One or Two?

On The Other Side

“One or two?”

 

“What?”

 

“Take a pick. One? Or two?”

 

“Can I ask what it’s for?”

 

“You’ll know. Now, one or two?”

 

The short barista hummed, quickly transferring the remaining coffee cups on top of the coffee machine. Tiffany snuck a peek at the side, grinning at the way the short barista was struggling to return the cups back to their proper place. The height of the table was not short people friendly, add the height of the machine and the barista’s cleaning routine alone was already a struggle. She was relentless, despite being the only one to man the front she breezed through her duties like it was nothing. Always wearing that small satisfied grin, the same one that graces the barista’s face the moment she returned the last of the cups. She makes a small bounce, barely noticeable if one wasn’t looking directly at her, before the sole of her shoes planting firmly back on the linoleum floor. Cute.

 

“One.” She finally answers, turning her back to Tiffany as she makes her way to the back with the empty dishwashing tray.

 

The fairy nods her head, keeping the choice in mind. She leans her back against the counter, briefly checking the shop for any new customers before turning her eyes upwards, blowing up her cheeks and started making popping noise with her lips.

 

“So, what was the choice for?” The barista asked as soon as she returned to the front.

 

Tiffany grins as she turns back around the front counter, tucking her arms one over the other and resting her chin in the slightly elevated crevice in between. “What’s your name?”

 

The barista paused in her drying, one of the teaspoons slipping from the dry cloth and dropping to the floor with a loud clink. The barista muttered a curse, moving her hands again and dropping the rest of the dried teaspoons into its designated container. She picked up the dropped silver, slipping it into the pocket of her apron to avoid mixing it with the other clean silver.

 

“This is not a very good place to have that kind of conversation, miss Tiffany.”

 

Tiffany pushed her lower lip into a pout. “Why? Are you scared of something?”

 

The barista made a small huffing sound. “No, it’s not that. I just- I make it a point to keep everyone’s identities a secret. I don’t want the rest of the patrons to know anyone’s names here. They might not all be evil, but most of them are tricksters and the last thing I want is for anyone to find… ah, bad luck following them.”

 

“Ah.. So, are you like the knight in shining armour? Here to defend the damsels from evil magicians and dragons.”

 

The barista laughed. “Knight in shining armour? Damsels? Evil magicians and dragons?” She leaned over the front counter returning Tiffany’s teasing smirk with her own playful grin. “Where did you come from?”

 

“Let’s just say I’ve been around enough to know even of those old, American tales.” Tiffany said, doing a short, elegant flourish of her hand. “But seriously, you and I both know none of the tricksters can curse you if they don’t know your full name. All I’m asking for is a name to your pretty face.” She grinned at the faint blush colouring the barista’s cheek and the way she hurriedly tried to pretend to be busy just so she could turn her back to her. Shy little thing. Or maybe she was shaking off the enchantment once more. Either way, Tiffany found herself smiling even wider as she watched the barista’s every move. Her curiosity of the girl was getting bigger and bigger, and she could barely contain the giddy feeling bursting from her chest, of finally finding someone who doesn’t become enticed by the curse on her. Who sees her for who she truly is. Someone she doesn’t need to be careful around.

 

“If it makes you feel any better, I’m not the variety that makes contracts or pulls tricks.”

 

“What kind of variety are you then?” The barista cocked a brow, reaching for something else to do.

 

“Ah, that is for friends to know and for the rest to keep guessing.”

 

The barista chuckled. “You’ve been dropping by the last few days and hang out to chat with me. Are we still not friends?”

 

“I don’t know.” Tiffany countered, leaning further onto the counter. “I usually know my friends' names.”

 

The barista snorted, her grin pulling wider. “You’ve got me there.” She stole a glance around the café, taking note of where the closest patron was sitting. “If I tell you my name, will you tell me what you really are?”

 

Tiffany hummed thoughtfully. “Well, why do you ask?”

 

“The werewolf was so confident in finding out what you are before anyone else, so we placed a bet.” She replied bluntly, giving a half shoulder shrug.

 

“And what would you get out of this bet?” Tiffany asked, untangling her arms from underneath her and propping them up so as to get a better angle.

 

“A month where I’ll be free from doing house chores.” The barista replied. “So, we have a deal?”

 

“Don’t you think it’s unfair to the werewolf?”

 

“We never said we couldn’t ask you directly.”

 

Tiffany nodded her head, amused at this smart barista. “Name first.”

 

The barista grinned, reaching her hand out. “Taeyeon, night barista. A pleasure to make your acquaintance.”

 

Tiffany returned the greeting, clasping Taeyeon’s hand in hers in a firm grip. “Likewise, miss Taeyeon. I am Tiffany, of the fairies.”

 

 

 

 

 

“Taeyeon, one or two?”

 

Taeyeon reoriented her sleepy gaze to the grinning fairy. She jerked her head to the side once, easily breaking the enchantment, and returned to staring at her friend. She stuck her tongue out briefly, wetting her chapped lips, then brought the cup of tea to her lips. When she had her fill she replaced the cup on the saucer and tucked her chin to her chest to hide her yawn.

 

“What is it about?” she asked, forcing her eyelids from closing. She spotted the familiar face of the morning shift’s busboy and jerked her head as a hello.

 

“Why don’t you find out? One or two?”

 

Taeyeon tucked in her chin again, managing to answer before the end of her yawn “One.”

 

Tiffany nodded. “Okay, do you like Jessica?”

 

Taeyeon’s head snapped up, all traces of her sleep chased away at the absurdity of the question. “I’m sorry what?”

 

“Do you like Jessica?”

 

“W-hat?” Taeyeon sputtered and laughed at the same time. She turned an incredulous look to Tiffany. “Where did you get that idea from?”

 

“I don’t know. I just thought you both were a little… comfortable around each other.”

 

Taeyeon shook her head vigorously. “No. No way. Uh-uh. No offence to Jessica, but she’s a little too.. intense for me.”

 

“Oh, then what about Yuri?”

 

“Definitely not. I’m already living with her so I know how she gets. That girl is just too...” She scrunched her nose at the memories of Yuri’s random thoughts. The early morning habits that left Taeyeon bewildered as to where she tapped the extra energy from. And the fights. There were days where she had to plead with the witch to talk to her roommate again just to make the endless self-ranting stop. “too much sometimes.”

 

“Well, don’t you have someone you like?”

 

“Like? Well, I like you guys.”

 

“No, I mean… you know, someone you’d like to be with?”

 

Taeyeon blinked. Tiffany smiled patiently at her. “Like a partner.”

 

Her eyes widened in comprehension. “Oh… I- never really thought of it… Why do you ask?”

 

Tiffany nodded her head and hummed. “Finish your tea Taeyeon.”

 

 

 

 

 

“One or two?”

 

Taeyeon lifted her head from her palm, tuning out Yuri’s chatter to stare at the fairy on her other side. One of her brows arched in question as she turned her back from the duo falling into a hissy sort of argument about pizza toppings.

 

“Do you realise you asked that a lot?”

 

Tiffany grinned, shrugging her shoulders. “One or two?”

 

“Uh… I’ve always gone for one…” she muttered, lifting her curious gaze back to Tiffany’s twinkling eyes. “I think I’ll go for two this time.”

 

Tiffany pursed her lips, her eyes lifting up as if to put in a little more thought to her question. “Taeyeon, can you please lean in a little closer.” She asked politely, wagging two fingers to motion for her to close the distance. Taeyeon complied, albeit feeling a little suspicious. The chattering from the duo had subsided, and Taeyeon could already imagine Yuri huffing in defeat while Jessica bathed in her glory of winning, again. She rolled her eyes, knowing Yuri gave way for Jessica as her means of preventing their argument from escalating.

 

“So what do you-“ a quick peck to the side of her cheek halted her train of thought. Still leaning her body over the counter she twisted her head to the smiling Tiffany, hanging ajar.

 

Heat started to pool under her collar and she had to mentally remind herself to lower back to the ground. One hand came up to touch her cheek, the spot still tingling from the innocent kiss. She felt a hand lift her jaws back to close and she turned to shoot a dumbfounded look to the smirking Jessica. The witch doesn’t say anything, simply shifted her knowing gaze to the smiling fairy before turning her back and hurrying the werewolf away.

 

“Wha-what was that?” she asked soon after she found her voice.

 

“Option two, kiss Taeyeon’s cheek.”

 

“W-what was option one?”

 

Tiffany’s lips quirked to a sly smile as she took a step back.“Give Taeyeon a big hug.”

 

Taeyeon quickly pushed off the counter and straightened up. “Can I have that one too?” she asked, expectantly opening her arms as if the fairy could jump over the front counter and squeeze a hug out of her. If she did, Taeyeon wouldn’t mind.

 

Tiffany giggled and shook her head.

 

“Don’t be greedy.”

 

“I’m not greedy. I just want a hug. It’s cold.”

 

“You’re kind of sweating.” Tiffany pointed out.

 

“I am? I don’t feel it.” Taeyeon wrapped her arms around her, pretending to rub her arms to stave off the cold. “See, I’m cold.” She grinned mischievously.

 

“Dork.” Tiffany grinned, turning to follow her friends.

 

 

A/N: A one, two a one more makes three. We gonna teach everybody how to mc!