Chapter Four

Three More Months- Prequel to No Homo, But

Hyunwoo awakens the next morning with dread in his heart. He doesn’t know exactly why this ominous feeling has filled him from the get-go… but it’s absolutely refusing to be ignored. It fills his limbs with molasses, making his movements much more sluggish than usual as he slumps around his room to begin getting ready for the day.

 

He trudges down the stairs as quietly as possible, his ominous mood not exactly helping his mindset when mentally preparing to deal with his father. It’s something he always has to do, or else he knows he’ll slip up and say the wrong thing. Even though he and Kihyun have been going out for little under a year now, it isn’t any easier to lie to his parents about the relationship.

Oddly enough, his father isn’t at his usual place at the dining table. Hyunwoo doesn’t question it, though. He merely counts his lucky stars that he doesn’t have to field a pre-school interrogation before leaving, and exits the house as fast as he can.

 

After a typical bus ride with Hoseok and Hyungwon, full of selfies and sarcastic jokes, the boys arrive at their all-too familiar school. Hyunwoo is glad to nearly be done with this, if for nothing more than to not have to walk these halls anymore. His whole life feels like a rut, has for months now. The only thing that’s been able to pull him out of such awful feelings lately has been—

“Hyung!”

A gentle smile breaks out over the oldest’s face as Kihyun runs up to meet them at the gate. Hoseok coos at his dongsaeng’s behavior, and stays back to tease. However, Hyungwon, who can easily see the couple wants some time alone, pulls Hoseok along with the reasoning of going to find Minhyuk. Hoseok willingly goes along with this, overly delighted to go and find his beloved boyfriend. Kihyun chuckles at the two before pulling Hyunwoo past the gate, back out onto the sidewalk.

“Good morning, aga,” he tells him softly, leaning up on tiptoes to place a chaste kiss against his hyung’s cheek. A deep red blooms across Hyunwoo’s face, and a goofy smile comes to him despite himself.

“You’re in a good mood this morning,” he observes, reaching up to nervously rub the back of his neck. Kihyun shrugs, a playful smirk dancing across his lips.

“I just realized something when I woke up…” Kihyun says vaguely. Hyunwoo raises a prompting brow, not quite sure what the younger is alluding to but still feeling as if he should know. Kihyun in a breath through his front teeth, and clicks his tongue at his boyfriend. “Honestly, hyung,” he teases, “you’d forget your own head if it weren’t already on your shoulders. It’s about this weekend…” Hyunwoo takes only a second more to realize what the younger is talking about.

“Sorry, Kihyunnie,” he chuckles, instinctively moving to grab onto the younger’s hand in silent apology. “My head hasn’t really been with me this morning…” Kihyun’s smile turns to a concerned frowned as he steps even closer and studies the older’s eyes.

“What happened?” he asks instantly. Hyunwoo hums as he shakes his head, squeezing his love’s hand reassuringly.

“Nothing,” he replies. He then sighs, smiling a little as he adds, “So, what are we going to do for our anniversary tonight?” Kihyun hums, a brilliant smile brightening up his expression once more.

“I was thinking…” Kihyun muses aloud, his eyes flicking up to the clouds. “My Eomma is working the graveyard shift this Friday night, so maybe, if you can get away, I could cook us dinner and we could watch that crappy-looking action movie you’ve been bugging me about, and you could sleep over…” He winks at Hyunwoo then, the implications of what’ll happen when he sleeps over apparent between them both. Hyunwoo shifts on his feet, very much liking the younger’s idea. It’s simple, but also absolutely perfect.

“Sounds great to me,” Hyunwoo assures him. Kihyun’s smile grows impossibly wide, showing off the dimples Hyunwoo loves and adores, and it’s all he has in him to keep from kissing him right then and there.

“Great,” Kihyun comments. He squeezes Hyunwoo’s hand, but then quickly drops it as the last wave of kids come approach the school. Boyeon is among them, and he, of course, sights Kihyun immediately. He winks at the younger and blows him a flirtatious little kiss. Hyunwoo bristles at this, but luckily Boyeon doesn’t seem to notice. They both wait until the crowd has passed before stepping closer to each other once more.

“See you at lunch?” Hyunwoo asks, his voice a bit lower than usual. Kihyun nods, reaching up to squeeze his shoulder comfortingly. He’s just about to turn and leave the older to it, but Hyunwoo does something completely unexpected. He grabs onto the younger’s wrist, and pulls him close for a kiss just long enough to steal his breath away. As Hyunwoo pulls back, Kihyun can’t help but raise an eyebrow at the uncharacteristic display.

“See you at lunch,” Kihyun verbally affirms. He grasps Hyunwoo’s hand tightly for only a second longer, and then forced himself to walk away. Though, he can admittedly still feel the older’s eyes on him. A feeling that, granted, isn’t at all unwelcome.

 

Unbeknownst to them, a young man just around the corner is currently on the phone.

“Hello,” he says as the woman on the other end finally picks up, “my name is Lee Boyeon. I’d like to speak with Mr. Son.”

“May I ask what this is concerning?” she asks cordially, and Boyeon can’t help but chuckle.

“It’s about his son.”