Treasures

On The Other Side

Taeyeon never imagined what it would be like finding love, having a partner, and making a family.

 

For a long time, it was such a strange concept to her. She has never seen another intelligent species having chosen to seclude herself on top of the mountain. The one time she had come across a dragon had been a couple of centuries ago. It was not a friendly encounter and she was caught by surprise at the first strike. The battle had been quick but it was fought fiercely, nearly costing her life had she not retreated. She came away with nasty injuries and lost a portion of her horn – the thing Yuri called half an antler. So, it was no surprise that Taeyeon never actively sought out other dragons.

 

But Yuri, the good-hearted, playful, silly werewolf, had promised her she’d, as she said it, “keep a nose out for them. Never know who’s in the big city”. And she had kept to her word, for about two months before barging in Taeyeon’s workplace one night and went into theatrics about the dizzying scents and she had to call it quits and begged Taeyeon not to get angry. Taeyeon only shrugged her shoulders and verbally assured the silly girl she was fine with it. She never really wanted to meet another dragon after that unfortunate incident. Plus, looking at the dysfunctional relationship between the witch and the werewolf, Taeyeon wasn’t too keen on the thought of looking for a soulmate anyway.

 

Several months later, when a certain brunette came waltzing into the doors of her workplace trying to figure her way out of her scarf, armed with the most dazzling smile and a pair of crescent eye smiles, her reservation for a companion was thrown into question. Who knew long nights of endless talks of mountains, dreams and laughing at the werewolf’s troubles was all it took for one reckless act and threw her reservations out the window. After a few more months, one accidental tranation, and one slip of a tongue had broken any reservations between them. The rest was like living in a dream.

 

And then along came the little, doe-eyed tyke that melted everyone’s hearts at one glance.

 

Breeding was never at the forefront of Taeyeon’s mind. Neither was hoarding treasures, but the mountain of accumulated gold and jewels in her cavern proves her thoughts otherwise. She would often find herself gazing longingly at the glittering golden pieces dangling from women’s necks and wrists. Mortals were so fond of parading around with their valuables so easy for the taking, but go crazy at the thought of parting with their small treasures. But Taeyeon was over it. The day she agreed to trane herself as a human was the day she relinquished her greed for the shiny, glittering objects. Besides, she found something more worthwhile to treasure in her new life, someone that caught her eyes and her heart.

 

Gazing at the innocent, wide-eyed gaze of the little girl, Taeyeon understood the looked she often saw on their parents' faces. It was the same awe that she once held as she gazed down at her mountain of treasures, her pride, and joy. Looking back on it, Taeyeon would laugh at the reason how the little tyke was conceived, she was after all part at fault that day.

 

It was over a year back, at a house party to celebrate Yuri’s move to Jessica’s flat. It was a small one, just a party of six. She had not expected it to end up so crazy. It started when everyone had drunk up the last of the beers when the tipsy former flatmates decided to volunteer to get more drinks. They had instead stumbled into a room that housed the vials of potions in their search for the master bedroom. Something had immediately caught their eyes, the pink and blue liquid in one of the vials, been entranced at how the two liquids don’t seem to mix like water and oil. Taeyeon didn’t know what came over her to dare the werewolf to drink the potion. Yuri, with her ego challenged and thoughts muddled, instantly downed the potion in one go. When nothing happened the duo left to grab their jackets and wallets and went to buy more beer. On the way back that Taeyeon noted the discomfort Yuri was in. Thinking it was just the beer she paid her no mind. The next day, she woke up to the shrill screams from the master bedroom.  Head pounding and hissing at the fluorescent light she struggled to push off the number of limbs piled atop her and sat up, her eyes soon shot to the loud banging courtesy of the door of the master bedroom, followed the half- figure sprinting to the potion room, and Taeyeon knew whatever the potion was had worked.

 

If there was anything she learned from the life that was produced between Yuri and Jessica, it was that the baby’s excretion was not something to be made fun off. It stung her nose, made her eyes tear up, and the baby needs changing every few hours or so. Really, all it does is feed, pee and poop its nappy, cries for various reasons- sometimes for no reason at all, and leaving it to cry itself to sleep (aside from it just being cruel) was considered a crime. It needed constant attention 24/7.

 

Taeyeon applauded Yuri for managing her little one well. Not the first couple of months, she wouldn’t shut up about the little rascal fraying her nerves. Watching her actions the next few ones though, Yuri was actually coping very well. She looked a little thinner and the eye bags tells the story of her sleep deprivation, but she smiled a lot more (if that was possible), and bragged her daughter to anyone who would listen.

 

Jessica was no different. Tiffany said it was cute seeing the once high strung witch openly cooing and showering kisses on her little rascal and her life partner.

 

“Her maternal instincts finally kicked in.” Tiffany laughed when the normally placid witch shot up from her chair the second they all heard the soft wail, sailed over the coffee table and skittered noiselessly to her child’s bedroom. Tiffany was tickled pink, laughing heartily on her seat, while Taeyeon stared expectantly at little Kwon’s room, listening to the cooings of both mother and daughter, waiting for Jessica to come out cradling the little one. She thought it was amazing, how a little being, so vulnerable to the world, could drastically change people so much.

 

The little one was indeed a cute one. Nestled securely in her mother’s arm she babbled in her baby talk with her chubby, rosy cheeks glistening with the spittle she smeared with her small fists. She was incredibly vocal for someone who didn’t know the common tongue, and with just four, barely there, baby teeth. Taeyeon wondered how such a tiny thing could stir something within her, a primitive instinct that had sat dormant for so long, and she knew she wasn’t the only one afflicted by it.

 

A pair of big brown eyes wondered over to Taeyeon’s face, a flash of recognition, and the baby gurgled, lifting one little fist up. It looked as if she was pointing and laughing at her. Taeyeon wonders if she remembered the bottle incident the last time she visited. She wants to vocalise her question but feels like Jessica and Tiffany would only laugh at her cluelessness.

 

She made a mental reminder to ask Yuri when she wasn’t completely burnt out from juggling work and caring for the little one.

 

“Does my baby girl want Taeyeonnie to hold her?” Taeyeon snapped an alarmed look at Jessica.

 

She held her arms up to her chest and Jessica, reading her body language wrong, quickly passed the confused baby over to Taeyeon. The succeeding seconds after that seemed like a blur to Taeyeon, and she couldn’t quite recall how the little rascal ended up securely in her arms. The little one continued to stare up at her, not making any noise for once, just silently scrutinising her face.

 

Tiffany was beside her in an instant, one arm encircling around Taeyeon’s waist. She cooed the baby’s name, her free hand hovering over the little one, wriggling her fingers to produce a little glittering magic that has the baby crooning in delight.

 

“Good job, Tae.” Taeyeon heard Tiffany whisper before she felt the soft press of Tiffany’s lips against her cheek.

 

She looked up then, managing to put on a crooked smile. “I really don’t know what to do now.” She admitted softly.

 

“Not dropping her is a good start.” Jessica intervened, grinning coyly at her. “Drop my Yoona, Kim Taeyeon, and I will have your head.” She added lightly. Taeyeon stiffly nodded, positively sure that Jessica will follow through her threat, dragon or not. Satisfied with Taeyeon’s answer she slipped her arm with Tiffany’s and began to drag her off to the kitchen to continue their chat.

 

Taeyeon looked after them, staying completely still in fear that she might do something to disrupt the peace the baby seemed to be in. She looked down at the silent girl, her doe-like eyes were staring into space as she on her thumb.

 

“You know, I would never drop you.” Taeyeon muttered to baby Yoona while the little one completely ignored her. Taeyeon sighed, gently beginning to sort of rock the baby while simultaneously bounce her, partially hoping to grab her attention, mostly hoping the act wouldn’t start another round of wailing. The rewarding giggle and wide smile eased the fear in her chest, her frozen limbs came back to her command and she fell back onto her seat.

 

A crooked grin pulls at her lips as the little one continued her little happy gurgles. Her hands were up in the air as if trying to grab Taeyeon’s hair or face. When her little face began to wrinkle Taeyeon silently slipped one finger into her small palm. The little one pulled her finger, experimentally curling her hand around it, once again invested in her curiosity.

 

“You’re not so bad, little one. You really are cute, and so tiny.”

 

Taeyeon’s eyes flickered back to the two women laughing in the kitchen. Tiffany’s eyes find hers and she’s graciously given one of Tiffany’s dazzling smiles. She smiled back just as wide, mouthing I love you to her. Her eyes then fall to the slight bump of Tiffany’s belly.

 

Taeyeon had little to no idea on what to do with babies, but she was already sure as the sky is blue, she would never be able to part with her new treasures.

 

A/N: Surprise! It's as logical as it can get with magic.