Little One

On The Other Side

Yuri’s face scrunched at foul stench attacking her nose.

 

It was not as bad as the ones she had to deal with back at her workplace. Maybe her nose had been slightly desensitized after a couple of months of constantly being introduced to the stench. Everyone had told her she’d get used to it sooner or later, it was only natural after all.

 

Fortunately for them, not everyone had heightened senses like she has.

 

Taeyeon was the only who understood her plight. She took one look at her, an unreadable expression on her face the moment she started the process and let the overpowering smell lose. She had lasted about 5 seconds before she said a silent apology and well wishes for the next few years for her before scurrying from the room, slamming the door close after her. Yuri had silently swore after her retreating back. So much for being there for friends.

 

Jessica’s reaction to her consistent whining was to roll her eyes and tell her to it up. Easy for her to say when she could simply magic her way through the whole process, not even needing to be in the same room. She was basically cheating, and Yuri told her as much. At the end of the day, she was banished from their room for the rest of the evening. And just to be extra cruel, she had cast a silencing spell on Yuri in that everything she said or did was muted. It had been the most excruciating night she had ever stayed awake through. The silence was deafening and she would not wish it on anyone else.

 

The next morning, after being free from the spell, she had sworn up and down never to call Jessica as such and promised to never be vocal of her discomfort of the task. She was rewarded with a kiss on her cheek and a pat on the head.

 

That was how she realised the best way to go at the task was to take a deep breath and hold it in as she went about the work. The smell still lingered, but it was not as bad. The lavender scent from the diffuser she bought certainly helped ease her discomfort somewhat.

 

Finishing the task she let an exaggerated breath out, making it a point to breathe through for the next few seconds. She carefully balled up the refuse and hastily chucked it down the rubbish bin, thank God they had the presence of mind to choose the one with the cover.

 

“The things I do for love.” She rolled her neck until a soft crick was heard and she sighed.

 

A soft giggle had her pouting at the small one laughing at her. A smile instantly lifts her tired features as she carefully cradled the little one to her chest, poking the chubby cheeks as she went.

 

“You shouldn’t be laughing at me, little girl. Your poop smells worse than a century old rotting flesh of the Egyptians. I have to change your nappy every time, you know.”

 

The baby looks up at her silently, big brown eyes unwavering as she chewed on her thumb. Yuri chuckled, easing the thumb from the baby’s gummy mouth. “You shouldn’t put random things in your mouth. It’s unsanitary you know? Why am I saying this to you? You don’t even understand a thing I’m saying.”

 

The baby scrunches her face, opening her gummy mouth to shove in three of her fingers into her awaiting mouth. Somehow she still manages to smile at Yuri. The older woman chuckles, pulling the baby’s hand and began drying it with the soft cloth that’s been a regular, perching on her shoulder.

 

“Didn’t I just tell you not to do that? Now where’d mommy put your binky?” she muttered, looking around the living room.

 

Once again, the little one stuck her fingers into , happily gurgling as she did. Her big brown eyes continued to stare at Yuri’s face, imprinting in her developing mind that this person was a caregiver, someone at her beck and call. This person was safety and security and she made all the bad feeling go away. She lifted her slobber coated fingers, trying to reach for Yuri’s cheek. When her reach fell short she scrunched her face, lips pulling in an ugly frown and she did what she did best, wailed.

 

Yuri jumped, immediately lifting the little girl to an upright position, pressing the baby’s cheek to her shoulder as she cooed softly into her ears, gently bouncing her as she did. Gradually, the wailing subsides, the little one opting to grab a fistful of Yuri’s hair as she stared at the new presence in the room. The nutrient giver.

 

“Not bad, Kwon. She only cried for about half a minute.” Yuri turned at the voice, her shoulders slumping wearily.

 

“Hey.” Yuri managed to force up a grin.

 

“Hey yourself.” Jessica returned, still leaning against the doorway to her room, arms loosely crossed over her stomach.

 

They stood on their spot, silently scrutinizing one another, barely any movement aside from the gurgling little one in Yuri’s arms. Yuri was the first to break eye contact, reorienting her hold on the baby after she felt her beginning to slip.

 

“Where’d you put her binky? She’s been relentlessly chewing on her fingers. It’s not good for her little tummy wummy.” She ended with cooing at the little girl, rubbing her nose against a soft, rosy cheek.

 

Jessica uncrossed her arms, languidly making her way towards Yuri. She reached up to caress the side of Yuri’s cheek, the werewolf sighing and leaning into the touch. “I think you need to rest.” She reached for the binky dangling at Yuri’s side, unclipping the small safety pin attached to the baby’s jumper.

 

“I’m fine. I’ve showered and changed too, no germs from me.” Yuri weakly retaliated, trailing after her as the witch made for the kitchen.

 

A flick of her fingers and the kitchen came to life. The electric kettle began to rumble lowly as the water began to boil. One of the lower cabinets pulled open and a soup bowl gently floated from up from it, landing noiselessly on the countertop. Jessica opened her hand, the binky levitating off her palm and languidly flying over to the empty bowl. Magicking may be seen as cheating, but what was the point of having magical abilities if one couldn’t use it. Jessica was simply using her abilities to her advantage.

 

She turned to Yuri, opening her arms for the little one. Yuri relents, passing the giggling girl back to her mommy before making her way to the nearest chair and slumping on it like a sack of boneless skin.

 

Jessica giggled. “Take a nap, Yuri. I’ve already ordered take out. Dinner will be ready soon.”

 

“Lemme guess. Chinese?”

 

Jessica smirked. “Unless you want another helping of kimchi fried rice.” Yuri lazily waved a hand. As much as she likes kimchi, having kimchi fried rice for 5 consecutive days was absurd. Unfortunately, aside from tuna sandwich, it was the only thing Jessica knew how to make properly. And they were out of tuna. Yuri checked. “So, Kwon, are you regretting getting stuck with me?”

 

“No.” Yuri sighed at the no brainer question, rubbing her eyes tiredly. She still wanted to live.

 

Her hand fell to her lap and she looked at the sight of the witch cooing at their babbling daughter. Her chest warmed at the magical sight, her mind putting this picturesque moment alongside the memories she held dear. “But getting stuck with you is the best thing that has ever happened to me.”

 

A/N: Just a little something. ;)