Chapter Eleven

Three More Months- Prequel to No Homo, But

“Eomma?” Hyunwoo asks, nearly dropping his apron on the sidewalk. His mother stands from the small café table then, and rushes over to give him a bone-crushing hug. He doesn’t even hesitate before he wraps his own arms around her thin frame. He picks her up and spins her round, relieved beyond belief to see her.

“My precious little teddy bear!” his mother cries upon being set down, still hugging him. “Your appa just told me what happened when I got back… I’m so sorry I wasn’t there. I’m so, so sorry…” Her voice begins to crack, and Hyunwoo pulls back finally to wipe away her tears.

“No, Eomma no,” he mumbles, his heart breaking at the sight. He leads her over gently to the table she had been waiting for him at, and sits down beside her. “You didn’t know, how would you have? I don’t blame you, Eomma, really.”

“I should’ve been there, Hyunwoo,” she insists. “I should’ve been there for you.” She pauses, and takes a deep breath as if to steady herself. He pats her hand comfortingly as she seemingly steadies herself. “I’ve moved out of the house,” she tells him, earning a gasp of surprise. “I’m staying with your halmeoni for now, and I want you to come with me.”

“I can’t,” Hyunwoo tells her a bit too quickly. She raises a questioning brow, and Hyunwoo struggles to for a moment to find a reason for staying behind aside from Kihyun. “I’m close to graduating, Eomma. It’s more practical for me to just stay here. I also have that apartment I’m moving into soon. It just doesn’t make sense for me to move off into the country.”

“Then where will you stay?” she asks, sounding a bit suspicious.

“… I have a place,” is all he tells her. She hums in an almost knowing tone, and she grins ever so slightly.

“With this… boyfriend… of yours?” she prods. Her voice grows a bit tense at the term, but she powers through it all the same. Hyunwoo understands her struggle. It’d have been an adjustment when he’d figured out he was gay. He can only imagine what it’s like for his mother. But, at least she’s making the effort, for which Hyunwoo couldn’t be more thankful.

“You’ve met him before,” Hyunwoo adds, unsure of how much of the situation his father had actually told her. “It’s Kihyun, Yoo Kihyun.”

“I’ve always liked that boy,” the woman muses aloud. “He knows his own mind, which is rare for someone his age. He’s a bit outspoken, but…” She chuckles, clearly remembering how the younger had gotten into an argument one night over dinner with her husband. “Well, it isn’t always a bad thing to be outspoken when the situation warrants it.” Hyunwoo laughs as well, nodding at her spot-on description.

“He’s been amazing through all this,” Hyunwoo finds himself saying. “He and his eomma took me in without hesitation.” His mother’s smile only grows at hearing this.

“I’m glad to hear there are such kind people in your life,” she says, “but I’ll still speak with his eomma about all this. I’d like to thank her for her compassion, and to see how I can pay her back for whatever she’s spent to take care of you.” Hyunwoo hums in acknowledgment. He notices out of the corner of his eye how his boss knocks on the front window and gestures for him to come inside. Hyunwoo glances down at his watch, and immediately stands at noticing how he’s technically late for his shift now.

“I’ve got to go,” he tells his mother, leaning down to kiss her temple. “I’ll call you later tonight.” She reaches out to squeeze his arm affectionately, her eyes shining with pride.

“Even though I wish things didn’t happen this way,” she tells him softly, “I’m so happy for you. You seem so much more at ease now than before. As your eomma, I couldn’t be happier.” Hyunwoo nods, smiling so wide his eyes become mere crescents. He then leaves her for work, eager to get this shift over with so he can get home to Kihyun…

He chuckles to himself at the thought, unable to come up with anything that could ever sound better than that.

 

Kihyun couldn’t be happier for his boyfriend when the older gets back from work. Hyunwoo’s just finished telling the younger about what transpired between him and his mother, and he’s on cloud nine.

“Let’s go out tonight,” Hyunwoo suggests suddenly, pulling Kihyun into his lap. “I want to celebrate.” Kihyun chuckles under his breath, readjusting so his new perch is as comfortable as possible.

“I’d love to,” Kihyun tells him, “but you’re working so hard right now to save money. Why don’t we save it ‘till later, after you’ve moved into your new place? That way we can have even more to… celebrate.” He smirks and quirks up his left eyebrow as he finishes the thought, hoping Hyunwoo gets his implication. Judging from the slight groan emitting from his throat, he most certainly does.

“You’re such a tease, Kihyunnie,” Hyunwoo sighs, tightening his hold on the younger. Kihyun merely yelps out a high-pitched laugh, his dimples showing fully on his cheeks. The shorter then leans up to press a gentle kiss to his jaw, wrapping his arms round his boyfriend’s middle for a hug.

A sad thought suddenly crosses his mind, and he grips even tighter around his hyung. He’s quickly gotten used to living with Hyunwoo despite the short amount of time that’s passed, and he can’t even bring himself to consider how he’ll be moving out sooner rather than later.

Just cherish the time we have now, he tells himself. Just enjoy now, and worry about all that later…