Everything Human

On The Other Side

A/N: I’ve been in a good mood recently. Busy, but I feel content with how life’s been treating me. So here's some nonsensical shot in Tiffany's perspective.

 

 

She could remember the first time she saw what was a human. It was a time when the electric bulb was but a thought running through electron impulses through the synapses of the human mind. A concept that was to be. So, candle lights and various forms of flames was the way to go. It was a time when the Earth was greener, way lusher with the mother earth’s creation all around. It was what they called the simple life. A time when you reap what you sow.

 

It had been two children who had wandered too far into the trees and gotten lost. She had watched as what appeared to be the youngest softly sobbing as the older of the two, a girl in pigtails, tried to calm the younger boy with whispered promises as she alternately rubbed the top of his head and his back.

 

She had shown up for them, mimicking the older girl’s clothing and size to get them to trust her quicker. The girl was a little apprehensive, but seeing as there was nothing she could really do, relented and followed along, clutching the boy’s hand firmly in her grasp.

 

She had told them stories to let the time past. She humorously noted the apprehensive gaze the older of the two gave her while the younger took her stories as truth, his expression morphing into that of fear.

 

“Is that true?” The young boy whimpered, tugging at his sister’s sleeves. The older girl frowns before shaking her head.

 

“She’s just telling stories.”

 

“I’m not making it up.” Tiffany reaffirmed, wearing a teasing grin to continue scaring the children off. “Fairies are real as you and me. So, you better watch out or they’ll trick you and eat you all up, bones and all.”

 

“Stop it!” The girl hissed as she wrapped her arms around her younger brother. Tiffany felt a little bad as the youngest sniffled, continuously throwing wary glances all around them. “You’re scaring us.”

 

Tiffany’s grin softens and she nods her head. “It’s just tales I’ve heard. I doubt they’re real, but you never know.”

 

“Where’d you hear them? I’ve never been told those tales of fairies.”

 

“From fairies.” Tiffany shrugged off-handedly, reaching to push back a wild bush and let the children pass. “Past these greens, you guys go straight and you’ll come out to a path. Turn left…” she pauses, glancing back at the girl. “You know your lefts and rights, right?”

 

She’s responded by a roll of the eyes. “I’m not a baby. I know where left and right is.”

 

Tiffany giggles and she pulls the bushes a bit wider. “Then get going before the sun sets.”

 

The girl pats her brother’s back, urging him to go ahead. Before the boy ducks under the opening, Tiffany reaches to ruffle his messy            head of hair, silently casting a protective charm on the young child. The boy looks up at her with a pout before he is pushed by his sister from behind.

 

“Stay on the path and you’ll find your way home.” Tiffany tells her as she places a hand on the girl’s shoulder, mutely casting the same spell. The girl looks at her and slowly breaks out into her first small smile since they met.

 

“Thank you.” Tiffany smiles broadly, letting the smile up to her eyes. The girl’s brows shoot to hide behind her soft fringe. “You have very pretty eyes.”

 

Tiffany chuckles and gently nudges the girl forward. The girl follows after her brother, feeling a little apprehensive now that they were guideless. Once she emerges from the cover of the leaves she’s met with the excited toothy grin of her brother as he points to the wide path that Tiffany said would be there.

 

She turns, eyes searching to try and get a glimpse of the helpful girl. A gasp escapes her lips when she sees Tiffany’s smiling eyes peering at her from a branch. She lifts her index finger, pressing it up against her lips and winks, chuckling when the girl continues staring at her in surprise before leaning back and disappearing into the thick shrubs.

 

“Where’s the girl?” Her brother quips, looking expectantly at the bush they emerged from.

 

“It wasn’t all true.” She says, ignoring her brother’s question.

 

“What wasn’t?”

 

“Fairy tales she told us, they weren’t all true. Fairies are nice, not evil.” She takes another glance at the spot she last saw Tiffany, grinning brightly as if sharing a secret with the woods.

 

 

 

 

 

It was a small, quaint house with a moderately sized family living in it. She had spotted a brownie furiously at work, fixing what looked to be a shoe, or was it pants? It was too focused to give her a proper greeting, so Tiffany decided to give herself the tour. The resident brownie doesn’t seem to mind her presence even as she fluttered about teasingly.

 

She fluttered through the area of the ground floor, browsing through the small collection of books arranged in the bookcase and attempted to read the printed words along the spines. She gave up not long after and decided to play with the old dog curled close to the dying heat of the fireplace. The sweet thing had lifted its head long enough to look at her in mild curiosity before deflating back to the floor, either too old to give her much thought or too used to the creatures scurrying about when no one was watching.

 

It was not long after that a creak on the boards had the brownie rush off in hiding. The old dog lifted its wrinkled head up, whining softly as the creaking became louder. Tiffany flew to the shelf, ducking under the shadows of the nearest book. Her curiosity keeping her grounded rather than making her escape.

 

An old woman, her face wrinkled with age, shuffled carefully into the room. She sat on one of the chairs closest to the fire, her calloused hand falling on top of the dog’s head giving it a firm pat on the head, much to the dog’s delight. She leans back in the chair, whipping up a length of cloth attached to a ball of yarn from the basket at the foot of the chair. Her knobby fingers deftly worked the wooden pins and sting of yarn masterfully, showcasing her years of expertise with quick flicks and twirls. A small smile was plastered on her aging face, looking serene as she hunched over her work, much like the brownie a while back.

 

Tiffany had watched in amazement as the piece of cloth began to take form and grow larger in size. That night, as she snitched a few sips from the honeyed milk and bits of cookies, she listened to the soft humming of the woman, the clicking of needles and the soft spitting of the fire away at the wood. The sound of human life.

 

As the sun broke the thin mist that has hidden the town, the fire leaving nothing but the orangey glow of its dying light, came the pounding of little feet flying to the small room. Bright-eyed young boy peeked over the old woman’s shoulder, giggling softly when he thinks the elderly woman hadn’t noticed his presence.

 

The woman’s face broke into an equally bright smile as she lifted the sweater up for inspection. The gasp of awe from the young one seems to make the stretch of smile pull wider. The woman turned, putting the finished product up against the young one’s torso.

 

“Perfect fit.” Was what the woman said before the young boy squealed in delight, diving into the underside and pushing his head through the collar, messing his bedhead hair even more. Scrawny arms fly around the elderly woman’s shoulder, giggles emitting from both the young boy and the woman. Tiffany’s heart warms at the sight and she smiles at the simplicity.

 

“Nana, did the brownie help you make this?”

 

The older woman laughed. “You know the brownies don’t want to be seen.”

 

“Then, fairies! They help too, right?” The woman put a hand over the giddy child’s head, fondly ruffling his hair.

 

“Why don’t you go see if the offering’s been taken?”

 

With a short gasp, the boy ran off to where the offering was left, excited cheers coming soon after of how the offerings were all gone and that the fairies had visited. Tiffany sits back, grinning as she follows the excited boy rushing back and forth. If he only knew.

 

 

 

Flash forward years later and she was walking among the people she used to watch from the shadows. Her eyes glittered in fascination as she watched a man, once a young boy with a bed of messy hair, worked his wonders with his passion for the colourful paste until a still picture was formed. The white paper stained with splashes of reds, blues, and yellows, mixed to create lavender purple, orange sunsets, and brown trunks with the sparse colours he could buy.

 

She breathed deeply, feeling her chest fill up with positivity. She listened to the shouts of joy and soft giggles of the children nearby, running through the streets, jumping into puddles and rolling over the grass. The smiles on their dirt-stained faces never failed to bring up hers.

 

The soft sighs of young lovers as they strolled aimlessly by, their hands clasped tightly with each other, a silent promise of never letting go. The old couple, sitting on opposite sides of the bench, not quite openly expressive of their love, but the occasional looks they give each other enough a proof of their devotion to each other. She watches all with a light heart as what she sees happening before her begins to take form in the young man’s pad.

 

When he does the last , the finishing touches, he looks back, a wide, toothy grin in place as he holds up his painting for a side by side comparison. Tiffany smiled as she brushed her hand fondly through his messy hair.

 

“It’s not bad, isn’t it? I told you I can blend the colours well.” He says as he gets up from the small box that housed the art materials that he had been using as a chair. An extremely resourceful chap he was.

 

“That you did.” Tiffany nods her head. She takes hold of one side, pushing it back to get a better comparison, though she needn’t have to. Years of playing with colour pallets and charcoal had honed the man’s skills. Along with her helpful guidance, taking on a fairy godmother character that children loved in stories, he grew up to be one of the best artists she’s seen.

 

 

 

The next time she returns the land is barren. Their gateway was closed off for a time, for reasons those higher-ups refuse to explain. She had known better than to make a fuss of it, being a princess there was a lot of rules she had to abide by. As she stood in the middle of the ruins of what was once a small homely cottage she understood.

 

The dark side of humans surfacing, ruining the peace for one man’s greed for power.

 

Her chest twanged in disappointment, partially to herself for not doing anything to help her human. It was not easy to find the young man again. It had been a few gruelling years and she wasn’t so sure she’d be able to tell what kind of man he was now that he’s grown, and after such a disastrous war. She opted to observe, melding back in the shadows, as the humans began to pick up the pieces.

 

She eventually did find him, her heart easing somewhat that he was not part of those buried under a nameless grave. The young man no longer held those kind eyes that looked to the horizon in amazement. His once boyish look had turned sullen, a thickening black beard making him look older than the last time Tiffany saw him. There was a grim look to him, the same ones that most of the men had, bloodshot eyes and a constant nick to their necks as they cautiously looked over their shoulders in paranoia. The effects of war.

 

Life still went on despite the lives lost. Slowly, gradually, they began to rebuild. The light in their eyes dimmed, but it was still there. A strong desire to live on despite the hurt and loss.

 

She had shown up to him one time, standing amidst the crowd in the market. His eyes had met hers, and unlike what she had envisioned of a touching reunion like the stories she's read with him when he was younger, she saw instead surprise before he broke their staring contest. He turned back the way he came, shoulders rigid, not even once looking back. It had shattered her heart and she reluctantly returned to the shadows. She still had a promise to keep and she was going to look after him whether he liked it or not.

 

It wasn’t too long that she found small smiles, blushing cheeks, innocent touches and soon enough tinkling laughter. He was healing, but he had completely shut her out, gradually forgetting her.

 

The last she saw the boy he was old, saggy and slow. The top of his head had thinned out, his white, wispy hair barely concealing his scalp and his tanned hands spotted with liver-spots looked synthetically dry. He was sitting on the porch outside of his house, his eyes closed in meditation.

 

When she sat an arm’s length away he turned his head to her. The browns of his eyes looked hazy but the bright-eyed look was back. His lips curled to a smile as he wheezed a small laugh.

 

“You don’t look a day older than the first time I saw you.”

 

Tiffany was pleasantly surprised at the acknowledgement, the smile on her face irrepressible as the tears forming in her eyes. She reached out, gently placing her hand on his.

 

“You’ve grown.” She says, lips trembling.

 

He nods his head. “I have.”

 

“You have a beautiful family.”

 

He turns his head to the open doorway where his wife was busily slaving away in the kitchen, preparing for when their children return the eve to celebrate his birthday.

 

“A big family. Two boys and three girls, all of them married and have a family of their own…”

 

“I know.” She says softly, brushing the tears from the corner of her eyes.

 

He looks at her, breaking out another smile. “I had a feeling you did... I had a feeling you never really left after the war. After the last time I saw you… I couldn’t see you anymore after that, but I knew you were still there looking out for me.”

 

“I had a promise to keep, and I never break my promises.” She squeezed his hand firmly. He turns his hand a little, letting her delicate fingers slip into his calloused hands and squeezed back.

 

“You sent her my way, didn’t you?”

 

“What makes you say that?” she smiles coyly.

 

“Well, ribbons don’t randomly fly towards a specific direction.” He laughs, Tiffany joining along with her softer giggles. It had taken multiple attempts of charming the girl's ribbon to bring the two together. The two were blind to their other's longing stares that she just had to step in than watch the tragic love story unfolding before her any longer.

 

“What kind of Godmother would I be if I hadn’t? You weren’t exactly very forthcoming.”

 

“I didn’t want to scare her. I’m not exactly good looking.”

 

“Yeah, well you weren’t doing much better than a rock with your silent tactic.”

 

“Thank you.” He looks at her, his eyes gleaming with unshed tears. “For sticking with me even when I tried to forget you.”

 

Tiffany gave him a bright smile, feeling the long, dull pain in her chest easing away.

 

 

 

Not long after the machines began to grow and spread. Pictures began to move, motorised cars started to go faster, metal bodies turning sleeker with time. The machines began to compress, getting smaller and smaller yet smarter than ever before. From radio waves to Bluetooth to wireless connection, the people of the world were pressing forward to a brighter future. Personal computers made nearly obsolete by laptops and tablets, and video game consoles capturing the children’s attention. For over a hundred years she watched as civilization continued to grow, continued to formulate and create more ideas.

 

Being human became a little more complicated. Teasings weren’t always meant to hurt and sweet words weren’t said with good cheer. Smiles hid a great deal of pain and crying was seen as something liberating. Just when she thought she had understood how customs were like they start changing. Humans were truly fascinating in that way.

 

Towering buildings soon overtook small houses and arcades. The world repopulated and modernization stretching far and wide.

 

And yet, in her eyes, everything was still the same.

 

Despite all the technological advancement and changes, looking at it as a whole, everything was still as it was the first time she saw humanity.

 

An old Nana still cared for her grandchild. Man still strived to create something out of nothing. Children still smiled and laughed with the innocence of youth. Lovers still went about as lovers do.

 

No matter what you threw at them, humanity still found a way to find comfort and happiness and love. And that was pretty amazing.

 

Tiffany hums a soft melody as she gazed down at the woman resting her head on her thighs. Her fingers caress the silky, black tress, hooking a few strands behind her ear. Gentle fingers traced the outside shell of her ear, going down to follow the groove of jaw down to her chin. Her features soften when the woman slightly stirs in her nap, eyes fluttering open slightly as she turned until she was facing the swell of Tiffany’s belly.

 

Taeyeon’s eyelids lifted further, hazy eyes staring absently at the white cloth of Tiffany’s loose shirt. Then a goofy grin pulls at her lips, showing the top row of pearly whites, and the puny human shifted to press her lips against the clothed torso.

 

Tiffany’s heart swells with love and pride as she watches Taeyeon whisper softly, sleepily to her stomach, rubbing soothing circles all over her rounded belly. When the puny human looks up, their eyes meeting, she breaks into a serene smile, the cute chin dimple making its presence as she continues the relaxing ministration.

 

“Thank you.”

 

With her partner by her side and little one growing in her tummy soon to come out to the world she thinks, they weren’t so different from humans after all.