Chapter Six

Three More Months- Prequel to No Homo, But

He what?!!”

“He kicked me out.”

Hyunwoo says it as if it’s nothing, but Kihyun catches the flicker of hurt within his eyes.

“Hyunwoo-ya!” his mother’s voice suddenly interjects, causing both boys to turn in surprise. Her head is leaning around the corner, and a brilliant smile is set on her face. “What a pleasant surprise. Will you be joining us for dinner?”

“Mrs. Yoo,” Hyunwoo says, clearing his throat, “it’s nice to see you. I’d love to join you, if that’s alright.” She hums, nodding her head as she returns to the living room. Kihyun turns back to his boyfriend with a skeptical grin.

“You’re giving me the full story later,” he tells the older in a low murmur. Hyunwoo nods easily at this, and follows the younger into the living room.

 

Kihyun’s mother, luckily, doesn’t ask any questions about the bags Hyunwoo has with him. She also doesn’t ask why Hyunwoo is suddenly staying the night. She merely finishes up her dinner and tells Kihyun to get the cot out of the garage for his friend to use. She then leaves them alone, having to go to work to cover a coworker’s shift, and ruffles both their heads before walking out the door.

Hyunwoo sighs after she leaves, wiping his hands on his napkin one final time. Kihyun watches him with an unamused gaze. He readjusts his position to sit cross-legged on the couch, pulling away from his boyfriend in a silent prompt for him to explain what’s happened.

The older delves then into a retelling of what happened when he got home from school, how his father had kicked him out within the hour. He’d rode the bus for a while after packing up his things, which hadn’t taken long due to his minimalistic tendencies, and had found himself in front of Kihyun’s house before he’d even realized he’d gotten off the bus.

“I didn’t mean to just show up,” Hyunwoo tells him quickly. “I’d have called before if I’d known I’d be here…”

“Stop it, hyung,” Kihyun assures him. He reaches over to place a comforting hand on his knee as he adds, “You know you’re welcome here anytime.” He chuckles as he adds jokingly, “I’m pretty sure my eomma loves you more than me at this point.” Hyunwoo smiles gently at the younger, his demeanor surprisingly calm. Kihyun watches him carefully, as if waiting for him to break.

“Well,” Hyunwoo says as he stands, “I’ll go ahead and get the cot.”

“Don’t be ridiculous,” Kihyun tells him. “You’re sleeping in my bed. After the day you’ve had, you deserve more than a creaky old cot.”

“No, Kihyunnie,” Hyunwoo argues with a shake of his head. “I couldn’t. I’m not even supposed to be here in the first place. I’d feel guilty for making you sleep on a cot.” Kihyun chuckles, shaking his head as well.

“Who said I’d be sleeping on the cot?” Hyunwoo huffs out an amused breath through his nose. Kihyun stands from his perch on the couch and begins picking up the different food containers to take to the kitchen, pausing in his work only long enough to give Hyunwoo a small peck on the cheek.

 

Later that night, the two lie beside each other, in each other’s arms. Kihyun stares up at his boyfriend through the dark, his gentle hand the top of his hair with his eyes glued to the ceiling.

“Are you okay?” he asks softly, his voice barely audible through the shadows. Hyunwoo sighs heavily, the rise and fall of his chest lifting Kihyun’s head with it. It takes Hyunwoo a moment longer to respond than necessary, which only serves to worsen the younger’s concerns.

Finally, he looks down at the smaller, a half-smile quirking up his lips.

“I am, now that I’m with you.”

Thought the answer isn’t particularly satisfactory, it still brings a smile to Kihyun’s face. He finds himself snuggling a bit closer to his hyung, silently assuring the older that he’s there and he’ll never leave as long as he’s needed. Hyunwoo turns on his side and practically cradled Kihyun against his chest, accepting such an offer and promising he’ll always be needed as far as the older is concerned.

 

When Minhyuk asks the next morning why exactly Hyunwoo meets up with them at Kihyun’s side, with a suggestive eyebrow wiggle no less, Hyunwoo tells them what had happened the previous night.

“Hmm,” Minhyuk muses aloud, tapping is chin. “And where did you say your appa works again?” Kihyun rolls his eyes at his same-age friend, and pushes him down the usual path for school as Jooheon and Changkyun follow close beind.

“You’re not going to harass his appa at school, ahjussi,” Kihyun tells him sternly. Minhyuk pouts, and crosses his arms over his chest in defiance.

“Harass is such a harsh word,” Minhyuk muses aloud. “I’d merely have a talk with that stupid, stupid man.” Hyunwoo visibly bristles at this, but Kihyun is sure he’s the only one that notices it judging by how Minhyuk continues to babble about just what he’d say to his father when given the chance. Kihyun falls back to slip his hand into his boyfriend’s in silent comfort. Hyunwoo glances over at him, a small smile flickering across his face, though the hurt in his eyes is still blatantly apparent.

“Shut up, Minhyuk-ah,” Kihyun suddenly snaps, growing entirely annoyed at Minhyuk’s oblivious ramblings. Minhyuk glances back at his same-age friend in defense. His eyes flick up to meet Hyunwoo’s expression, and seems to finally realize the effects his words are having. Minhyuk hums sheepishly and turns back around, turning his attention to Jooheon and Changkyun to change the subject.

“Honestly,” Kihyun mumbles so low only Hyunwoo can hear, “Minhyuk-ah doesn’t know what he’s saying half the time…”

“He means well,” Hyunwoo chuckles, though the sound is a bit heavier than usual, “unlike Boyeon…”

“Boyeon?” Kihyun asks, his brow creasing together in confusion. “What’s Boyeon got to do with this?”

“Boyeon was the one that called my appa yesterday,” Hyunwoo explains, lifting his gaze up from the cement to glance at Kihyun. “I didn’t tell you that?” The tips of Kihyun’s ears begin to burn, and his grip on Hyunwoo’s hand tightens. Hyunwoo chews on the inside of his cheek, having a feeling he shouldn’t have told Kihyun that…