001

Crimson Canine

*Third person’s POV*

Footsteps could be heard thudding right around the corner, heavy breathing of men clad in black trying to catch up petite silhouette of a girl like hungry predator hunting its prey are the only thing that can be heard on that lonely night. The said girl managed to dodge two bullets that almost drilled into her right shoulder, almost losing her balance at the very moment but soon regained her sanity and sped up through the stranded alley.

A man with bulky arms about 6’1 feet tall suddenly appeared out of nowhere and swung his knife on her as a way of greeting. what an move, the girl thought. Thanks to her good reflex, she managed to retract her arms in time and kicked the guy square on his shin which cause him to staggered backward. She threw her fist on him and jabbed him on his rib, eliciting a shrill scream from the latter. Too focus on the freaking giant in front of her, she didn’t realize another bunch of men who are creeping towards her in the back. Not wasting any time, they lunged onto her without any mercy. Being caught off guard, she wasn’t able to avoid the sharp blade heading her way and plunged into her stomach, thrown by one of the men on her right. She hissed on the sudden pain that was getting more and more intense as the blade went halfway through her porcelain skin.

Looking to her left, she spotted an unused wooden bat on the floor, grabbed and flung it to two of her opponents near her. She then kicked her way through to a more spacious path, away from the other men who are still conscious after the little ruckus. She threw herself on one of them, gave him a blow in the chin and snapped his arms in a twisted angle. The latter was then kicked to his comrades, who caught him and wobbled with the additional weight on them. Suddenly, faint police siren could be heard around two block away which gets louder every now and then. The girl took her time to look around her to see two of the men unconscious on the floor, one kneeled while clutching his stomach and the other three standing before her, battered with bruises. Not wanting to raise alert on the police on patrol, the men grimaced and took off but not before glaring at her. “We have eyes everywhere. You ain’t gonna be free”

“Well let’s just see”, she smirked but not for long as she was reminded on her aching belly that almost turned purple from all the strain she put fighting off those creeps and groaned. Ugh. The blade that pierced her delicate skin was nowhere near normal because she can feel the headache forming at the back of her head. Normal metal blade will only cause stinging pain plus dizziness that happens due to loss of blood. Putting aside her pain, she tried to navigate her way around the city and made it her task to find a place to hide.

*

Kai and the boys are heading home after closing the café that they own in town. Chanyeol, Suho and Baekhyun are chatting loudly about the latest episode of Fairly Oddparents, Sehun is listening to his iPod while scrolling through his Twitter, Kyungsoo is making mental note on stuffs he need to buy to make lemon cheesecake tomorrow and Kai is doing basically nothing. He walks in pace with the others, hands shoved in his pockets, looking around lazily at the people around him. He looks up at the sky - reddish as it is nearing dusk, and it sent shivers down his spine because it strangely reminds him of blood.

*

The boys are inches away from their front door when Kai sensed something’s wrong. He sniffs the air to the smell of grass and something metallic like blood with a mixture of something that he did not know. His eyes flash red for a brief moment. The others seemed to sense the weirdness in the air too as they quieten down and become more alert on their surroundings. Before anyone could react, Suho suddenly barks, “The smell comes from that way” and takes off first. The others follow shortly after. None of them change into their wolf form because they don’t know the ‘thing’ that they are going to deal with so they don’t want to risk anything just yet. They reach the clearing where the smell hit them full-force, within minutes without breaking a sweat.

Sehun’s sudden gasp caused them to turn their head at him to see him frozen, staring at something near his feet. Or someone. Sehun is known for his poker face, he rarely shows emotion and yet here he is; jaws slightly open and not moving. This could not be good. Kai’s heart is beating wildly as he inches toward the person. He has seen fair amount of innocent human being killed with his very own eyes but that doesn’t mean that he is not affected by them. It’s a girl, that he knows for sure from her smell and her long black hair, tangled and plastered with dried blood. She’s laying cold on the ground, her body curved slightly, battered with blood and bruises, her face pale and the view is mortifying to say the least.

“She’s still breathing”, Suho said which causes Kyungsoo to let out the breath that he didn’t know he’s been holding. “….but she needs treatment as soon as possible. She’s barely hanging on”. At this, Chanyeol and Kyungsoo quickly scurried toward Suho to help him carry the unconscious lady when Sehun said something that stop all motions,” We should not help her”.

Before Chanyeol could argue, he continued, “She smells different. Who knows what she is capable to do to us?”. His question echoes through the forest as he directs his gaze toward Kai. By now, everyone looks at Kai, waiting for a command. Kai looks at his fellow comrades before shifting his attention to the said girl. Something tells him to believe in his instinct so he did.

“Take her home.”