Chapter Ten

Three More Months- Prequel to No Homo, But

Kihyun is sure the older has forgotten their earlier-discussed plans for the night, since he isn’t even home yet. He can’t really blame his boyfriend, considering the week he’s had, but he can’t help but be a bit disappointed nonetheless.

God, Kihyun, he mentally chastises, Hyunwoo got kicked out of his house this week… He’s got more on his plate than some silly little anniversary date. He’s got to work twice as hard now so he can afford things like a cell phone.  He sighs heavily, curling up on the couch as guilt takes over. He hadn’t thought to bring up their date night at school today, having not known that Hyunwoo had gotten an offer for an extra shift that night.

He hardens his gaze at the television screen, deciding to give it a bit more time before he starts putting food away. Who knows? Maybe he’ll be walking in in only a minute…

 

Hyunwoo sighs heavily as he trudges down the sidewalk. It’s been a long day, longer than he had anticipated. But, he couldn’t very well turn down the offer for the extra hours, not after practically begging his boss to throw any extra shifts his way in the first place. At least now it’s over, and he can crawl into bed and sleep in before his afternoon shifts tomorrow with his boyfriend.

He pauses at the door, feeling as if he’s forgotten something. He doesn’t know what, though. He’d made sure to get all his things before leaving school, and he hadn’t taken anything out during work. He has his phone, his keys…

Unable to think of what it could be, he frowns and opens the door. He bends over to take off his shoes and places his bag beside the shoe rack. He would take it with him, but the last thing he needs to be doing right now is homework. He sees the light on in the living room and walks towards it, figuring Kihyun had waited up for him again.

He can’t help but chuckle warmly at finding his cute boyfriend fast asleep on the couch, the television remote still in his hand. His head is dropped to the side, halfly resting against his shoulder. His lips are parted, though no noise comes out. Hyunwoo walks in and gently takes the remote from him, unable to keep from smiling.

Kihyun stirs at the touch, a light a sleeper as ever, and blinks blearily at the sudden appearance of his boyfriend.

“Hyung?” he asks, his voice thickened by sleep. “What time is it?” His eyes are barely even half open, and it’s all Hyunwoo has in him to keep from cooing.

“Just after 1,” Hyunwoo answers softly. Kihyun bolts up, eyes widening as he’s suddenly very much awake. Kihyun glances over at the clock hanging nearby in disbelief, a groan escaping him. Hyunwoo is confused by his behavior, but can’t help but find it endearing all the same.

“Did you eat?” Kihyun asks, standing as he rubs at his face. Hyunwoo nods, making as if to follow him.

“I ate on my last break,” he answers. “Why? You weren’t waiting on me to eat, were you?” he adds as he steps into the kitchen.

It’s then that he sees it, the homecooked dinner. Four side dishes, one entrée, even a dessert set in the center of the table… A cake with candles just waiting to be lit.

Hyunwoo remembers then what it is he’s forgotten, and absolutely hates himself for it.

“Oh, God,” he mumbles, his face blazing red in embarrassment. “Kihyunnie, I’m so sorry. I didn’t even realize what day it was, the week’s been so crazy. I—”

“I know, hyung,” Kihyun sighs, moving to the counter to pull out Tupperware. “You don’t have to explain, I understand. Go on to bed, I’ll clean up here and be there in a minute.” Hyunwoo shifts where he stands, noting his boyfriend’s tense shoulders. Kihyun’s mad, and he can’t really blame him. He walks over, and wraps his arms around the shorter’s small waist. He nuzzles his face into his shoulder apologetically.

Kihyun noticeably relaxes in the hold, leaning back against Hyunwoo. He doesn’t want to be mad, but he can’t help but be peeved about Hyunwoo forgetting about him. Still, he understands the extenuating circumstances, and Hyunwoo is here now, so… He sighs in defeat, turning around and wrapping his arms around the older to return the embrace.

“I swear I’ll make this up to you,” Hyunwoo tells him, his voice a mere whisper in the silent room. Kihyun chuckles breathily, pulling back enough to give him a bright smile.

“You’ve had a long day,” he says, “so the best thing you can do for me right now is to go to bed.” Hyunwoo hums, deciding it best to comply, and leans down to kiss his beautifully caring boyfriend gratefully. He then turns away and shuffles off, allowing Kihyun to get to cleaning.

 

Hyunwoo awakens Kihyun the next morning with breakfast in bed. Granted, the eggs are a little burned, and the rice could’ve done with more time to cook, but Kihyun’s heart just sings at the gesture. They stay in Kihyun’s room for almost half the day, but Hyunwoo eventually has to go back to work.

“One day,” he promises, “I won’t have to work so hard, and every morning can be like this morning.” Kihyun absolutely love the sound of that, and kisses Hyunwoo goodbye with vigor to show him as much. Hyunwoo pouts a little, kissing the younger once more before having to tear himself away. Kihyun can only chuckle at the older’s reaction, and finally gets out of bed to clean the dishes.

 

Hyunwoo’s day was on the road to being absolutely perfect. He’d managed to make things up to Kihyun, he was only working one shift today, and Mrs. Yoo… or eomeonim, is working another graveyard shift, so they’ll have the house to themselves to make another attempt at their date. Yep, the day was looking up for the teenager.

That is, until he gets to work, and he sees who’s waiting for him just outside.