Chapter Seven

Three More Months- Prequel to No Homo, But

Kihyun can’t believe the older hadn’t told him sooner about Boyeon being responsible for the mess. If he’d have known sooner, he knows he’d have been able to control himself when seeing that scumbag. If he’d have been told the previous night, he wouldn’t be sitting out here in front of the principal’s office now. If he’d have had time to process the news, he wouldn’t have punched Boyeon square in the nose when he’d seen him at the gate to the school.

“Yoo Kihyun,” a voice suddenly calls, breaking through his mental ramblings. He glances up from the floor to meet the eyes of the office assistant, a stern-looking woman with her hair pulled back in a tight bun. He stands and, after taking a deep breath, goes into the office.

“Student-body secretary,” the principal muses aloud as he watches Kihyun take a seat, “top of your class, star student in the choir… I’m surprised to see you in my office right now, Mr. Yoo. Of all the students in the school, you definitely wouldn’t be one I’d pegged to start fights with your peers.” Kihyun grips his knees in an effort to keep himself from speaking. It isn’t this man’s business, after all.

The principal leans forward, folding his hands together as his eyes study every move Kihyun makes.

“I don’t want to suspend you, Kihyun-ssi,” he admits with a sigh. “But, in order to find a way around it, I need to know what this behavior is about. Are you involved in too much, and you’re acting out due to stress? Do you need to cut back on your extracurriculars?” Kihyun shakes his head, chewing on his bottom lip.

“It isn’t that,” Kihyun says at last. “The reason for my actions are personal. He… He did something that’s caused a major rift in the life of someone I care about, and when I saw him this morning I just couldn’t help myself. That’s not even to mention his harassment of me these past few months…” He adds the last part in a low mumble. He hadn’t meant to say it, but it just sort of slips out. The principal shifts in his seat, a look of confusion skipping over his face.

“Kihyun-ssi,” he says, choosing his words carefully, “has Boyeon been… making unwelcome advancements?” Kihyun falls silent once more, mentally chastising himself for bringing it up. He had never said anything before in fear of his uality becoming a topic of conversation among the staff at the school, which would then spread to the PTA, and then eventually Hyunwoo’s parents. “If he did, I need you to tell me. This school has a zero-tolerance policy for harassment and bullying, and if he—”

“Songsaengnim,” Kihyun interrupts, shaking his head. “I don’t want to make a big deal out of it. If it got out, it could only make this personal situation much worse.” The older man sighs then, sitting back in his chair with a frown. He obviously doesn’t like the boy’s response, but Kihyun hardens his gaze in a show that he refuses to back down.

“If you change your mind,” he tells Kihyun, “be sure to come find me.” He pauses, staring at Kihyun for only a moment longer before adding, “That’s all. You may go to class now.” Kihyun nods and quickly leaves the room, relieved beyond belief that the man didn’t press him for more information.

 

“I’m just sorry I missed it,” Hyungwon chuckles, his mouth full of food. “Boyeon’s had that punch coming to him for a long time.” He then pouts, his gaze falling to the table. “Of course this happens on the one morning this week I sleep in,” he mutters in discontent.

“It was quite something,” Minhyuk admits as he pops a grape tomato into his mouth. “I only wish I could’ve enjoyed the show more before Hyunwoo pulled him off the scumbag. I’ve heard from the nurse’s office his nose is broken, and one of his teeth was knocked clean out of his gums.” He turns to shoot his same-age friend a proud smirk, but Kihyun can’t bring himself to meet his gaze. He just counts himself lucky that he’d been able to get away with it.

“It was kind of scary…” Changkyun mumbles, making Kihyun feel even worse. “I’ve never seen Kihyun-hyung so mad before.” Jooheon coos at the youngest, and wraps a consoling arm around his shoulders.

“Kihyunnie,” Hyunwoo mutters, setting a hand on his knee. Kihyun glances up at him, and the guilt in his heart subsides ever so slightly. “I want to talk with you for a minute. Would you follow me?” Kihyun nods, not even needing to think about it, and gets up with the older to follow him away from the others for some much needed privacy.

They go out into the school courtyard, and take a seat under a tree. The yellowing grass crinkles beneath them, and red and yellow leaves drift around them in the autumn breeze. Kihyun pulls at the grass, ignoring his own bruised knuckles.

He absolutely hates losing control of himself like that… especially in front of Hyunwoo. His short temper isn’t something he’s very proud of, after all. He works hard to keep it under control, but sometimes it ends up getting the better of him… especially when someone he cares about is being attacked.

“Does your hand hurt?” Hyunwoo asks gently. He reaches over to take hold of Kihyun’s wrist, and pulls his hand close to examine it. His warm fingers brush against the younger’s cool skin, rubbing consoling circles into his wrist.

“No, hyung,” Kihyun says sheepishly. He grabs Hyunwoo’s hand to stop its movements, drawing Hyunwoo’s eyes back up to his. “I’m sorry for losing my temper like I did. I don’t like that side of me, or you seeing that side of me. Thank you for pulling me back when you did. I’m sorry for all the trouble I’ve caused you, yeobo.”

“Trouble?” Hyunwoo asks, frowning confusedly. “If you’ve caused anyone trouble, it was Boyeon…”

“Boyeon only called your appa in the first place because he was jealous that I didn’t go on a date with him,” Kihyun sighs, leaning back against the tree. “And now, this morning… I don’t remember much about it, I was kind of not there mentally, but I do remember I kind of fought you, as well, when you tried to separate me from him.” Hyunwoo leans against the tree, as well. He hums as he wraps a consoling arm around Kihyun’s waist and pulls him a little closer.

“You can’t blame yourself for the awful actions of someone else, Kihyunnie,” he tells his boyfriend. “Besides, I’d prefer this over you going on a date with that jerk any day. There were many things I’d accept to hide our relationship, but not that.” He turns his head slightly and presses a kiss against the shorter’s temple. Kihyun sighs once more, closing his eyes to revel in the touch.

It’s moments like these when he realizes he doesn’t deserve Hyunwoo. The older is so kind and caring… He doesn’t think he’ll ever do enough to deserve him, but that’s okay. He has the rest of his life to become the man Hyunwoo deserves, after all.