Ripple effect

Suburbia
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A week goes by. With Hongbin sleeping so very little and discovering just how many entrances that same underground room has and how many times he can be interviewed by the police to answer about Taekwoon's disappearance and lie without being caught.

Working on the Nautilus gave him some training on how to lie to sentinels without being accused of felony.

“Wonshik stop pacing, it's making me nervous.” Hakyeon says from his chair, when once again they wait for Taekwoon to wake up.

Jaehwan has given up on Wonshik about two days ago. “I'm anxious.”

“Yes, we all know.” Hongbin grumbles quietly. “Maybe I should go home. It might look weird if I leave the building at one in the morning again.”

“We all should.” Hakyeon says quietly.

“I'm going nowhere.” Wonshik sounds so very resolute it lodges some annoyance inside Hongbin's guts for some reason. “You guys can go.”

“I really hate how self righteous you make this sound.” Hongbin vents, equally silent, stuffing both hands into his pockets, maybe for warmth maybe so he can press them into fists. “As if you're the only one that gives a .”

“He's all I have Hongbin.” Wonshik doesn't even sound mad, he's more weary if anything.

“You don't have much then.” That was mean, that was unnecessarily mean, but Jaehwan looks more bothered than Wonshik himself is.

“No I really don't.” Wonshik shots back. “But that's none of your business is it… He's none of your business.” By the way his voice sounds he knows more than he lets on and that alone washes off any reminiscent guilt Hongbin might have felt for being mean before.

“And what are you saying now?”

“That you mess with him you mess with me. I hope you remember that.”

“Is this a threat?”

“It's a heads up.”

“Guys.” Hakyeon sighs. “Go home Hongbin you're being a douche.”

“Me? Yeah, okay.”

Jaehwan slams the files over the table. “Get the out of my medical room before I call security. This conversation is over.” He never saw Jaehwan's voice drop this low. “I hate spoiled brats like you. Come back tomorrow I have no more patience for your salt today.”

Throwing his arms up Hongbin gives them all a look. “I can reciprocate.” slamming the door behind him he can hear Hakyeon sigh loudly and Wonshik mumble a half committed you're the one who brought him dude that only serves to further infuriate him.

He is sure he won't be sleeping well that night. Again.

 

~×~

 

In the infirmary, up until late for he has nowhere to go, always using the longest ways out, Wonshik watches Taekwoon sleep, tube into his nose and bluish liquid being steadily transferred to his veins by gravity alone. So many years and no better alternatives were invented.

He touches around Taekwoon's cold hands, listening to the steady drumming of heartbeat. “Wonshik?” Looking up at the door he finds Hakyeon in his jogging clothes, sweaty because probably, he took one of the longest ways in too.

“What time is it?” He rubs both hands against face, eyes red and swollen from the lack of sleep. Hakyeon looks sympathetic if nothing else.

“Recall just ended. I have something like forty five minutes before heading out again, or I'll look suspicious.”

“And why are you here?”

“To remind you to sleep.” Stepping inside Hakyeon's fingers tread softly into Taekwoon's pillow fluffed hair.

“I've been napping throughout the night. It's fine.”

“You have to sleep properly, eat too... and take a bath every once in a while.”

“Just took one… and I think I ate something earlier before Jaehwan left.”<

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter