Chapter Nine

Three More Months- Prequel to No Homo, But

“Mrs. Yoo,” the teenager begins, shifting in his seat. The woman takes a seat, a slight smile playing across her lips. “I’m guessing Kihyunnie’s filled you in on… everything.” She hums, nodding that her son had, indeed, filled her in. “First off, I’d like to officially ask if I may stay here until my apartment lease begins. It won’t be long, only a couple months.”

“Of course, Hyunwoo-ya,” she tells him without hesitation. “You don’t even have to ask.” She pauses, drumming her fingers against the wooden table at which they sit as she asks, “Would you like me to talk with your parents about this? I know it may not help, but I’m more than willing to try.”

“Thank you,” Hyunwoo says, “but I don’t think it’d be a good idea. My appa has always been very obvious about how he feels about… people like me, so I don’t think it’d do much good.”

“What’s your eomma got to say about all this?” she asks curiously. Her eyes widen in surprise at the boy’s shrug.

“She hasn’t contacted me,” Hyunwoo answers honestly. “For all I know, she could be out of town for business. Sometimes there’ll be last-minute trips her company sends her on, and she has to leave the same day she’s assigned it. If that’s the case, she’ll contact me when she gets home.” I hope, Hyunwoo adds silently, though he doesn’t want Kihyun’s mother to look at him with any more sympathy than she already is.

“The offer still stands,” the woman tells him. “You have always been close to my Kihyunnie, and I’ve considered you a bit like a son of my own, so if I can help you in this situation I’m delighted to.”

“Thank you,” Hyunwoo says genuinely, bowing his head forward as he speaks. She gives him a gentle smile, one that Hyunwoo finds easy to return. She makes as if to stand, clearly assuming that’s the end of it, but the boy remains seated. “There’s something else I’d like to ask you about.” She pauses, quirking up a curious brow as she sits back down.

“I love your son,” he says bluntly. He’s unsure of blunt is particularly the way to go in this kind of conversation, but he most certainly doesn’t want to be misunderstood. “He’s been more considerate, and more understanding than I could have ever hoped for. When he first asked me out a year ago, I didn’t think it’d work. I told him when he first asked me out that I couldn’t offer him much, that he deserved much more than sneaking around and hiding from everyone.

“But, he told me he didn’t care. He said he knew what he wanted, and he wanted to be with me. He said he was willing to wait as long as necessary for me, whether it be for me to say yes or to tell my parents about myself. Of course, I said yes before my parents found out, but you know that,” he adds almost sheepishly, a blush creeping across his cheeks as he thinks of that day. “I know we’re still young, and I don’t’ mean to ask him anytime soon, but I’d like to ask for your permission to marry your son, to join your family, when we’re both ready.”

Kihyun’s mother in a breath through her front teeth, clearly having not expected such a question. She stares unwaveringly at the teenager sitting across from her for an interminable amount of time, every tick of the clock feeling like an eternity to him.

Finally, she blinks, and a smile returns to her expression.

“Well,” she says, causing Hyunwoo’s heart to pound violently against his ribs, “if that’s the case, you better get used to calling me eomeonim.” Hyunwoo release a breath he hadn’t realized he’d been holding, it coming out in a slight chuckle.

“Thank you!” he says relievedly, bowing as low as he can in his chair. “I’ll make him happy, you won’t regret it. I swear.” She chuckles warmly, and reaches over to pat his shoulder.

“Don’t worry, dear,” she sighs. “I know I won’t. Now, go on upstairs. I’m sure Kihyunnie’s just dying to know what we’re talking about.” Hyunwoo laughs himself, picturing all too clearly how his boyfriend is probably pacing around in his room, tearing his hair out at not knowing what’s happening. Hyunwoo nods, only pausing to bow once more after he stands before leaving the kitchen.

She watches him go, a wistful, proud light painting her eyes.

 

“The hell are they talking about??” Minhyuk asks, his impatient tone only serving to worsen Kihyun’s own aggravation.

“I don’t know!” Kihyun bursts out. “It’s not as if I stayed behind to eavesdrop. I’m not you, Minhyuk-ah.” Minhyuk groans, obviously rolling his eyes at such a comment.

“You should be more like me sometimes,” he spits back, “then you’d know what’s going on downstairs.” Kihyun shakes his head as he sits down on his bed, pulling his legs up to sit cross-legged.

“Hyunwoo will tell me,” Kihyun tells him. “He’s physically and mentally incapable of keeping anything from me.” Minhyuk laughs again, humming in agreement. “Anyway, what’d you call about, Minhyuk-ah? Anything important?”

“I was just wondering if you’re willing to let me copy your math homework tomorrow morning,” Minhyuk sighs. “Hoseok invited me out, so I’m going to meet up with him at the park.”

“Fine, fine,” Kihyun relents easily. He hears a familiar set of heavy footsteps on the stairs, and he quickly adds, “I’ve gotta go. I’ll see you tomorrow.”

“Give me full details!” Minhyuk requests. Kihyun only hums in response, and quickly hangs up the call as Hyunwoo enters the room.

“What was that about?” Kihyun asks, not even allowing Hyunwoo enough time to fully close the door behind himself. Hyunwoo chuckles under his breath, and closes the distance between them. He presses a loving kiss against the younger’s lips, effectively taking his breath away. Hyunwoo’s kisses tend to have that effect on him…

“You’ll find out,” Hyunwoo tells him, still smiling as he pulls away. He then goes to one of his bags and grabs some pajamas before disappearing into the adjoining bathroom. Kihyun purses his lips, very much not liking that answer at all.