The Things We Could Have Said [Yoongi]

The Things We Should Have Said

"Wait!" Jisoo said, scooting back over to him.  

"Darling, go ahead." he said, his hand automatically finding her elbow.

"Should I go back with you?"

"Don't you have to be on time for the submission?"

"I do, but... it won't take that long, right?"

The need to go on was quite strong, but she also really, really wanted to stay with Yoongi as long as she could. There must be another time to meet the deadline, the office was always open and she had already sent her electronic version, so why would it matter if the hard copy was a little late? But then her night school teacher could be a real douchebag about those things sometimes and it was hard to predict how he would react. Was it really a big deal? She did care about her course, though. Ah, how annoying. Jisoo looked up at Yoongi with her big eyes, unsure of what to do. He smiled back at her before asking:

"Will you stay or go?"

"I'll have to go." she said reluctantly, reshouldering her bag. "Let me just get my card out."

Opening the clasp she looked inside to fish for her purse, instead finding Yoongi's wallet sitting right at the top.

"Oh?" she pulled it out and handed it to him. "Good thing you didn't go back! You would have been looking all day."

"How did that get in there?" he asked, a confused look on his face.

"Didn't you ask me to put it there yesterday when we went shopping?" Jisoo replied.

Yoongi grinned.

"Thank you my darling." he sang, kissing her forehead.

She loved it when he did that, kissing her forehead, patting her hair. She often pretended not to like it, because she liked it when Yoongi would go on to shower her with compliments in order to explain why he couldn't help himself. Her other friends weren't like that at all, according to them being in your twenties meant that you could no longer like cheesy things like that. Head patting? Nope. Holding hands? Nope. Kissing in public? Absolute gigantic no-no. Jisoo thought being barely affectionate towards someone you were engaged to was much more weird. Some of her friends still shoved their boyfriends away and called them erts if they even tried hugging in public.

She didn't get it.

She loved Yoongi more than anything in the world and she always wanted to cuddle and be affectionate with him.

"Lucky I have mine in here, too." Jisoo said, "Although Jennie said she would... oh no."

"What's wrong?" Yoongi asked.

"I forgot Jennie's present! I'm going to have to go back and get it. You go first, honey."

"Alright. I'll see you later. Go quickly!"

Jisoo gave him a quick kiss before dashing away back through the station. She didn't have tons of time to go back and get it but she couldn't turn up empty handed at a baby shower. Jennie was only in Seoul for a couple of days before going back to Busan, so there would be no opportunity to give her the gift later, she had to go back. It all happened so fast with that girl, one moment she was job hunting in Seoul, the next she went back to Busan and then suddenly she's getting married to some lifeguard a year younger than her who knocked her up. He had "saved" her after she went into the knee deep water at Gwanganri beach and fell over in the sand. It was probably more of a courtesy marriage, but at least they had actually dated for a little while before then and he seemed like a sweet enough guy from what Jennie had said. She ought to write his name on the card, if she could remember what it was... Jeong...? No... Jung... No that wasn't it either. Jung Jeong...? Crap.

She'd have to look it up on Facebook later instead of guessing - that could go horribly wrong.

Tossing her bag on the sofa, she dashed to the bedroom and opened her closet, searching around for the gift bag she had packed some weeks before. Where had she put it? Wasn't it on the shelf? Stepping on a chair, she searched through the things at the top of the closet, but found nothing. Her eye caught a gift bag peeking out from under a cardigan that had fallen off a clothes hanger. She hopped down and grabbed the bag, opening it up to remind herself of what she bought.

Though...

She would be needing these things for herself soon enough.

Sitting down on the bed, Jisoo let out a sigh of exasperation. She sure was more tired these days. The baby wouldn't even be very big, the size of a tangerine or... a tomato? She hadn't dared look it up since she found out the day before. The doctor had confirmed it - she was already two months pregnant. Two months out of nine. That sounded like it was already a good chunk of the way through. How big could it possibly be if it was already making her tired quickly? Pulling her phone out of her bag, she quickly searched it up on Naver: 2 months pregnant foetus size.

A raspberry.

It was the size of a raspberry.

Looking inside the bag, she pulled out the pair of little white scratch mittens and tossed them back on the bed. There were plenty of things inside the bag for Jennie's baby.

 

Jisoo's attention was caught as the buzzer to their apartment rang. Who could it be? Did Yoongi come back already? Setting the gift aside, she scooted through the apartment and looked at the intercom camera.

Nope.

Taehyung.

Opening the door, she greeted him warmly as he grinned holding a parcel.

"Is Yoongi in?" he asked.

"No he's out doing errands." Jisoo said, stepping back to let him in.

"Oh, uh..." he trailed suddenly wondering if it would be safe to leave the box in Jisoo's care. Were they that kind of couple? "Do you guys open each other's mail?"

"Usually..."

"Then I'll come back later when Yoongi is in."

"Why what's inside?"

"Nothing." he lied, it now being abundantly clear to anyone watching that it was something very important indeed. "I'll come back later. Hey I'll bring some pizza and soju over!"

"Oh, I can't drink any alco-" Jisoo blurted out, raising a hand to cover .

Taehyung gave her an odd look.

"Are you on a diet or something? You're already pretty skinny, you always drink with us though. Seriously why can't you drink alcohol? I always bring extra for you, you can drink me and Yoongi under the table. Are you sick or something? I mean it's so unlike you to suddenly go off of it, though now I think about the last time we drank together it didn't sit well with you at all, didn't you throw up? That was a bit weird, you never throw up it's like you're pregnant or..."

Taehyung noticed Jisoo's expression.

"No!" he gasped, his eyebrows almost going up into his hairline. He squealed and jumped from foot to foot. "Does Yoongi know yet?"

"He doesn't."

"Oh my God, Jisoo. No, I can't be the first person you tell!"

"You didn't give me a choice, you just kept rambling on!"

Taehyung stepped back with his hands clasped in front of him and cocked his head as he grinned at her. "I'll come back later with this. You ought to tell Yoongi even if you're gonna get rid - you're not getting rid of it are you? , sorry, I didn't even ask how you felt about it!"

Jisoo smiled. "No, I'm keeping it, Tae."

"That's a relief. I'm gonna be an awesome uncle!" he cheered. "Anyways, you tell Yoongi as soon as you can because I will be back later with a congratulatory pizza or two and it's gonna be awkward as hell if I'm the one to spill the beans. I'm away! See you later!"

Jisoo laughed as the blonde haired boy literally skipped away, arms swinging, back down the hall to the elevator. As she closed the door, there was a loud boom in the distance and rain began pouring out of the sky at a hellish rate.

Balls.

She had to go out still.

Picking up her phone, she figured that Taehyung was right - she needed to see Yoongi as soon as possible and tell him. She wondered if she had time between her meetings that day. She found him in her phonebook and rang.

Two rings... three rings... four rings... seven rings...

She hung up.

Huh.

That was weird. He always answered the phone.

She changed into a waterproof coat and dug out their golfing umbrella before grabbing everything she needed, Jennie's gift included, and went back outside. Thankfully it wasn't windy, the rain fell perfectly vertically and she was well protected by the wide brim of the umbrella. She had her hand free and so she called again.

Six rings... eight rings... ten rings...

Hmm.

As she made it to the end of the hill, she turned the corner to see a huge cloud of dust emanating from the subway, people running everywhere, emergency services dashing in and out of the subway carrying injured people. The glass in nearby shops had shattered and workers were gathered outside wearing masks, being herded away by firemen. It was chaotic, people screaming and crying and Jisoo had no idea what to do. She just wanted Yoongi. She had errands to do that day but now something had happened and she didn't know what to do, her mind had gone blank as she watched the drama in front of her unfold.

"Jisoo!"

She turned around to see Taehyung running from the street behind her.

"Are you okay? You can't be here in your state! Come with me, let's go." he said, grabbing her arm.

"But I have errands to do." she said weakly.

"What does that matter?" he replied, leading her far down the street and into the nearest cafe. "Where is Yoongi?"

"I don't know." she whispered, her eyes wide and wet. "I tried calling him but he won't pick up. It just keeps ringing. What do I do, Tae? He always answers his phone, I left him in the subway when I went back to the apartment, what if he's injured? What if he's hurt, Tae? I can't do this by myself, I'm just a dog groomer, I can't be a single mother too!"

"Hey!" he scolded her, grabbing her by the shoulders. "Jisoo you're not thinking straight. This isn't like you. Did he go right into the subway?"

"I think so."

"It takes at least ten minutes to walk to your apartment from the subway." he said, looking at her intently. "So tell me the rest."

Jisoo took a deep breath, her heart still hammering in her chest, stomach twisting and tears in her eyes.

"Um.. it takes ten minutes to get from the subway to the apartment, and I was in the apartment for ten minutes or maybe fifteen before you came so... so, um, that's another fifteen minutes and... twenty-five altogether so... he will already have reached his subway station by the time that happened, whatever that was."

"Right." Taehyung said, only letting his hands go from her shoulders once he had seen her visibly calm down. "Call him again."

Jisoo told him to call.

 

One ring... two rings-

 

"Hello?" Taehyung said. "Where are you?"

Jisoo watched as a frown came over his expression - he looked angry. His jaw was set and his nostrils flared. Why would he be angry?

"Jisoo was worried sick about you."

"Why?"

"There was an explosion at the subway station and we were both scared you had been caught up in it. But it seems like you're absolutely fine."

"Yeah, I'm fine. I'll see you later, yeah?... Wait a minute, I'm on the phone."

Taehyung looked at Jisoo for a moment before rising up and going upstairs into the men's bathroom.

"Look here you er, where the are you right now?" Taehyung hissed into the phone.

"Hey, what's with you?"

"I can ing hear someone in the background!" he spat. "What the is wrong with you? Jisoo and I are out here worried sick because we thought you were injured, but you're at a motel with some woman? You have no idea what kind of hell she's gone through today! She's got so many things to do and people to see not to mention being tired as from being pregnant and you're being a gigantic bastard sleeping around behind her back? How could you do this to her? you!"

"I'm not at a motel, Tae!" Yoongi's voice barked back. "Why are you jumping to conclusions like that? What's wrong with you? I'd never cheat on Jisoo! That woman is my entire world, do you think I'd be so idiotic as to do anything that would risk us breaking up?"

"Then where the hell are you that you didn't ing answer Jisoo's calls but you picked up mine right away?"

"I'm arranging things for the proposal! I'm at the florist arranging her favourite flowers - can't you hear other customers in the background? I'll put you on loudspeaker."

Taehyung listened for a moment. People exchanging money, customer service voices. He could hear conversations about peonies.

Oh.

Yeah.

"I told Jisoo I would be in some important meetings and wouldn't be able to pick up calls so she wouldn't call. I was afraid she would catch on easily if I picked up calls when arranging things. You know she's like Sherlock, she'll figure it out!"

"Well, she was scared less anyway so you need to meet up with her as soon as you can. Luckily for you I calmed her down!"

"Why are you with her?"

"I was going to drop off your damn ring but only Jisoo was in!"

 

Silence.

 

"Tae?"

"What?"

"Did you... did you say Jisoo is pregnant?"

Taehyung's face went pale and he covered his mouth as he realised what he had done. He could hear a squeal in the background on Yoongi's side and a shop staff started blabbering on about bouquets for babies.

Who the hell even made bouquets for babies?

"No! I never said that where would you think-"

"You literally just said it as you blabbered on, do you think I wasn't listening to you while you damn well accused me of cheating on my girlfriend who is now apparently mother of my child?"

"I'm so sorry!" he apologised, squeezing his eyes shut and smacking his fist on his head. "Can you pretend like you don't know? Jisoo accidentally told me this morning and I told her to tell you as soon as possible!"

"You're in trouble the next time I see you."

"Aren't you happy though?" Taehyung asked, trying to turn the mood around. "I'm bringing pizza over later to celebrate! Just tell me whatever kind you want, it's my treat..."

There was a growl on the other end of the line.

"Sweet potato it is! See you later, bro, gotta go now and take of your girlfriend who was scared to death earlier and who you should totally call right now after this so she can stand up for me ha-"

The call ended with a beep.

 

Jisoo gave Taehyung a suspicious look as he sat down in front of her, handing her a hot tea.

Oh he'd done something.

That guilty puppy dog look was plastered over his face.

"What have you-" she started, before getting distracted by her phone ringing.

Yoongi!

She grinned and picked up the phone.

"Where are you right now?"

"Ediya coffee on daehak-ro."

"I'm hopping into a taxi, my love, I'll be there in less than ten minutes I'm not far away."

"Oh, but I have errands to do." she said.

"Just wait a little bit, I'll accompany you after that."

"What has Tae done?" she asked. "Why does he look so guilty sitting in front of me right now?"

Yoongi debated telling her. He didn't want Jisoo to murder his best friend.

Not without him.

"I'll tell you when I get there. Just relax and take it easy..."

"Okay. See you soon!"

Yoongi sat in the back of the taxi, his hand over his mouth in disbelief. What a rollercoaster of emotions. Being accused of cheating... he was a bit taken aback by Taehyung's sudden jump to conclusions. He really was just arranging things at the florist. He would never, in a million years, cheat on Jisoo. And now he was going to be a father? God. He would have been over the moon if he hadn't been insulted first and told without permission. Wasn't Taehyung a bit too quick to jump to her defense? He figured he just cared about her a lot as he got to know her over the years they'd been together.

Taehyung quietly sipped on his caramel macchiato as he waited for the incoming storm. He felt foolish. He had so much respect for Yoongi and looked up to him so much that he just... accused him of cheating? He knew he was too quick to jump to conclusions, but he was terrified that his senior wasn't who he thought he was. And if he actually was right in accusing him, well, then he would have been there for Jisoo. If it turned out to be the worst case, he would be there, because she was someone that he had grown to...

Oh.