Dominance

On The Other Side

Taeyeon cocked her head to one side, brows drawing together in curiosity as she tried to stare down the pair of equally curious brown eyes peering right up at her. Even as her eyes begins to sting she refuses to let them shut, too proud to admit defeat in the face of adversity.

 

Adversity, in this case, in the form of her cubby cheeked baby girl.

 

“Bah!” Seohyun stuck her index finger into , kept it there long enough to properly coat her finger with saliva. Taking her sufficiently lubricated fingers out of she offers the spit coated hand to her mother. A cute toothless smile accompanies the baby’s giggle when Taeyeon’s hand fully covers her small ones, a dry cloth at the ready to wipe away the spit.

 

“Oh, you sweet little thing.” Taeyeon coos, reaching to gently run the cloth over the trace of drool dribbling down her chin. She then picks the girl up into her arms, chuckling when the little one began animatedly bouncing against her, using her shoulder as a balance. “How do you have so much energy? What does your mother feed you?”

 

“Bah da pttu boh..” Seohyun replies, hiccupping soon after followed by another round of random noises periodically halted by hiccups.

 

“Mmmh.. you definitely got your energy from your mother.” She makes a downward flick at the button nose, Seohyun jumping in surprise and momentarily halting her babble to stare wide-eyed at her mother.

 

“What? It’s not like it’s the first time I poked your nose.” Taeyeon grins, bouncing the girl out of her silent state. A toothless grin soon pulls at the baby’s face and a high pitch giggle blends into the chatter around them.

 

“Oh! That should be from me right? No wait.. your mom’s loud too…” Taeyeon purses her lips in thought, her eyes flicking to the other mother standing at the front of the café making an order for them. She looks over her baby again, smiling at the little darling’s every action.

 

Taeyeon’s been taking note of the behaviours of children, mostly Yoona before Seohyun was born. She knew they tended to make nonsensical noises, but she hadn’t come by any child that can be as loud as her baby is. Maybe she was making a big deal out of nothing, but Seohyun sounds like she’s got some power in terms of her vocal capacity. She certainly is a lot more vocal than Yoona even with the , disregarding the senseless babble that only the babies seem to understand. Now, she wasn’t particularly vocal herself, but she knew she has a powerful voice hidden deep within her. Being(having been) a large dragon she definitely had both the lung capacity and the required muscles for it.. but the real question is: are fairies naturally loud as Tiffany can be?

 

“I got you your favourite~” Tiffany sing-sang as she arrives at their table. She leans down to brush her nose against Seohyun’s when the baby vies for her attention, ending the sweet mother-daughter moment by showering quick butterfly kisses all over the giggling baby’s face.

 

“Hey, Ppany, are the rest of your side naturally loud?”

 

Tiffany pauses and looks up from pulling out her chair, giving her preoccupied partner a perplexed look as she runs the question again through her mind. “What kind of question is that Kim Taeyeon?”

 

“It’s a question that shouldn’t be answered with another question.” Taeyeon replies monotonously as she distractedly fixes the thin strands of hair barely covering the fragile head of the babe. “Are your side of the.. family loud, or is that just you?”

 

Tiffany plops down on the chair, pouting at the direct attack to her inherent loudness (and her usual disregard for using the “inside voice”). “Don’t be rude Taeyeon. You’re teaching our baby wrong things.”

 

Taeyeon pouts down at the ignorant baby, who by now had somehow folded her small torso all the way down so she could nibble on the toes of her onesie. “You don’t even know what we’re talking about, right Seohyunnie.” She tells her in a softer voice, gently running a hand own the small back, only returning to her normal volume when she speaks to Tiffany. “I’m serious. Is your side loud?”

 

“Why the question? And no… actually, yeah, a little bit. We’re just the jovial kind.”

 

“Ugh… so it’s more your thing.” Taeyeon groans, gently placing her forehead over the softer surface of the baby’s back. Seohyun doesn’t seem to mind as she continues chewing on her toes.

 

“What are you going on about?”

 

“Well, it’s just that Yoona’s showing more of Yuri’s side of the gene pool. So obviously, she’s growing up to be like Yuri.”

 

“Oh, yeah. Poor Jessica, she’s going to have two troublemakers to try to control…”

 

“Point is… I was wondering which one of our gene’s more dominant.” She lifts Seohyun by her armpits, the baby happily clapping her hand in response as she’s fixed on the table in a better sitting position. “She’s not afraid of heights. But that’s both our strong points… hmm.. She likes munching on anything..”

 

“I think that’s more of a baby thing though.”

 

“Okay, but she likes picking up shiny things too!”

 

“Well, if I see something shiny, I’d pick it up too.”

 

“No. That’s my thing!”

 

“Taeyeon, honey, your side of the family aren’t the only ones interested in shiny things. Now, if she starts hording then I’m sure we’ve got a little spitfire in our hands. We’ll know for sure in the future. But for now, let’s just enjoy the little one figure her way around the world.” Tiffany imparts sagely, reaching to gently brush her hand down the distracted baby’s head.

 

Taeyeon breaths heavily through her nose, cricking them in mild annoyance. Not knowing about it was eating her up. She wanted to know where the baby was more inclined to fall into, so she could better prepare for it. If the little girl took on more of her side, no lie, Taeyeon would be through the roof happy to have a ‘little spitfire’ to rear. But if she falls more into the fairy side Taeyeon would still do her darnest to make sure the little girl knew how to control herself. Call her impatient but she just wanted to know so badly.

 

She’s pulled out of her musings when Seohyun decides her face was the best thing to play with at the moment and reached to place her small hands over Taeyeon’s cheeks, giving small slaps against the soft flesh. She smiles at the act, taking the slaps like it’s nothing, even crinkles her nose and rubs her face into the small hands, much to Seohyun’s delight.

 

It takes just a split second, when Taeyeon takes her eyes off her to make sure the baby’s far enough away from the edges and Tiffany semi-assisting(directing) the young waiter who had arrived with their order, when young Seohyun decides to do what babies do best. Leaning forward she opens , and without a second’s hesitation, latches onto Taeyeon’s chin and begins ling.

 

Taeyeon gasps, slightly pulling her face back in response until she realises the baby was still attached to her face and goes completely still. Tiffany crackles at the sight, pushing all the way back she nearly hits the poor waiter who was torn between laughing and keeping professional and ends up with a slightly pained expression.

 

Taeyeon looks desperately to Tiffany for help, only to whine a moment later when the fairy frantically pulls her phone out to take a memorial video of the duo. She was still snickering as she moves out of her chair to get a better angle, Seohyun too engrossed at what she’s doing to pay attention to what was going around her.

 

“Oh God! I can’t wait to show this to her when she’s all grown up.” Taeyeon groans for her.