped his arms around the girl who relaxed in his embrace.

“I’ve been fine. I haven’t heard that nickname in a while.” Yerin gave her brother a lazy smile.

“Still killin’?” He asked as he knelt before the graves and placed his own bouquet of flowers. Yerin waited for her brother to finish his prayers before answering him.

“Yea. I’m getting closer and closer to... justice.” Yerin said, looking back at her parents.

“You know there’s other ways of gaining inner peace.” Her brother said, eyebrows knitted.

“I know. I’m doing this for the money and for revenge. I got my degree in medicine so I can get a job whenever I decide to quit.” Yerin said and her brother sighed.

“When did you get that degree? I didn’t even know you went back to school.”

“Not too long ago. Seoul National University. I did the course online so you wouldn’t know. Only Sojung and the rest knew.”

“Eish you little rascal.” Her brother said and ruffled her hair, messing up her bangs. Yerin huffed as she fixed her hair.

“What? I’m not all about killing. I need to make omma and appa proud too.” Yerin said.

“That’s good, that’s good... Yennie-ah.”

“Hmm?”

“I want you to know that no matter what, regardless if you do avenge our parents or not, they will be proud of how far you have come. Because I am proud of you. Not that I approve of your current profession, but because of what you have achieved in life.” The man said and Yerin nodded. “You don’t have to pressure yourself if your plan doesn’t flow and that man doesn’t die. As long as you are happy and well and living... It’s enough for me.”

“I understand, oppa. Thank you.” Yerin sniffed as her eyes began to glisten after listening to her brother’s words.

“No problem. We’re family, Yennie. If I’m not proud of you, who else would be?” Yerin’s brother smiled kindly, something that probably ran in their genes. “Unless, of course, you have a special someone?”

“Ah… I don’t. Or should I say… It’s complicated. We’re not together but it’s obvious to everyone in my crew that she likes me. She thinks she’s subtle but she’s really not.” Yerin chuckled at the thought of Eunbi who seemed to act all shy whenever she realized Yerin was around.

“How about you? Do you like her?” The man asked and Yerin shrugged.

“I’m not sure. I had my hesitations and worries but omma and appa here, told me to get my girl.” Yerin smiled and raised the cherry blossom to show her brother.

“Then I guess you have your answer. Love isn’t a bad thing, Yennie. I know you’re scared for your future and the safety of you and your partner but as long as the both of you have each other’s backs, I’m sure everything will work out just fine.”

“You get wiser every day, huh?” Yerin twirled the flower around her fingers and her brother laughed.

“It’s just life. In fact, you’re almost like me, aren’t you? Wisdom grows with experience. You were always mature for your age, though you occasionally act like a beagle. Omma and appa taught you well. To differentiate playtime and work.”

“That, I will agree.” Yerin said softly and stood beside her brother as the cool breeze continued to blow.

 

 

“Mr Kim, Mrs Kim.” Eunha gave the couple a ninety-degree bow.

“Please, uncle and auntie will do. Or appa, omma.” Mr. Kim chuckled at his own sentence and Eunha blushed. She tucked her hair behind her left ear which was red. She wouldn’t consider herself the most social person even though she did work at a restaurant that involves talking to new strangers every 30 minutes or so. Eunha was still a shy person on the inside; even more so in front of her girlfriend’s parents.

“Ah, okay.” Eunha bowed again and Sojung’s parents cooed at the cute girl.

“Where did you find her?” Mrs. Kim asked. “Does she know what you work as?”

Sojung scratched the back of her neck.

“She recently joined us. Yerin and the rest.”

Her parents let out a collective “Ah” and seemed relieved.

“I was worried for a second there that maybe she didn’t know.” Mr. Kim said and Sojung shook her head.

“We’re in the same field now.” She grinned as she looked down at Eunha whose eyes curved into lovely little half-moons.

“How old are you Eunha-yah? You look young.”

“I’m 21 this year.” The shorter girl said.

“Oh? I thought you were younger.”

“Maybe because of her height.” Sojung teased and Eunha slapped the girl’s shoulder.

“Now now, let her live.” Mrs. Kim chortled. “Are you staying for dinner?”

“We’re staying for the week actually. Our bags are in the car. I just got to excited to see you two beautiful people that I left them.” Sojung said as she slung her arms around her parents.

“Aww, why aren’t you a sweet talker. Go get your bags then. And show Eunha around the house.” Mrs. Kim said and Sojung walked back to Eunha, slipping her hand into the younger girl’s and interlocking their fingers.

They walked back to the car to retrieve their bags before Sojung took Eunha on a mini house tour.

“There isn’t really much to see since this place isn’t as big as the penthouse but yea, welcome to my room.” Sojung rambled as she opened the door to her room.

Eunha had been into Sojung’s room plenty of times in the penthouse but there was something different about stepping into this room. It felt different. This was the place where Sojung grew up.

This was where Sojung spent most of her childhood. This was where

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter