The Witching Hour

On The Other Side

“Do you think every evil genius has a secret fridge full of Nutella?” Yuri mussed loudly. Her bushy dark grey tail was swinging rapidly at the thought, sending the few fliers on the counter top flying in all direction.

 

Taeyeon sighed at overly eager werewolf adding additional work for her. She wondered again if coming down from her home to “mingle” and “educate herself about the modern world” was such a good idea. To be honest, she didn’t like her human body. It was weak, unable to withstand situations that even a sixth of what her normal body could. Not only that, she needed clothes to protect herself from the cold air and erted eyes.

 

Then she needed to work to pay for her rent just to stay in a small apartment space she shared with Yuri, which by the way neither one of them really owned. Sometimes she missed her cool cave deep in the forest, without the constant roaring of the recent invention called motor vehicles going to and fro the streets.

 

“Yuri. Tail.” She jabbed a finger at the furry appendage in question.

 

Yuri looked to her backside, greeting her swishing tail with a wide grin. “I know! It’s fabulous isn’t it?”

 

“No. I mean hide it.”

 

Yuri rolls her eyes, tail still wagging. “It’s half past 2 in the morning. Besides, if a non-magic comes by and sees my tail I can have Sica erase their memory.” She snaps her fingers. “It’ll be like nothing happened.”

 

“You’re abusing her powers.”

 

“I’m not. I’m just taking advantage of her gift.”

 

“Well, she’s not here, so.. tail, begone.” She said, sarcastically addressing the tail Yuri oh so adored.

 

“Fine.” Yuri grumbles, wildly throwing her hands over her head. “Party pooper.” She adds in a whisper.

 

“I heard that.”

 

Yuri doesn’t even look at Taeyeon. “I was counting on it.”

 

A customer, seated at the far end of the café, catches Taeyeon’s attention. She gives Yuri a look of warning as she walks around the counter, only taking her eyes off her when Yuri’s tail shrinks and disappears out of sight. Fortunately, the patrons of the café were disguised magical beings and no one bats an eye at the werewolf.

 

The café she works in served to both the normal, non-magical folk and the supernatural. The owner was the daughter of a human father and a fae mother. Once she realized the supressed magic she possessed she set up shop, catering to both worlds with the normal folks' none the wiser. The minor warding spell she set to routinely activate by 1 AM made sure of that. Though, sometimes a few stray non-magic folk do stumble into the café, hence the continuous disguise.

 

Fortunately for Taeyeon, the evening she first steps foot into the café was the day the night shift barista quit in a spectacle of hellfire. Literally. The flustered owner was more than happy to receive Taeyeon’s resume and train her, hiring her on the spot.

 

Taeyeon smiles at the deft way her hands worked on the machine. The first time she shifted into human form and merged with the general population she found the need for her fingers to change according to the object she was holding a laborious task. In her old form, there was no need to grab things with her hands when she could literally get anything she needed with .

 

Another thing she noted was that the downside to shifting human was that all of her senses were also downsized. Her senses were still good enough to keep her on the alert, but they were, at best, muted. In a way, it was good in the place of modern society where everything was flashy. Various people masked their natural scent with overpowering smells they called perfume, sometimes even reaching the point of triggering her gag reflex; she didn’t want to imagine what would have happened if her nose was at its peak.

 

And the noise. Everything was just so God damned loud.

 

The loud slamming of the front door jolted Taeyeon from her thoughts. She hissed a few choice words at the hot milk spilling onto her humanized skin and quickly shut off the wand, mindlessly patting her stinging, sticky hand onto her apron.

 

The newcomer marches directly to the front counter, a dark scowl in place. She ignores the cheerful greeting and outstretched arms of the werewolf and slams a hand on the counter.

 

“Charger.” She demands.

 

Taeyeon gives her a patient smile. “Why, hello to you too Jessica, lovely to see you this fine evening.”

 

Jessica’s eyes narrow at her. “I’ve got deadlines I need to meet, and the imbeciles I work with decided to up and leave all their unfinished work to me because, like all the other fairies, they had to leave before the witching hour. This is not a fine evening.”

 

“Why? What’s happening?” Yuri asked.

 

“All I know is that my phone is dead and those weirdos were saying something about a queen, but that’s not important. Taeyeon. Charger. Right. Now.”

 

Taeyeon reaches down the counter, pulling a white cable underneath and passing it to Jessica’s open palm. Jessica wastes no time in plugging her cellular device. The phone lights up and a tinkling chime brighten the witch’s expression.

 

“Finally!” She whoops, eagerly awaiting her phone to start up.

 

“So, you were saying something about a queen?”

 

“Shush. Give me a sec.” Jessica says, bringing a finger up to Yuri’s face. The werewolf scrunches her nose at the action but complies anyway, glaring balefully at the witch, which was ignored.

 

Taeyeon doesn’t push the subject any further and goes to start up the witch’s preferred drink. Jessica looked like she needed it. Finishing the interrupted coffee Taeyeon skittered to the waiting customer, giving the elf a practiced smile before going back to the machine for her next coffee.

 

Just as she placed the glass of latte in front of the witch Jessica finally tore her eyes from her phone screen. Her hands closed around the glass, something Taeyeon noticed was something of a ritual the witch did every time she received her coffee as if to draw the heat into herself.

 

“So. About the queen?” Yuri opened up again. Taeyeon shakes her head at her. Being a werewolf one would think Yuri would be a little less sociable. She was the complete opposite, thriving on companionship and not one to let go of a matter easily.

 

Jessica rolls her eyes. “What about it?”

 

“Oh come on! You can’t just suddenly drop a bomb shell like that and leave out information. That’s totally not fair.”

 

“Do you want me to change you into a lapdog again?”

 

Yuri flinched, taking a wide step back. “You wouldn’t dare.”

 

Jessica reached for the wand she kept securely at her hip. A small squeak sounded from Yuri and Taeyeon had to restrain herself from laughing out loud at the subdued werewolf. The last time the werewolf infuriated the tired witch she was turned into a small, defenceless Pomeranian for almost two days. Taeyeon had to call her as she had completely forgotten about the curse she had cast.

 

“I would appreciate it if you don’t, unless you’re willing to look after her.” Taeyeon comments drily. Jessica peers at her from behind her cup, changing her gaze over to the sulking Yuri, and nodded her head.

 

“The fae queen is in town, or so rumours say. The fairies are going absolutely bat--crazy about it, chattering non-stop, even forgetting their work. It’s annoying and it’s draining every bit of my patience and energy.” She downed the rest of her hot drink. Yuri winces at the side, further shrinking to herself, while Taeyeon looks on, impressed.

 

“Keep them coming.” Jessica grunts, pushing the empty glass to Taeyeon before returning to the phone.

 

The three friends chat on as the night continues. Jessica’s mood significantly lightens after her second cup of coffee. It was only then that Yuri deems her safe enough to approach and even displays her bushy tail and wolf ears. Taeyeon rolls her eyes at the ridiculousness.

 

It was just as the witching hour began that a newcomer enters the café. It was a girl, struggling to unwind the red wool scarf from her neck. She was unfamiliar, Taeyeon thought as she scrutinised the woman top to bottom. Her thoughts were proven right when Yuri’s wolfish extras vanish from sight, alerted at the new scent.

 

“Good evening to you.” Taeyeon calls out, pleasantly, putting on her most charming smile.

 

The girl ceases her struggles just long enough send her own muffled greeting, and began pulling down the middle, finally freeing her face. She grins triumphantly, briskly walking down to the front counter where Yuri steps to the side to give her space. She smiles thankfully at Yuri, her eyes curving upwards into happy crescents, momentarily stunning Taeyeon on the other end. They were more stunning than Yuri’s, she thought idly.

 

“Whew! I thought I would never get out of that scarf. It’s a lot more suffocating than I thought.” The girl says.

 

“Yeah. I hate wearing one of those, gets stuck everywhere and blows off when the wind picks up. Not very good for protecting our necks.” Yuri agrees. Jessica rolls her eyes at them.

 

“That’s because you just let it hang around your neck, expecting it to tie itself on its own.” Yuri growls under her breath, flinching when Jessica’s narrowed eyes peer at her above her smartphone.

 

“Don’t mind them.” Taeyeon cut in at the curious look the new girl was passing her two friends. “They’re almost always like that. Just harmless fun. Anyway, what can I get you?”

 

The newcomer pauses, fixing her gaze at the board above Taeyeon’s head. She silently mouths the words, her eyes jumping from one side to the other. The sight reminded Taeyeon of a hyperactive human child pointing and reading the few words that they could identify. Finally, the girl tore her eyes from the board, smiling broadly.

 

“I’ll have a cup of tea.”

 

“Uh…” Taeyeon glanced back to the row of tea boxes arranged on the shelf based on popularity. “Which one?”

 

“Hm.. surprise me.” The girl chirped.

 

Taeyeon nodded, surreptitiously running her eyes over the new girl. Perky, friendly, and she held a sort of innocence around her. Something light would suit her just right. “How about Japanese Lime Tea? It’s quite refreshing and fragrant.” And it was the café’s top 3 and the safest bet.

 

“That’ll be perfect!” She chirped. Taeyeon smiles at her, inputting the order and receiving the amount.

 

“Great. If you can find a seat, I’ll take it to you in a moment.”

 

“Oh, erm…” she took a quick cursory glance around the room. “would you mind if I stick around here?”

 

“No, we don’t!” Yuri answered for them. Neither Taeyeon or Jessica batted an eye at her enthusiasm, already used to her boundless energy. Tiffany’s lips parted to reveal a set of pearly whites, her eyes crinkling into crescents. Again, Taeyeon felt her breath leaving her. She blinks rapidly a few times, dispelling the enchantment she had fallen under.

 

A witch? She eyes the girl warily. Now, why would a witch leave a charm enchantment on her, burning out her mana, yet actively try to avoid everyone else?

 

Taeyeon shakes the thought out of her head, throwing her attention to the task at hand. It shouldn’t matter to her what others did, so long as they didn’t cross her. It has what kept her unbothered for years in her cave. Why should she change her thoughts now?

 

“What are you?” A few loose tea leaves spill over the pot she was preparing. Taeyeon shoots Jessica an incredulous look. The girl was just too blunt at times. She glances over to the nameless girl, noting the raised brows and the amused glint in her eyes.

 

“You noticed.”

 

“Only a lesser being wouldn’t.” Jessica scoffs.

 

Their eyes fall on the silent Yuri, the glazed look in her eyes and her slackened posture as she stared at the new girl giving her away. Softly muttering under her breath Jessica reached over to slap the enchanted werewolf atop her head, effectively breaking the spell. Yuri blinked owlishly at Tiffany, a hand coming up to rub the spot Jessica slapped.

 

“You have a charm on?”

 

Jessica rolls her eyes. “Keen observation, Sherlock.”

 

“And here, I thought I would have to fool you folks and make my escape.” The girl giggled, her voice stirring something in the depths of Taeyeon’s chest. She clenched her jaws, mentally cursing herself for falling for such a simple trick, never mind that she had easily broken out of it.

 

“This isn’t a normal café, if you haven’t noticed yet.” Taeyeon said calmly, gently placing the ceramic cup and small steel pot in front of the girl.

 

“Oh, I know. One of two in this city. A friend of mine sung praises of the magnificent ambience here and has said many things of the good people one can meet.” Her eyes glinted happily as they land on Taeyeon. “I think you may know her. Tall, a very merry character with a hefty appetite.”

 

“If you’re talking about that gluttonous Fae, will you tell her she still owes me for that buffet bill?” Yuri interjected, scowling at the memory.

 

A chiming chuckle was the response she received. “I will.”

 

Another loud slap follows and Taeyeon tears her eyes from the newcomer, watching amusedly at the whimpering werewolf and the crossed witch glaring darkly at her.

 

“I’m sorry. I’m afraid I can’t do anything about the enchantment. Believe me, I’d love to be rid of it. I can do about almost anything, except get rid of this… charm.” Taeyeon snorts at the pun while Yuri lets out a slightly nervous chuckle at the blank look Jessica had on. It takes the witch a few seconds later before a grudging smile cracks her impassive look.

 

“Are you serious when you said that though? Can you really do anything?” Yuri inquired.

 

The girl grinned. She lifted a hand, her long fingers dancing in the air. A few sparkling lights glimmer over the pot of tea. Suddenly it lifts, tilting to pour the yellowish liquid into the cup, slowing to a trickle the higher the water level goes until it stops and the pot is back on the bench.

 

“That’s so cool!” Yuri says in wide eyed awe.

 

“So you can cast a simple party trick. Am I supposed to be impressed?” Jessica says blandly.

 

The girl chuckles good naturedly at the two opposing response she gets.

 

Taeyeon blinks and shakes her head to get rid of the high her mind goes into at the light sound. She needed to be careful around this one. “That is some charm you have on you. Hard not to fall into your enchantment if one is not careful, maybe even harder for you to ward off unwanted attention. You have a lot on your plate miss.”

 

“Tiffany.” Tiffany offers, doing a little curtsy.

 

Jessica rolls her eyes while Yuri blanches, her eyes scouring the place to catch anyone listening in.

 

Taeyeon purses her lips to one side, brows scrunching in slight worry. “Well, miss, you be careful where you throw your name around. Don’t want anything to happen to you now, do we?”

 

“Is that a threat?” she says, cocking her head to the side, not in the least ruffled.

 

Taeyeon’s eyes shifts to the patrons in their respective chairs. “Consider it a friendly warning.”

 

She is charmed again by the toothy grin and the glittering, crescent eyes. “Noted. I’ll be more careful the next time.”

 

Taeyeon lets out a breath, squeezing her eyes shut. She shook her head, turning her back to the three women easing into a light conversation.

 

The Gods help her get through the rest of the night.