o2. umbrella | 3/4 of jf. ↠ c.c.

You and Me (One-shot Collection)

Description

The rainy days are coming but Junhoe's here with an umbrella to shield Chaeyoung from the rain.

-🌷-

3/4 of the just friends series

-🌷-

A sigh came from me when I heard the pitter-patter of rain against the school's roof. The weather forecast predicted this in the news yet I still forgot to bring an umbrella. Mom's voice reminding me to bring one rang bitterly in my ears. I was too focused chatting on my phone at the dinner table for me to hear mom. Another sigh came out of my lips without telling. I should've listened.

Leaning my chin on my propped palm, I looked outside to watch the earth rage with tears from the sky. The bright sunny days were now over. With the rain, it colored the skies with gloomy shades of gray. For some reason, it struck me a weird sense of nostalgia.

Personally, I think the clouds up there collect people's sadness until it bursts into little drops of rain, so that the heavens could share some of their pain too. As I look at the needle-like droplets knocking on the windows, I wonder if the clouds managed to collect mine too.

I felt a tap on my shoulder, taking my sight off the windows.

"You didn't eat much. Everything okay?" Jennie asked in a worried tone.

She was the type of person who could see through a person's lies with one look. So, even though it's easier to say, 'I'm fine,' I didn't attempt to. She knew I was everything but okay. Instead, I smiled, one that didn't show my teeth but enough to send a message.

"Chaeng..." She squeezed my hand gently. "It's Junhoe, isn't it?"

I glanced around the table, half-expecting someone to hear his name. Our friends were busy fooling around after eating lunch so I guess they didn't. When I looked over at Junhoe's, our eyes met. Guilt played with my feelings right then and there when he looked away first.

A week ago, he would've sent me a wink or would've called me 'baby girl'. With our present circumstance, he was avoiding me as much as I was avoiding him.

Pursing my lips, I replied, "It's not that..."

"Don't start with me. I know something's off between you two."

I wanted to groan. Did that mean it was that noticeable?

For the past week, I was ignoring Junhoe. We didn't fight, nor did have any misunderstandings. It was because of me. I didn't know what to do after realizing that I like Junhoe. Stupid me thought it'd be best to ignore him for a while, since flight was a better option than fighting it out.

Before I can answer Jennie, Jisoo asked something, loud enough to overlap the voices of our friends. "Hey, you're all going to my house, right?"

Well, she said it like she was daring us to decline. Thankfully, no one bothered saying no. Who would want to? Their house is like a mansion. Actually, it is a mansion and everytime we're there, we feel like we're in some chaebol drama or something.

There was a chorus of positive responses. "Don't forget to bring an umbrella, okay? Forecast said something about raining hard."

After a discussion about the hangout after class, we parted ways, going together in groups with the same year level. Before I could go ahead with Lisa and Donghyuk walking ahead, I felt a hand on my arm, pulling me back from taking any step. It all happened so fast that I felt dizzy for a bit, before my sight focused on a tall figure in front of me, looking every bit annoyed.

"Chaeyoung. We need to talk."

"We don't have anything to talk about—"

"You're avoiding me," Junhoe stated, making me gulp. His voice turns huskier when he gets serious and I don't know how to deal with that. A serious Junhoe was a sight too dangerous for my heart.

Still, I kept my strong facade and tried my best to shrug off his hold. "I'm not avoiding you."

Even my inner conscience seemed to scoff at that.

His features softened. "Did I do something wrong?"

I just stared at him. It was a sight to see, him like that. Or maybe I was finding reasons to debunk what I felt. I was afraid that even in his emotions, he was also lying, just like I was telling myself for the past week.

'He's just a friend. Of course he cares for you. Don't think of it as something more. You'll only get hurt getting your hopes up.'

I opened my mouth to atleast attempt to say something, but I guess it also mirrored what my mind was in right now: nothing. Before I could say something stupid, the school bell rang. I always hated hearing it because it was annoying but now, I've never been more thankful on its arrival.

The bell also signaled for the hallway to get crowded. Suddenly, there were bodies pushing the both of us. Seeing it as a chance, I took my wrist from him."I gotta go."

I felt my heart drop with that but I was too focused on my goal of getting away from him. Avoiding him couldn't be done forever, I know. I just hope it's not now because I'm not ready to face him yet, not when I'm still not comfortable with the fact that I do like him as a man and not just a friend.

-🌷-

The weather worsened the moment classes ended. Suddenly, hanging out at Jisoo unnie's becoming a bad idea.

Lisa was nowhere to be found. When I called for her back at the classroom, she mustn't hear since she continued filing out of the doors, then merging with the others at the hallways. With a resigned breath, I decided to head outside alone. There was no use finding her in that crowd.

Bringing out my handphone, I sent a message to our groupchat when I took cover under the shelter near the gates.

Chaeyoung: Where are you guys? I'm at the school shelter

Bobby: Already left... thought you came with dong & others?

Donghyuk: with ChanBinLis. already left too

Jisoo: Why didnt u wait for the others and leave at once? Some kids dont have umbrellas with them. Raining hard atm

Bobby: @Jinhwan can u pick up Chaeyoung? Still at school right?

Jinhwan: -_- i told you im with yoyo & jen cause we have to buy all you animals food

Bobby: Then can somebody pick up chaeyoung? She doesnt have an umbrella

Lisa: Junhoe said that he needed to pass something at the faculty so he didnt come wid us

I took a sharp intake of breath when I read Lisa's message. It looked so innocent that it was hard to tell if she was telling the truth or she was planning this all along.

Bobby: @Junhoe still at school?

Junhoe: yeah

Jisoo: Come with chaeng pls?

Junhoe: do I have a choice?

Jinhwan: quit acting like you don't like that idea either

No reply came from Junhoe. Do I have bad signal? I continued staring at my phone, wondering why Junhoe wasn't replying anymore when a shadow loomed over me. My heart jumped. It was the same person I was just thinking about.

"Let's go," Junhoe said, adjusting his grip on the black umbrella above us.

I blinked once, then twice. All I could ever think about was, Oh my gosh, I'm going to be alone with him. To be honest, with the way how I was treating him these past week, I don't think I could handle something like that.

"Yeah," I replied and cautiously moved close under his umbrella. My hand brushed his as I did so. We had a lot of instances like this in the past, but it was a different scene for me now. All my senses heightened because it's him, making me feel things that weren't felt before, just like how the little gesture caused my heartbeat to increase without warning.

We walked side by side, bracing the harsh impact the heavy rain brought upon us. My other uncovered arm was getting wet even with the umbrella. Either that or the distance between us could fit another person in it. Junhoe sent me an annoyed look and brought an arm around my shoulder, hauling me close to him. I bit my lower lip to prevent a squeal from escaping. I hope he didn't hear my noisy heart.

The lovestruck Chaeyoung in me couldn't help but wander her naughty eyes at him. With our close proximity, I noticed how his jaws looked sharp when viewed from one side, or how his bangs were messily strewn on his forehead, some sweat drenching the tips. My eyes led down, down to his protruding adam's apple. I couldn't help it. His neck was shining with sweat. Something that didn't look gross but made him look ier.

Oh my gosh. I used that word. I should stop describing him as something like that. If I was the same Chaeyoung back then, I would've beaten myself until I came to my senses a long time ago.

Junhoe turned his head to look at me and it took me a moment before I realized that he was talking. Was he talking to me?

"...Chaeyoung...?"

"H – Huh?"

"I said, do you know the exact way to noona's? I can't remember."

"Uhm..." I shook my head and told myself to get a hold of it. "There." I pointed at the street on his side. "We have to take a right there."

Junhoe led the way, his grip tightening around my shoulder when the rain got worse. The umbrella wasn't serving its purpose as the rain became too much. To make matters worse, a passing car sprayed water on my clothes and since I was at the nearest side of the street, I accidentally became Junhoe's shield. I gasped. The laughter courtesy of the man beside me was expected, which irked me more.

"Stop laughing. This isn't funny," I grumbled as I swiped my uniform's sleeves to wipe some water off my eyes. The man driving that car is such a jerk.

"You're a mess," Junhoe replied, mirth twinkling his eyes.

Annoyed, I wiped my wet hair, wet face and wet arms on his still-dry uniform jacket, which made him groan. I felt a small feat of victory when I saw him like that. Take that, Goo Junhoe.

"Chaeyoung!"

"It's your fault!"

His brows met in great annoyance as he sent me a look. "Well, now we're both wet. Happy now?"

I childishly stuck my tongue out at him and it was then I felt my lips trembling, an effect of the sudden drop of my body temperature.

He rolled his eyes at me. "Real mature, Chaeyoung."

Feeling the coldness clinging on my skin, I subconsciously went close to his body heat and prevented myself from teetering so much. "I would like to fight with you m – more, but i – it's getting cold. Let's go."

Concern passed through Junhoe's features and I don't know, that made me feel warm for a bit. The next second, the hand on my shoulder went down to interlace with mine and I hate hate hate how much it was natural for him to do that. He just had to make it worse by giving me this... smile, his one-of-a-kind smile that always made me feel weak. "Let's run before you get sick."

I could feel the butterflies, the flipping notions my heart was making, even the electricity spreading on my entire body. I was hurled out of my equilibrium as his long strides forced my legs to catch up. With every step from the two of us, the accumulated rain on the sidewalk splashed, further making my skirt and his trousers wet. All this time I could only look at his firm back, at our intertwined hands, and how it all made me breathless. And I realized, that's just how he is to me, a man capable of making me breathless.

-🌷-

When the front door of Jisoo's house opened, we were met with a stern-looking Jinhwan oppa. "Why the hell are you guys late—" His supposed-to-be endless rant stopped short when he saw us, drenched from head to toe. "Jisoo! We need some towels!"

It became a flurry of activity then. The girls took care of me, taking me away from Junhoe's warm hand, as they led me to Jisoo's room. Junhoe on the other hand was thrown a towel, Jisoo commanding Bobby oppa to fetch her brother's change of clothes.

Jisoo made me shower and with the concerned look on her face, it was hard to refuse. She gave me a fresh set of dry clothes, except for underwear, and even went as far as to offer to put my wet uniform in the washer. After my short shower, I noticed that the girls who dragged me here were already gone. Must've appeared back to the living room, I guess. I thought they were waiting for me...

Hangouts at Jisoo's room was too frequent I thought it was also ours. She recently put some picture frames on top of her mahogany dresser. Mostly it was her family and also us, her friends. I picked one up, a photo of everyone three years younger.

It reminded me how long we already knew each other. I couldn't even remember the reason that, despite with us on different year levels, we were gathered together like this.

It was why I was afraid of me admitting that I like Junhoe. Despite him irking/flirting/annoying the heck out of me, we're friends. My feelings will completely overthrow that concept because I sure know, admitting it is just the easy part. The next? I'd confuse everything as a possibility of him feeling the same when it can only mean I was just a friend. It's a lot complicated as I'd like to think.

Ah. Thinking about it makes me tired...

The door opened and I thought it was Jisoo. Surprisingly, it was Junhoe, appearing cute in his bunny-printed pajamas. "Noona, where's my—" He paused when he saw me. "Oh."

I looked away, trying to restrain myself from laughing at his clothes. Here's the thing: Junhoe hates anything cute. Of course he has a reputation to keep, that being said that he had to act like a cool guy (but we both know he was anything but that).

"Are you looking for Jisoo unnie? She's not here," I responded, trying my best to distract myself from his pajamas.

"I can see that."

I thought he was going to leave, but he entered the room and went towards me. What was he doing? Junhoe answered my unspoken question when he took both ends of the towel draped on my shoulders and helped me dry my hair.

"...Junhoe?"

He stopped rubbing my hair with the towel to say, "Lemme do this."

Here goes the butterflies again... I told my heart to calm down but I guess it didn't have the capability to do that when his fresh just-out-of-the-shower smell was so much. In order to keep my mind off these things, I tried to open a topic at the top of my head, and it chose to comment about his pajamas.

"Why does Jisoo's older brother has cute pajamas like that?"

"I don't even know and I don't wanna ask. But I'm starting to like it."

"I thought you hate anything cute?"

"If I do, does that mean I hate you too?"

That caught me off-guard. Caught me real good, I say. Okay, calm down, dear heart. He can see you!

"Hey... are you blushing?" he commented, briefly stopping from drying my hair to pinch both of my cheeks.

Goodness. I pushed him away although I can see why it was a bad thing since it made him laugh, that same shrill laugh I could only associate him with. And somehow, that was enough to remind me how much I missed him.

When the laughter died down, Junhoe kept silent for a while, as if psyching himself for the next words he was gonna say. Somehow, given the way he treated me this morning, I knew where this was going.

"Chaeyoung... what happened with us?"

I didn't answer him. What was I supposed to say?

"Honestly, what did I do? Did I offend you so much that you want to get away from me—"

I pursed my lips. "It's nothing."

"What?"

"It's nothing," I repeated, hoping that he didn't hear me the first time.

His gaze seemed to pierce right through me. "Liar."

"I just don't want you to annoy me and stuff..." I mumbled. It was a response without thinking much, hoping that he'd leave me alone. But he didn't, and I don't know what to do with that.

"Then if I stop annoying you, will you stop avoiding me too?"

It was uttered in absolute gentleness, something that can soften my heart into a mushy pile of a mess. He wanted us to be okay, even if he didn't know why we weren't okay in the first place. So I swallowed my pride. I couldn't stand us grow distant day by day, knowing it was because of my stupid feelings and me scared of rejection. At the end of the day, he's still my friend. He doesn't deserve being treated like this.

"I'm sorry, Junhoe... I know it's stupid but I'm sorry. I never meant to desert you like that..."

I didn't hear anything from him. Of all the things I said, I didn't get a response. He expressed it in a way he couldn't express in words, and he chose to do it by hauling me in his arms. As if my body yearned for him, I relaxed under his hold, inhaling his scent of fresh soap and letting it calm my beating heart.

"Don't do it again. Hell, don't ignore me without any reason and make me suffer like this."

I held on him tighter. He always made me feel special whenever he'd do something like this. I hate it. It'll only make me wish and hope that he also like me back but I know he wouldn't. I'm just a friend. Nothing more, nothing less.

Goo Junhoe... What am I to you?

"Chaeng, Jisoo says go out now—" Lisa stopped short when she took in the scene before her. Immediately, as if burned, I pushed Junhoe away, a little harder than I'd like to, when he stumbled on his . I was thankful that Jisoo's room was carpeted.

"Ow!"

"Wait. It's not what you think it is—"

"Sorry!" Lisa exclaimed, closing the door before I could even explain.

Powerless, I stared at Junhoe for help, which, perfectly understanding what I felt right now, laughed at me. He stood up by himself.

"Better hope she doesn't have any wild thoughts about us." There it goes again, his annoying smirk. Urgh. "On second thought, let her imagination run wild. It isn't far off the truth anyway. Right, baby girl?"

His words, along with the things he was making me think of, was enough to make me red. Flustered, I beelined for the door.

"Stupid Junhoe!" Which, only earned a chuckle from the man himself. Jerk.

-🌷-

I have a lot of reasons why I love my friends so much. Even though we have different ages and personalities, we treat each other like family, a big family with a bond as strong as steel.

Yunhyeong oppa and Jennie were busy in the kitchen preparing for lunch, while Jinhwan oppa and Donghyuk were assisting them. Bobby oppa and Jisoo were opening up all sorts of snacks that was enough to last us a lifetime (then again, the boys have another mouth to feed in their stomachs so it's safe to say it's only enough for a day). Meanwhile, Hanbin oppa, Lisa, and Chanwoo were playing 'Just Dance' from the XBOX at the spacious living room.

It was an image enough to make me smile. If we ever live in one house together, we'd live like this harmoniously. I'd want that.

"Finally, the lovebirds arrived!" Jisoo exclaimed, holding a huge bowl of popcorn, passing behind us to place it on the coffee table the others set aside so that they could play XBOX.

Hanbin, Lisa, and Chanwoo stopped dancing at the arrival of food. They were cheering as they munched on the popcorn, sneakily avoiding Jisoo's hand slaps to prevent them from doing so.

Junhoe and I sat on the sofa in front of the tv. Now that we were okay, Junhoe casually slid an arm on top of the headrest behind me. He sent me a little smile and a wink when he did so. Here he goes again, aggravating me whenever he could. I think it was better when we were on a silent feud.

"Cut them some slack. Something good must've happened between them," Bobby interjected, wriggling his brows at us. He placed a bag full of sweets beside the popcorn bowl. Chanwoo reached out to get one but was met with a stern glare from Jisoo. He chuckled nervously as he placed it back.

Bobby didn't know anything but his words made me remember hugging Junhoe earlier. It was enough to heat my cheeks. I hate myself even more. Why do I easily do this??

"Boy, you sure are cute when you blush," Junhoe whispered close to my ear, sending shivers through my spine. Annoyed, I pushed him away from me since he was too close for comfort.

Suddenly, Lisa was laughing, the kind that sounded like how villains would do on cartoons. "You know what, funny you should say that because I caught them two at unnie's room doing—urghmfhf!" I sprinted out of the sofa just to cover Lisa's mouth.

"Lisa's lying!" I defensively say.

What I did only caught their full attention to me. Omo. Bad move.

Hanbin had one brow raised. "Doing what?"

Lisa bit my hand. Argh! Meanie Lisa! That hurt!

"I caught them hugging!"

There was a chorus of cheers but Jisoo was the only one looking at me bewildered. "Hey, you didn't mess up my sheets did you?"

"Attaboy!" Bobby greeted, slapping Junhoe's back, a little harder than intended to be since he looked miffed.

Ahh! They were getting the wrong meaning!

"It's not that—" I tried to explain but Chanwoo cut me off by shaking my hand so vigorously it hurt. "Congratulations, noona!"

This brat... "Hey!"

Hanbin looked quite clueless. "June got laid?"

AGHH! I fell down on the floor, defeated, suddenly losing the strength to hold myself physically and mentally. These guys...

"It's not true!"

Chanwoo gave us meaningful looks. "So this is why they went missing for a while. Something fun must've been happening."

I looked at Junhoe for support but the jerk was amused at everything our friends were saying. Giving him a glare to remind him that we were on the same side, I said, "Junhoe, please deny it!"

But he shot me a smirk and I knew then that 'help' wasn't anywhere near his agenda. "Why? I can't deny something that's true, right?"

The pent-up frustration I had in my chest completely took over me. My sight going red, I stood up and held out my arms, lunging foward. The others stopped teasing us, holding me back from strangling Junhoe.

"YAH!!!"

-🌷-

The little incident at the living room was the main topic at the dinner table as we ate what the older ones cooked. I think I had a dark cloud over my head from the beginning since they started teasing the two of us. And Junhoe? He was liking every single moment of it. Figures. He liked to be put in the spotlight so much.

After the late lunch, all of us gathered in the living room, forming a circle on the floor because Jennie thought it was a good idea to play truth or dare. For the record, it isn't. If you have friends like mine, it's bound to get frisky.

It started out innocent with smelling of one's farts, telling the truth about who crushed on who among the group, and gulping down mixtures of condiments altogether in one shot. Until the innocent truth or dares became, well, let's just say I was thankful that Jisoo's parents weren't around to see us. If they did, they'd probably have a culture shock and order us to get out of the house at once.

"Is it over?" I asked, peeking between the gaps of my fingers, waiting for Bobby and Jisoo to stop making out in front of us. For the record, they weren't in a romantic relationship but the others always say how cute they look together, hence, their dare.

"Shush, they're not on the best part yet," Junhoe replied beside me, obviously liking what he was seeing.

Horrified at what I was seeing (honestly, how can the others approve of this happening?), I cried out, "Get a room, you guys!" It sent Jinhwan to hurl a throw pillow at Bobby's back, which was effective because the two finally broke away. Finally!

"That was..." Jisoo breathed out.

"Amazing," Bobby finished for her.

Eww.

"Gross," Donghyuk interjected.

Jennie rubbed her eyes. "I need bleach."

"If this is what we'll see on a daily basis, please don't hook up in the near future," Chanwoo commented, his face looking disgusted.

Lisa was laughing all the way, like an evil kid she was. She was the one who suggested the dare by the way.

Hanbin pouted like a kid. "Cheater!" Like Jinhwan, he threw a pillow at Bobby, a little harder than intended since he winced in pain.

The game started again, with Yunhyeong spinning the bottle. He put too much force into it that the bottle seemed to spin endlessly until it pointed to... me. Judging by the look on the girls' faces, I was in for a lot of trouble.

"Truth or dare?"

"Truth," I replied without hesitation.

"You're a killjoy, Chaeng. You've been choosing truth every time!" Jennie complained. I shrugged at that. She didn't have a choice as much as I do. If I did choose dare, it'd be the end of me.

"Truth," I repeated.

They looked at each other to think of a question. Then, Lisa raised her hand in the air like a good student in class. My face paled when I saw mischief in her eyes. Oh no...

"Truth! Why did you avoid Junhoe for a week?"

All eyes were on me and I knew they were curious as well, especially Junhoe. I didn't say it earlier after all when we were in Jisoo's room. I my lips in nervousness. Here's the thing: I'm a bad liar. What am I supposed to say? Actually, what is an accepted reason for that? Nothing, right? Unless I tell the truth...

"I changed my mind. Dare!"

Collective groans came from them. I don't want to disappoint them but my feelings are more important. Sorry guys. But among them, Lisa was the only one undeterred. I'm starting to get scared of her. "Okay then, kiss Junhoe."

"W - What?" I spluttered out of surprise. Is she serious?

Lisa folded her arms, sticking her nose up in the air as if she was doing something remarkable. "If Bobby and Jisoo did it, then you can too. It's just an innocent kiss~"

Urgh. This is why I don't play ToD with them!

"Lisa," I began, my eyes roaming around the circle for someone to save me from this mess. "I can't do that!"

Hanbin whistled. "Someone's backing out." He held out the bowl of fried chicken wings Yunhyeong cooked earlier. "Chicken, everyone?"

Jennie shook her head and acted like what I was doing was a great loss for everybody. "Please understand. It's Chaeyoung. We have to keep the dares kid-rated for her."

The others went, "Oohh~" with that. Slightly offended, I retorted, "Fine. I'll do it." I inhaled deeply, and turned to Junhoe, holding his face in place with my shaky hands. "Let's do this."

As I closed my eyes and leaned in, I wondered why I was doing this. I was always called the killjoy in the group while the rest have fun with things like this. I can't help it, I get uncomfortable doing it. But today, maybe it was peer pressure or whatever, that I give in to what they want me to do. It's just a kiss, right? Just a kiss...

My eyes flew open. I felt Junhoe my hands with his thumbs. Immediately, I saw him, staring at me, looking at me fondly like I was the most beautiful thing he laid eyes upon.

"Baby girl," Junhoe mumbled softly, a smile on his lips. "You don't have to do this."

I was too stunned to react. His dreamy eyes caught me in place, never giving me the chance to look away. It took some time for his words to register in my ears. He saw it as a cue for him to put my hands down. He faced the others and like earlier, he looked so serious it wasn't funny.

"This round's on me. Dare."

For the second time, they were awed. I had my eyes set on Junhoe the whole time, wondering why he was doing this for me.

"Fine then. I dare you to shave all of Sohee's hair."

There was laughter at Chanwoo's statement, which made me frown. It had been a running joke to make fun of Sohee ever since the bullying incident. They say they wouldn't do anything to retaliate but one time, I saw Jennie accidentally spilling her juice on Sohee's clothes. Not only that, but Lisa managed to do some damage on her reputation that people were wary approaching her now. Even Jinhwan and Yunhyeong did something to her. I heard Sohee was cornered by the two to talk. I didn't know what they said but it seemed serious.

Now Sohee was the one afraid to bump at me on the hallways. It would've been a good thing but my friends... they're being too much. It's like they aren't any better with what she did to me.

Yunhyeong raised his hand. "I have a better idea. Why don't we dare Junhoe to wash the dishes with Chaeyoung?"

Junhoe looked horrified with that and we all laughed. Junhoe hates cleaning of all things.

Jisoo, the houseowner, clapped her hands. "You know what, that's a good idea!"

"It's settled then."

"Seriously, why are you doing this to us?" Junhoe complained. He was forced to stand up by Jinhwan by hooking his arms around Junhoe's armpits. Junhoe had gone on a tirade why it was a bad idea but it all passed to everyone's ears as noise. There was no escaping this one, especially if it was in everyone's, mostly Jisoo's, favor.

"Come on, big boy. We have a lot of things to do," I muttered as I grab his arm and drag him to the kitchen. I didn't want to clean either but if this was gonna make me escape the hellish game, I'd choose it gladly.

"No kissing, by the way!" Bobby teased.

I rolled my eyes at this. "You already got that covered with Jisoo unnie."

-🌷-

The kitchen wasn't far off the living room so we could hear them cheering from time to time. I was done with that game and liked the peace I had right now. Besides, Junhoe looked too cute in his pajamas, his brows knitting together in focus while wiping the dishes dry beside me. The washing was assigned to me since he was slow in doing it. Frankly, he shouldn't be allowed to wash dishes at all because soap would run out before the half could be done. The sink was a bubbling mess. I didn't have the heart to drown it with water. Bubbles are too cute for me.

Junhoe nudged me using his elbow. When I turned to him, his face had no traces of a smirk I always see him with. Instead, his forehead was knotted with concern. "How are you dealing with... you know, everything?"

I sent him a brief smile, knowing what he meant.

"I'll live with my grandmother for a while until my parents sort things out. It's kinda messy now and everyone's adjusting but so far, I'm handling it better than I expect to be. Besides," I adjusted the yellow glove on my right since it was sliding off my hand. "I have you guys."

Silence prevailed on us because Junhoe smiled again. It was a rare sight to see so I wasn't prepared to see him like that. Everytime he does, my heart would be in a frenzy and I'd turn away just so he wouldn't see me blushing.

"Say, Chaeyoung, hypothetically, and I mean really hypothetically, if one of your close friends confess that he likes you, for example uh... me, what would be your reaction?"

It stopped me from washing the dishes. I didn't know why but the atmosphere turned weird all of a sudden. Where... where did this come from?

I pursed my lips and desperately tried to fight off the urge to smile at his question. But when I started speaking, I knew it was futile. I looked stupid smiling and speaking at the same time. "Wha – uhm – Why the sudden question?"

Junhoe stared at me for a while and it was so sudden that I raised my brows in surprise. We both looked away in embarrassment and the funny thing was, I didn't know what we were embarrassed about.

"Nevermind."

Deep breaths, Chaeyoung, breathe... breathe. Ah, so frustrating! Why is he doing this? What gives him the right to play with my feelings? What is his intention even?

Junhoe... you're on a different level. Are you doing this because you know how much I like you?

Irritated, I threw some soap bubbles at his direction, which landed on his arm.

"Hey! I just showered!"

I stuck my tongue out at him. As revenge, he dropped the towel and scooped some soap bubbles from the sink, bubbles that were formed because of a mess he made earlier.

"That's dirty!" I said in between laughs because he was wiping it on my face.

"Serves you right."

I retaliated by giving him the same treatment. This time, wiping some bubbles on his arm. He frowned at that but quickly smirked when he scopped soup bubbles on the sink with both of his hands. Regret must've been written on my face and it made his smirk grow. I tried to ran away but he put an arm around my shoulders before I could do so. Helpless, I inched my face away from him and he thought the best solution was to blow the bubbles directly in front of me, a bad idea by the way, since it also got on his face. He flinched and blinked for a few times because some got into his lashes. Heh. Karma's faster than a bullet train, remember that.

I got away from him and did the same thing he did earlier by scooping bubbles with both of my hands. Now the tables have turned and I was the one laughing. He ran away and I went after him. Even if he had his back turned to me, I successfully wiped the bubbles on his face, thankful for my long arms.

We played around for so long until our faces were full of soap bubbles, some getting on our clothes. I bet Santa Claus' jealous of us right now. Another shower was coming, I'm sure of it.

Out of breath, it was only after the laughters stopped that I realized how close we were to each other. He was holding both of my arms while my hands were leaning on his chest, an attempt to stop him from his attacks. His smile slowly slid off his face, probably realizing the things I was just seeing.

Something must be playing tricks on my eyes because I swear, I saw him looking at my lips for a second. But then it happened so fast that I had to wonder if what I saw was real or not. He ran his hand on my face after getting some bubbles from his bubble mustache, going from my forehead to my lips, and pushed my head a little.

"Go wash yourself up!"

Junhoe stalked out of the kitchen and I blinked for so many times, desperately making sense of what happened. What just happened?

~🌼tbc.