Chapter Two

Three More Months- Prequel to No Homo, But

“So, Kihyun-ssi,” Boyeon says, leaning against Kihyun’s locker with a slimy grin. Kihyun’s eyebrow quirks up a little in a prompting manner, eager already for the end of this conversation. Choir practice had lasted longer than it was supposed to—again—and it’s made him late for a meet-up with Hyunwoo.  The older is probably at his house right now, being treated to his eomma’s special ‘I’m already planning on where to rent your tux for your marriage to my son’ tea.

Not that it’s ever been confirmed that they’re dating as far as she’s concerned, but she’s always had a certain intuition for these things. She could tell Hoseok and Minhyuk would get involved almost a year before the two even realized they were gay. But, Kihyun isn’t too worried about it. It isn’t as if she’d say anything to Hyunwoo’s parents about it.

“A couple friends of mine are having a party this Saturday…” the upperclassman goes on, crossing his arms over his chest. Cockiness just ebbs off him in waves, and it sets Kihyun’s teeth on edge. He shakes his head, already able to tell where this is going.

“Sorry, sunbae,” Kihyun tells him, straightening up with a tired sigh, “I’m busy.” He then turns on his heel, fully intending to leave the room. Boyeon, however, clearly has other plans. He moves to stand in front of the younger, and sets an outstretched arm against the wall behind his dongsaeng, effectively trapping him against the wall.

“Then,” Boyeon says, lowering his voice, “why don’t you come over to my place tonight? We can… run over our parts for our next performance, or something.” Kihyun presses his lips together, straightening up his own posture defiantly.

“I have plans tonight,” is all he says. “Now, if you’ll excuse me, I need to go.” He does his best to keep his voice even, despite his growing aggravation. This guy has been on his case for over a month now, trying to get him to go to parties and impromptu café dates. No matter how many times Kihyun tells him he isn’t interested or that he has plans, Boyeon just keeps at it.

“You know, Kihyunnie,” Boyeon sighs out, setting his teeth on edge, “I’m getting tired of this hard-to-get act.” He loves it when Hyunwoo calls his name in such a cute tone, but when Boyeon does it, it sounds erted and twisted.

“It isn’t an act, sunbae,” Kihyun tells him. “I’ve told you before that I’m with someone, and we’re very happy. So just stop all this already.” His temper is beginning to get the better of him, he knows, but he’s just had about enough of this. All he wants is to leave this room and get home to his boyfriend.

“Yeah, well I haven’t seen this mysterious someone of yours all year,” Boyeon murmurs, leaning in so close his breath tickles Kihyun’s nose. “So, either you’re making up this guy, or he goes to a different school.” He then sighs, shaking his head as he adds, “Besides, Kihyunnie, I told you to start calling me ‘hyung’.”

“I reserve that title for people I actually like,” Kihyun tells him coldly, unable to keep from rolling his eyes. He scowls, shaking his head at the upperclassman. “It doesn’t matter if you’ve seen them or not, it doesn’t change the fact that I’m not available.” He glances towards the door, hoping to find some neutral space to glare at to help keep him calm, but then spots a most welcome sight indeed.

“Hyung!” Kihyun calls, face breaking out into a brilliant smile. He squirms out of his predicament as quickly as possible, his bag halfway off his shoulder by the time he manages to reach Hyunwoo. He grips tightly onto the strap of his bag to keep himself from reaching out to take hold of the older’s hand. Hyunwoo’s eyes, though, aren’t on the younger. They’re glued to a place just passed Kihyun’s shoulder. Kihyun glances back, pursing his lips upon realizing Hyunwoo is low-key glaring at Boyeon.

“I figured your practice ran late,” Hyunwoo mutters, his voice thick and his gaze unreadable, “so I came to walk you back…” Kihyun has to fight back a sigh, knowing his boyfriend had totally misread that situation.

“Come on,” Kihyun mumbles, brushing past Hyunwoo as he readjusts his hold on his bag. Hyunwoo ‘hmmph’s under his breath, and Kihyun can’t help but note the way Hyunwoo stays a few steps behind him.

 

“It wasn’t what it looked like, you know,” Kihyun says, wincing at his own words. They’re almost halfway back to his house, and neither have said a word the whole way. He’d been trying to think of the best way to approach this subject, what Hyunwoo had walked in on… He knows from the older’s view it looked incredibly questionable, but if he could only just explain it…

“So that guy wasn’t flirting with you?”

“He was,” Kihyun concedes, stuffing his hands into his pockets, “but I was trying to get away. I was on my way out when he trapped me, and—”

“Kihyun-ah,” Hyunwoo interrupts, his voice a bit lower than usual, “you don’t have to explain yourself. It’s not that I thought you were cheating on me or anything, I just don’t like the idea of another guy hitting on you.” Kihyun sighs deeply. He’s always appreciated how Hyunwoo just says what he wants whenever asked, but his bluntness now only makes him bristle. He’s still on edge after having to deal with Boyeon, after all, and now Hyunwoo’s mood, which he knows is merited to an extent, is only making it worse.

He then remembers Boyeon’s comment about not ever seeing Hyunwoo. He was right, of course. Because of the clandestine nature of their relationship, they haven’t even risked being terribly affectionate at school before. The only ones that really know about their relationship are their friends. So, of course, Boyeon hasn’t seen any evidence of Kihyun being in a relationship…

“Maybe if we didn’t hide, this kind of thing wouldn’t happen.”

It takes a moment for Kihyun to realize he’s even spoken. He’d meant to only think such a thing, but he realizes he’d done much more than that when Hyunwoo stops walking. He whirls about to face his boyfriend, his mouth slightly agape at his own slip-up.

“Hyung, I’m sorry,” he says immediately, closing the distance between them and taking his hand in his own. “I didn’t mean it, you know that. I’m just agitated after having to dodge Boyeon-sunbae again. You know I don’t mind waiting to tell people until you move out.” Hyunwoo doesn’t meet Kihyun’s eyes, which only makes the younger feel worse. The sound of approaching footsteps rounds a nearby corner, and Hyunwoo immediately pulls his hand out of Kihyun’s grasp.

Even though it’s something that’s happened before, Kihyun can’t help but take it personally in their current situation.

“I’ve gotta go,” Hyunwoo mumbles. He doesn’t even wait for the younger to respond before pulling his bag higher onto his shoulder and moving on down the sidewalk.

Kihyun’s gaze falls to the pavement, mentally cursing himself for being so thoughtless.