The Things We Should Have Said [Taehyung]

The Things We Should Have Said

a/n okay so I've just noticed that this story now has a comment bonus. Really? That's more embarrassing than not having comments. Sorry for the lack of updates, recently moved so didn't have much time. Hopefully I can update regularly! Thanks for reading ^^ HKG xxx

_________________________________________________________________________________________________

Taehyung's heart was beating faster than it had for a while. He wanted to kiss her so badly, but worried if that would be too forward. Maybe he should do the gentlemanly thing and bid her goodnight and go home? Her large eyes looking up at him, her cheeks flushing a little, innocent and shy expression, it took all of his self control not to pounce on her. No, he had better not - why ruin a fun thing? It would be better if he didn't do anything, regardless of what he thought she was trying to tell him with her eyes.

But then again...

"What's your name?" he asked, his voice low and sincere.

The girl smiled up at him, doing nothing to help calm his heartbeat.

"Jennie." she replied. "And you?"

"Taehyung."

"Well, nice to meet you."

"Nice to meet you, too." Taehyung agreed.

The tension was rising again between the two and Taehyung decided he had better say something more before the moment would pass.

"Can I-?" he began, but stopped short because he wasn't sure if it was a stupid question.

"Hmm?"

Taehyung blinked, scratching his neck as he felt a little awkward and shy around her.

"Can I... uh, kiss you?" he said finally, averting his eyes.

He could hear her laugh as he dared not look at her face. It was a dumb question to ask anyway, they didn't even really know each other at all and their only interaction had been through him being obnoxious at the fruit shop - it was absolutely no basis on which to like someone outside of their looks. But still, he would like to kiss her and thought better of just going for it. It was tempting of course, and he rather thought he was showing a lot of self control because he knew guys and other guys would not bother to hold back. Animals they we-

"Sure."

Taehyung's gaze snapped back to her, his mouth gaping.

"You can kiss me." Jennie agreed, her own heart thumping more quickly and heat rising in her cheeks. She did her best not to look away after being so bold.

Taehyung grinned for a moment, not having a clue how to proceed. Kisses usually happened naturally when two people were attracted to each other, as they both knew, so asking and being asked was something new for both of them. Perhaps it broke the tension too much and now neither of them were sure how to proceed. Taehyung could have kicked himself. He shut his eyes for a moment as his brow furrowed and then relaxed and then raised as he suddenly found a pair of soft lips on his. His eyes opened for a second as he looked at her before closing them again, his large hands raising to push her hair back from her face.

He bent over slightly as Jennie came down from standing on her tip-toes. Butterflies were going crazy in both of their tummies, perhaps the innocence behind their attraction that led to that kiss was making it all the more satisfying. Taehyung had never really had that kind of kiss before, something memorable and something that evoked real excitement.

Yes, it was her.

*    *    *

Taehyung ran as fast as he could down the street. He was late, very late, oh Jesus Christ, he was late. He was supposed to meet Jennie for their fifth date and had accidentally slept in. He knew she wouldn't mind because she was kind hearted, but he felt bad - he sure didn't like being kept late and didn't imagine anyone else did either.

The two had started dating not long after their first kiss, one week later. Jennie was initially uneasy about dating since it was such a short time since she had broken up with her ex-boyfriend, but ultimately decided that it would be good for her and she was much happier than before. She had only been with her ex for a few months, but already she was seeing huge differences between the two guys. With Taehyung, she felt, was how relationships were supposed to be. Easygoing, respectful rather than never being able to tell where you really stood, enduring standoffish behaviour... her ex-boyfriend could be charming, but generally a gigantic .

She was glad to be rid of him.

Taehyung was unbelievably kind to her, to the point that she was almost suspicious of his behaviour, but not once had he shown ulterior motives for his behaviour.

Waiting outside of the cafe, Jennie's head whipped round as she heard loud thumping footsteps behind her and spotted Taehyung wearing a denim jacket and black jeans, hands on his knees as he stopped at the top of the hill to rest, totally out of breath. He managed to smile and raise a hand to wave at his girlfriend. He recovered after a moment and headed down the hill, shouting apologies to Jennie, eventually reaching her and pulling her into his arms, his tall frame towering over her, planting a kiss on her forehead.

"Let's go inside." she said, still finding his forehead kisses something to blush over.

"Aren't you mad at me?" he asked, jerking his head to get the hair out of his eyes.

"No." she smiled, her simple blue dress and white t-shirt combo really showing off her skin.

The pair ordered coffees and honey bread for a snack and chose to sit at a table by the window. The afternoon was winding down and it was getting cooler with autumn fast approaching, the view outside served as the perfect backdrop for their date with the sun getting lower and lower with each passing minute, shining against the water, casting an orange glow over the cafe. Jennie smiled at Taehyung.

"What's up?" he asked through a mouthful of bread.

Jennie shook her head. "Nothing."

"Then why are you smiling?"

"Just because. I'm happy right now. You're here."

"You're happy because of me?"

"Yes."

"Wow. How did I find a girl so easy to please?"

Jennie simply continued smiling, her head cocked to one side as Taehyung tried not to eat all of the bread. He fed some to Jennie, who then sipped from her hot cup of vanilla latte. She stuck her tongue out, trying to get the cream that was on her nose and Taehyung noticed, his eyes widening, worrying that his heart would explode for he had never seen anything so cute in his life. Well, that was an exaggeration; puppies and kittens and baby pandas didn't count, but as far as humans went, she was definitely the cutest. Learning over the table, Taehyung puckered his lips and waited for his girlfriend to notice, which she did a few seconds later. She laughed at him first, but then met him halfway and planted a loud kiss on him.

*    *    *

Jennie pulled the covers up around herself in an attempt to hide her body. Taehyung was washing in the bathroom in their motel room, the hot water gushing over his skin was supposed to be relaxing, but not this time. He scrubbed his skin harshly, trying to get rid of his own frustration as he worried about what they had done. Everything seemed totally fine when they were doing it, but afterwards, Jennie suddenly became shy and curled up. He hadn't noticed until he jumped into the shower, but that wasn't the usual reaction, and so he wondered what was wrong. He made sure she definitely wanted to do it, he had asked her multiple times and she had said yes.

So what was with this sinking feeling in his stomach?

Turning off the shower, he stepped out and dried himself off, putting on a bathrobe for some decency and approached Jennie's side of the bed, sitting down.

"Something's wrong. Tell me." he said softly.

Jennie's large eyes looked at him as she lay in bed, totally wrapped in the duvet.

"Nothing." she whispered. "It's just..."

"Did you have bad experiences before?"

"No."

"Then, did I hurt you?"

Her eyes left his and lowered to stare at the floor. "A little."

"You should have told me, babe!" he sighed. "You didn't say anything when I asked."

"I know, but... I thought it was supposed to."

"No, not at all." he gently put a hand on her side. "Did it always hurt when you did it before?"

Taehyung stood up as Jennie pulled the covers over her head.

"Hey, hey..." he cooed, unsuccessfully trying to tug the covers down. "What's wrong? Was it too personal a question? Sorry. I just thought if it hurt you before then it could be that the guys you were with were total s and didn't give you proper attention, or maybe there's a medical reason. I know it shouldn't be hurting."

"It's not that." came her muffled voice from below the duvet.

"Then what is it? You can tell me."

"I've... I've never done it before."

It took a moment before her words fully hit Taehyung. He threw a hand over his mouth and stood in silent shock for a second. She was a . What kind of did that make him? He couldn't tell at all. . She probably hated him now. Jennie shut her eyes as she lay under the covers, wondering if it was possible to die of embarrassment. Why wasn't he saying anything? Was he still there? Crap, now she ruined everything. Never should have said anything about being a - what better way to drive a guy away than sleep with him and then let him find out he was the first man to stick his inside you? She'd better say something.

Flinging the covers off, she sat up straight and saw that Taehyung had not left. Instead, he was sitting on the floor beside her waiting for her to come out.

"I'm still here." he smiled, though still a little shocked.

"I understand if you want to break up with me." she said.

"Not at all. Don't worry, I'm not going anywhere as long as you don't want to break up with me."

"Why would I?"

"In case you now see me as the who carelessly took your ity."

"No..." she laughed.

Taehyung stood up and climbed into the bed, lying down beside his girlfriend, pulling the covers up for both of them. He pulled her down and wrapped a strong, protective arm around her, kissing her cheek. After a few minutes, Jennie's heart calmed down and her worries began to disappear. She turned around to face him and snuggle into his chest. She wondered for a moment if he also would have cheated on her eventually if she didn't want to sleep with him, but quickly brushed the thought away. No, it wasn't fair to compare him to that . He was his own person and men weren't all the same that way. She felt like it was a lucky strike meeting Taehyung. She never usually took that route, but one day decided to try a new way.

She was very glad that she did.

She had planned to go back to her hometown as job hunting wasn't going that well and she felt bad living with her aunt who asked nothing of her. But then she met Taehyung and her interviews seemed to get better after that, he was just such a calming presence and always made her smile. They celebrated her getting a proper, full time job not too long before.

They had already been together for two months and now she felt a bit silly having waited so long to do it.

"I'm falling for you." Taehyung mumbled, clearly sleepy. "Maybe it's too early to say 'I love you', but I know you're the one for me."

He wrapped his arms around her tighter as she hugged herself closer to him.

"I am too." she agreed. "Thank you for coming into my life."

Taehyung's eyes opened a fraction.

"I thank you, too."