Chapter 2

Ageless Dream

 

“You’re just in the way, you know that?” He rolls his eyes. “And you have the guts ‘planning to’ ask me why would I take your fall?” He shifts his footing. He is standing far from the bed that you’re currently lying on.

“I just wanna say thank you.” You hold up your palms, emphasising your sincerity but he clearly doesn’t buy it. You think it might be a little bit more defensive if you come up with a question rather than throwing thanks on every occasion. You at least want to be securing your position as a mortal and not getting any wrong idea.

“Wait, how did you know that?!”

“I can read your mind. I know what you’re thinking. Duh.” His face contours to bored.

You quickly look away from him. Maybe you should avert his eyes so that it would be difficult for him to read your mind.

What does this mean? Then he can read everyone’s mind as he pleases. It is clearly not fair. Are you gonna be the next victim that he would pick on to?

“I can still read your mind even if I don’t look at you in the eyes.”

“Stop reading my mind! You’re terrorizing my privacy!” You shriek. No wonder he can annoy anyone as he literally knows everybody’s weakness and stoop down to play with their feelings. It’s in his nature all along. People born and possessed in the year of Monkey are good at nothing but tricking their friends.

You aren’t really sure what is his possessed animal is, but they say he has none, which is even worse, when they once mentioned that he was reincarnated from a demon who resembled a monkey but much of a hybrid.

“I can’t help it even if you ask me not to. Now you owe me.” He tilts his head as his eyes darkens.

“I don’t owe you anything.” You fire back. At this point you have been starting to hate yourself. Involving yourself with him is much more taboo than marrying an immortal.

“You’re the first mortal girl that I talk to nicely so give me some credit. Hey. How about we play some game?" He starts to walk closer. You just realize that he is wearing a black short that ends about three inches above his knees.

You too realize that the conversation has been dragged on too long. "No I don't want to. Why am I hanging out with you? I should avoid you at all cost."

Woozi’s face is funny when he feigns that. That really doesn’t suit him. "Auch, that's harsh. No I’m sure you'll love it."

"Well I'm sorry Mr I-can-read-your-mind, it's not like you know me since forever." You swat open the comforter off your leg, ready to jump off the bed as you feel a little bit better.

"Are you sure you won't love the idea of hooking with your 'crush'? If I'm not mistaken Vernon is still searching for a partner for Autumn ball at the end of this month."

 

“You're kidding me.”

"Did I pick your interest?" He is now sitting on a small stool by your side, propping his chin on one hand. The way he plays with his eyebrows doesn’t really convince you though.

"I knew it you're just messing with me." Too bad you’re not getting into his little game. You slide closer to the edge of the bed until your pair of Nike touches the tiled floor.

"Wait, wait hold up!" He pads closer to you but you are faster to snatch your backpack and drag your suitcase along.

"I don't have all the time in the world."

"It's true. I swear. He is being picky this year and it's quite annoying when he rejects every girl offer. You know it's kinda get on my nerve that he's slightly more popular than me and you see he looks so bragful-"

Sounds like bullet coming out of his mouth.

"Vernon never brags-"

"Uh shh and I want you to stop that. Just date him for the Autumn ball. Just do whatever in your might to steal his heart and stop girls from going after him anymore. Tone down his popularity and be a good girlfriend."

You throw you head aside, giving him a nasty look. You curl your upper lips in disgust.

"You're nuts. I'd never be able to talk casually to him and what? Dating him? He is so against mortal. So no. A big no"

"But you look like immortal."

"What? Because of this white hair, it feels like a curse to me. They call me names, witch, whatsoever. It ain't make me look immortal but a witch. I have no chance. See.” You turn around and continue walking out of the room.

"Do you want to change your hair colour permanently?"

That makes you halt. Something permanent which lasts forever like an immortal’s lifetime. Something that is plausible to you. It is like a dream that you can’t grasp like how many time you fall asleep again to continue the paused scene but never be able to reach. Never.

You miss to censor of what about to reply next. "You have no idea how much I yearn for it."

Woozi approaches you from behind, draping one arm around your shoulder to a loose embrace. Oh so casually.

He seems different when he smiles like that –like ‘I know what you like’ but he is the same Woozi guy who make fun of others. "I can actually do that for you."

He picks your interest again. He needs to stop doing that, pausing you from going about your business, yet he is a tempting prankster. "Really you can do other thing than mind reading?"

"Oh. I can do a lot more other things, honey."

Slowly you peel off his arm as you feel a bit uncomfortable but you manage to keep the conversation going just like he wishes for. “Other immortals too?”

“Nuh, just me.”

Suddenly he jumps in front of you. Although he is considered short among the other guys, he is still a head taller. You are startled because of the closeness and it’s normal to move a few steps back. He smirks playfully at your antic as if he knows you would react that way. But that isn’t his purpose. “Watch me.”

Just as a gentle breeze accost both of you, he takes s few strands of your white locks. You can’t avert your eyes from watching him closing his eyes as if how he gets more gorgeous up close, at this decent distance, with his sugary white skin against his cute eyelashes. You look away when he finally opens his eyes.

“I thought dark brown would suit you.”

His remark sends you spinning to catch your reflection against the crystal pond’s water. Although the colour can’t be more obvious than how you wish for but your hair seems darker.

“Oh my frickin god! How did you do that? I look normal. I look just like other ordinary mortals.” You grip a fistful of your hair and pull them to the front of your face where your eyes can glimpse.

“You like it?” He is now smiling again, hands interlocked at his back, which is funny because he looks almost angelic.

“I love it woozi! Oh my God…” It is actually the first time you say his name, like spoken so embarrassingly, excitedly loud with ease and friendliness.

However, he seems like he always knows how to rip that happiness off your face. “Too bad, won't stay that long.”

Just like he unintentionally promised, the same fistful of hazel dark brown locks gradually disappears only to be replaced with the original innocent colour. You can’t help but to show that crestfallen face of yours.

“Oh.”

“I only ask u to play this one game. You get him at the end of this month, then I'm gonna grant you this wish. Come on, I saw how dreamy you look when Vernon talked to you just now.”

Now he is back to being the little devil face he wears every day.

“Actually no thanks! You're some craze that I stumble upon today. Thank you for taking care of me and I think my time is coming!”

Although you know he can run after you and make hell out of it, but you gotta act stupid sometime to get rid of such unfortunate situation.

“Where are you going? Hey biatch!” He hollers, but choose to root there as he purse his lips in major contemplation. “Well, she's not normal, might be a hard one this time.