-XXIV-

Contract Killer: Vendetta
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“You could see all that from the scope?” Junseo asked in astonishment.

“That and experience,” Yuna said, clapping him on the back. “Relax and wait for the signal.”

The boy nodded and looked down at the water flowing downstream. The sight of it flowing in an undisturbed manner was calming, coupled with the sound of more water trickling from a pipe further up the canal.

“We will close in on the house. On my mark, Yewon’s team will knock on the door. The moment they open it we will start our assault. Stay away from the windows and be on high alert. Those on top will start coming down the stairs and start shooting as well.” Sojung briefed. “Positions.”

They crawled out of the canal and they could see Sojung and Eunha moving through the tall grass, slightly bent down to keep out of sight. Yewon and Yuna looked at each other as they raised their hands to discreetly remove their headsets, switched them off and slipped them into their pockets. They climbed up the stairs to the porch, wooden steps creaking beneath their weight. Yuna looked at Junseo and gestured towards the door, signalling for him to knock. He stepped forward and rapped his knuckles on the wooden surface. Dread and uncertainty filled his gut and he felt like throwing up. Yuna and Yewon stepped back, guarding his sides.

The moment the door opened, Junseo raised his rifle to shoot but felt two muzzles press against the sides of the back of his head.

“Welcome. We have been expecting you.” The man said in the most bone-chilling tone, a crazed grin spread across his lips. Junseo’s throat went dry as he froze in his spot. He couldn’t feel his legs and he felt like his soul had departed from his body, leaving its empty material shell behind. The muzzles prodded his head slightly.

“Give us the gun,” Yuna ordered in a disparaging tone. The boy slowly raised his hands in surrender and Yewon pulled the SL8 from his grasp. “Get in.”

He walked into the house with his hands still raised. Each step felt tremendously heavy as if he had weights strapped to his ankles. His breathing became irregular and the tightness around his chest increased. Dilated pupils trembled as they looked around, desperate for any sign of help. He couldn’t understand what was going on, why did Yewon and Yuna turn the gun on him without warning. Was this some sort of secret plan that he wasn’t informed about?

Junseo could see Sojung and Eunha peering in from the window. He didn’t have to turn his head completely to know that they too, were gobsmacked at the sudden turn of events.

“You might want to call your little friends to come in and surrender before things get... messy.” The man said and cracked his knuckles. Another man that was hanging around the living room stood up and walked to back door, opening it to reveal Yerin and Eunbi who were prepared to shoot the man’s head off. Yuna and Yewon stepped to Junseo’s sides, raising their guns to aim it at the two girls.

“Guns down!” Yewon barked. Yerin looked clearly stunned by the youngest’s words. Eunbi was staring at Yewon and Yuna, equally stunned. Then, she seemed to place a hand on Yerin’s back. The older girl turned back to Eunbi and they seemed to have a silent conversation with their eyes.

Eunbi then placed her gun on the floor and raised her hands, stepping over the gun and towards Junseo. Yerin was slightly hesitant but placed her gun down as well and joined her girlfriend. Soon, Sojung and Eunha had surrendered and joined the now captive crew.

“I really must hand it to you for thinking you could try to ambush us. In broad daylight for that matter. Getting a little cocky huh?” The man taunted as he bumped roughly into Yerin, causing the girl to glare at him with hatred in her eyes.

“Is this how you treat us? So much for trust.” Sojung spat bitterly at Yewon whose gaze flinched slightly. Yerin, however, caught the subtle action.

“If you surrender your weapons, I’ll take you to your precious brother. Boss hates waiting.” The man said. He nodded towards them and the two girls approached to pat them down. They pulled a couple of throwing knives from Yerin’s belt, a switchblade from Eunbi’s back pocket and a swiss army knife from Sojung’s front pocket.

“Move along,” Yuna instructed, raising the MG36 at them and motioned for them to walk to the stairs that would lead to the basement. Unbeknownst to the crew and the gangsters, Yewon slipped the confiscated weapons into her own pockets before following the group.

They walked down the stairs and Yuna opened the door to reveal the exact background that was in the video sent to Yerin. The whole place was lit by orange lights mounted on metal support beams and several fluorescent light bulbs that hung from the ceiling on flimsy mounting. There were more gangsters waiting for them, just as Yewon said. The boss was sitting comfortably in a chair by a corner with a cigar hanging from his mouth. His legs were propped up on the table and there were two, heavily built men by his side. Yejun was nowhere to be seen.

“So, you came. I was beginning to think you wouldn’t show up.” The boss jested with a dry laugh. “But of course, that wouldn’t happen. Those two would make sure you turn up on time or even earlier.” He said, looking at Yuna and Yewon.

“How did you like my surprise? Bet none of you saw it coming.”

“YOU MOTHER

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter