The Curious Wolf

On The Other Side

Yuri liked to think that there was no one in the world she could not befriend. It was not that she had an inflated ego… okay, maybe a little, that was the point of working her off at the gym. But, with her painfully sculpted body aside, Yuri was proud of how easy it was for her to strike a conversation with just about anyone.

 

All it really took was the initiative to step out of our comfort zone, approach someone and smile.

 

“You look stupid.” Jessica said, turning the page of her book.

 

The smile dispelled from Yuri’s face. She turned a curious glance at the “evil” witch daintily taking a sip from her caramel latte. Her face scrunched as her lips puckered at the sweetness of the coffee and Yuri grinned.

 

“A single shot café latte with triple pumps of caramel.” Yuri recited, supressing a giggle at the glare directed at her. “Or was it the other way around?”

 

“I hate you.” Jesscia spat, slamming her glass on the table and pushing up from her seat.

 

“Where you going?”

 

“To order my drink. You know, I would say I can’t believe you decide to play a prank on me the moment we stepped into this town. But, of course, it wouldn’t be you if you didn’t.”

 

“Aw, you know this is just me showing my love for you and keeping our lives a little bit exciting.”

 

“Oh, shut it.” Jessica’s brows scrunched in annoyance as her eyes settled on the long line at the front counter. “You know what, forget it. I’m going to sleep.” She sighed, slipping her book into her luggage bag.

 

“But it’s still morning!” Yuri protested, rising slightly from her seat.

 

“Yeah, well, I’m jet-lagged and the coffee you ordered is too damn sweet.” Jessica tipped the sunglasses perched on her head and ran her fingers through her hair. “If you need me, I’ll be in my room. Try not to need me.”

 

“Aw, come on Sica.” Yuri paused, took a quick sweep of their surroundings before she leaned in and lowered her voice. “You could just swing your stick around and fix the coffee. We’ll only be here for a few days, you can’t just sleep the day away.”

 

Jessica narrowed her eyes and suddenly leaned close to Yuri that their nose nearly bumped. “I’d appreciate it if you stopped calling my wand a stick. And I sure as hell can sleep the day away. It’s called a break, not an outing.”

 

Yuri pouted up at her. “But what am I supposed to do the whole day?”

 

“I don’t know. Go annoy someone else.” And after that’s said, Jessica swivelled on her heels, dragging her luggage behind her.

 

Yuri watched as Jessica merged with the crowd, hoping the witch would change her mind and return to her seat. It wasn’t until 5 minutes later that she groaned and began to down her coffee. Jessica, for sure, would not be coming back.

 

Oh well, she thought, as her eyes followed the waitress clearing the table next to hers. She put on one of her charming smiles, careful not to get too excited and accidentally show her additional appendages, and began to rise from her seat.

 

“Hey there.” For now, she could gather information about the town, and where else better could she get information than the locals. She smiled wider at the greeting and polite smile she received. There was no one Kwon Yuri could not befriend.

 

 

 

 

 

Yuri sniffed curiously at the air. It was faint, but there was no doubt in her mind what it was she was getting. Roasted meat, far into the depths of the mountain. Interesting.

 

“Hey, what’s up there?” She nodded her head towards the heavy shrubbery that lined the beginnings of the forest. Her guide, a helpful young man, who she gathered liked adventure, followed her sights.

 

“The mountain?”

 

“Yeah. I mean, is anyone living there? Like a tribe or something?”

 

“Just the usual small critters. There’s also the deer herd, some bears and wolves.” The guide shrugged. “Why’d you ask?”

 

“Oh, I just thought…” She shook her head. “Nothing, just wondering. It’s the first time I’ve been out of the city.”

 

“Ah. Well, there’s nothing much after the border of the forest. The only time anyone would venture into the mountain is to hunt.” Oh, Yuri thought, that must be it, a hunter cooking their meal. “No one’s up there now. The deer have migrated down south for the winter, and trailing after them the wolves. The hunters have put up their guns until the next season when they come back. It’s the law.”

 

“Really? Is there anything else in there?”

 

“A few birds, maybe boars.” Nothing that can make fire.

 

“I see.” Yuri’s gaze trailed up to the direction of the scent. Either someone was hunting illegally or hiding from the rest of civilization. That was interesting indeed.

 

 

 

 

 

“I am not going with you.” Jessica snapped. She eyed the werewolf, narrowing her eyes at the swishing tail and dog ears protruding from her hair, scoffing as Yuri haphazardly stuffed a few necessities into her rucksack.

 

“Okay.” Yuri responded, not quite listening to Jessica’s reply. She already knew the witch wouldn’t tag along, but it was only polite to ask.

 

“You are an idiot.” Jessica grumbled, shaking her head as she sat on her bed. Yuri simply hummed to let her know she was still listening, not quite hearing though.

 

“I am not going to save your from whatever’s in there.”

 

“I’ll be fine, Sica. I just want to know who’s in there. I’ll be in and out and before you know it I’ll be bugging you again.”

 

“Well, you can stay there for all I care. If you get into trouble you get yourself out. Do not call me. I’ll be enjoying my break and nothing you will do can ruin it.” Jessica huffed, crossing her arms over her chest as she continued watching Yuri go over the items in her bag.

 

Satisfied with her packing, Yuri swung her bag over her shoulder, lastly shoving her hat on her head and she was ready. She grinned at Jessica’s scowling face and gave her a thumb up. “I’ll see you when I get back. Don’t have too much fun without me.”

 

And before Jessica could say anything further Yuri scrambled for the door, too excited to find out what exactly caught her nose.

 

 

 

 

 

Yuri’s tongue hung down her jaw as she panted from the exertion of her body. The lower half of her body sunk to the grassy floor beneath her, her long limbs awkwardly jutting out in the most unlady like manner. But then again, what were manners to a transformed werewolf? She was, in all technicalities, . Yuri could already imagine the “evil” witch rolling her eyes and scoffing at her immature thinking.

 

The bottled water in her bag was beginning to look more like the sweetest nectar in all the phase of the Earth at that moment. She stared at her elongated fingers, specifically at the long, hooked claws. She strained her ears for the sound of rushing water, mentally berating herself for running past the last river without stopping for a water break. The river was about half an hour back, full speed, and Yuri hadn’t the time or energy to double back for that. The bag she carried was not some cheaply made rucksack so tearing through it was out of the option. Changing back was just too much of a hassle, and painful to boot. Now she remembered why she hated full moons, transforming of your own accord was painful enough, what more a forceful one.

 

She laid down on the grassy ground, breathing deeply through her open muzzle. She let her tongue stick out through the side of for easier breathing.

 

The scent was stronger now, so much so that it felt like it was surrounding her. Her empty stomach grumbled, waiting to be filled up by the tasty morsels of roasted meat. She her chops, swallowing copious saliva that had gathered in . She was so close, but where exactly is it.

 

The oxygen had gotten thinner, the air cooler, and not too far ahead the trees were thinning out from the harsh conditions. Her eyes searched for signs of fire, for any movement. They landed on a ridge a little higher up from where she rested.

 

That could be it.

 

She pushed up on all fours, her lower limbs retracting, reading for a leap. She breathed in deeply and made the lunge. Stretching her clawed hands she grabbed the ledge, using the momentum to push the rest of herself up, only to crash land on her chest. A soft whimper leaves her gritted jaws and she pushes herself up, shaking her body to rid of dust and lingering shrubbery.

 

Her eyes scan the surrounding, nose twitching at the new scent. She wonders why she hadn’t picked up on the scent a while ago. It, for sure, didn’t smell human. The scent led into a wide, dark cave. A normal, sane person would have stopped at the entrance, taken a quick look at the various bones half buried into the ground and turned back to safety.

 

Yuri was no normal, sane person.

 

Her tail wagged at the prospect of meeting someone new, a supernatural like herself. She has never met someone like the owner of the cave. Whatever they are gave a distinctive scent that Yuri had never picked up in the city. And to have hidden a scent of this calibre, they were no normal creature.

 

Without second thoughts she entered the cave. Her eyes gradually adjusted to the darkness of the cave, her nose her main guide to the unfamiliar territory. It’s scent was all over the place, but not as strong as it was further down the path. Keeping to the walls Yuri followed the scent, careful not to create too much noise.

 

Then she felt a sudden cool gust pushing into the cave, nearly taking her with it from the strong force. Not a moment later a hot gust pushes at her front, forcing her to find a niche to cling on to.

 

As the gust dies down Yuri stiffened, the hairs at her back rising in fright. Whatever it was in there knows she was in the cave. She swallowed the lump in , squeezing her eyes shut as she backed to the wall. Muttering a short prayer she tried mentally sending an S.O.S. to Jessica.

 

When she looked up a small squeak leaves her lips. A pair of large, green eyes with slits for its pupils were staring right back at her, gradually rising until Yuri has no choice but to tilt her head just to keep eye contact. She her chops, sending a sloppy mental farewell to her companion.

 

“H-Hi..” she manages to push out of her lips. She bears her teeth in a crooked grin. Wrong choice as the cave dweller rears back, an angry growl booming through the cave.

 

 

 

 

 

“Where have you been? Are you alright? You look fine. You nearly scared me to death with that farewell! Is that a scratch on your arm? I am going to kill you!”

 

Yuri grinned through Jessica’s inspection of her. She giggled when her cold hands brushed through her torso, lightly gliding over a particularly nasty bruise when she stumbled and fell on a boulder.

 

“I’m fine. It was a false alarm.” Jessica stares at her for a few seconds, searching her face for any signs of falseness. She follows it up with a barrage of slaps aimed at Yuri’s arm.

 

“Ow! Ow! Sica! Ow!” Yuri grimaced, using her good arm to protect the rest of her head and body. As fragile as Jessica looked her slaps stung more than any insect stings Yuri had ever received.

 

“I thought you died! You- You! Argh!” Jessica flung her hands in the air, her bottom dropping on the unoccupied space on the bed, right beside Yuri.

 

“Aw~ it’s nice to know you still care about me~”

 

“Shut up. I am going to shave your tail, chop off your tongue, deep fry it and feed it to you. I can’t believe you!”

 

“Sica~ I was just curious. I smelt something coming from the mountains and the guide told me no one was up there. I thought there was someone like us living up there and I just wanted to say hi.”

 

“You didn’t need to. You don’t know if the locals up there might think you’re trespassing on their homes. What if that happened, huh? What the hell happened to you up there anyway?” She sniffed at the air and scrunched her nose. “And why do you smell like cooked meat?”

 

“Oh, yeah! I met Taeyeon up there. She’s so cool! She doesn’t know what’s been happening out of the forest though. She’s basically like a hermit. Can you believe it? A hermit, at this day and age.”

 

“Slow down. Who the hell is Taeyeon?”

 

“Oh!” Yuri paused, her tail swishing madly as a wide grin settles on her face. “My new friend.”

 

Jessica gives her a look of deadpan. “You’ve got to be kidding me.”

 

Yuri’s tail continues its swishing motion, her dog like ears twitching in her excitement. “I kid you not. Taeyeon said she was born at the mountain, high above where there was a very low chance to come across people. She’s a really good hunter too! Oh! And the treasures she’s hoarded over the years! She’s got a tiara!”

 

“Really. Is she some sort of goblin? Hiding away in her cave.” Jessica drawled sarcastically.

 

“No. Nothing like that. No hordes of goblins are a match for Taeyeon.”

 

“You speak of her like she is a God.”

 

“She’s less of a God, but I guess, in some religion she is.”

 

“Excuse me?” And that perked Jessica’s interest. “What is this Taeyeon you speak off?”

 

A Cheshire grin spread across Yuri’s face as she sat up, extending her hand out for Jessica to grab. “You wouldn’t believe me if I told you. So, why don’t I show you instead?”

 

Jessica tilted her head, staring at Yuri’s hand. “Alright.” She relented, reaching to grasp Yuri’s hand, letting the werewolf pull her to her feet. “I mean, you can’t possibly make friends with a banished demigod.”

 

Yuri clicked her tongue. “Sica, Sica, Sica… There is no one on Earth I cannot befriend.”