Assistance

Suburbia
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Hakyeon waits outside as Wonshik and Taekwoon talk in the living room, smoking a cigarette and mulling bitterly over Taekwoon's words.

Hasn't stopped you before.

He deserved that didn't he? He had to hear it to, didn't he?

Looking through the cracked open door he can see Taekwoon on the couch, Wonshik's hand over his shoulder but Taekwoon looks like he is a little pained. “Please don't touch me.” Taekwoon asks, weakly, and Wonshik takes the hand away as if burnt. “Sorry… It makes me uncomfortable.”

“Of course… Hyung–”

“One issue at a time Wonshikkie.” Taekwoon squeezes his hand for a second and Wonshik nods, the frown on his face easing some. “I'm so sorry for making you come in the middle of the night like this.”

“You don't have to. You know you're my best friend.” Wonshik tells him small, sheepish even, and Taekwoon gives him a faint smile of his own.

This Taekwoon with wet lashes makes him think of the Taekwoon he knew in the past, crying alone by the window in the middle of the night, and at times Hakyeon would wake and find the bed empty.

Find Taekwoon curled up on the couch looking at the ceiling, and Hakyeon would say nothing, ask nothing, only hold hold him, rock them softly until Taekwoon's shaky breath evened out and he fell asleep again.

Taekwoon and his fragile insides he undoubtedly shattered even further with his departure… but at the time there wasn't much choice. The Hakyeon from then wasn't strong enough to push down the walls, and Taekwoon… despite being the sweetest boy, glueing I love you stickers on his cheeks instead of saying it out loud, was too much of a three planted into the soil when Hakyeon was a bird.

And at times birds go away, but they always come back. “Taekwoon,” And Taekwoon turns from Wonshik and back at Hakyeon by the door, eyes still blotchy red with puffy cheeks and dark circles under his eyes. “Can I sit?”

“Go ahead.”

So he sits and he brings him into a hug that was uncalled for, chin over his head and rubbing circles on the small of his back. “Cry. I see your fingers shaking… No one is here to force you to talk.”

Taekwoon's breath hitches a little.

“Why would you say that… why would do that it's been ten years Hakyeon.” He chokes a little. “Let us free.”

“I’m sorry… For leaving when you told me to go.” He tells him evenly, and Taekwoon turns into a boneless mass into his arms, sobbing quietly. “I'm sorry for bringing this up now… Sorry for never taking the first step, sorry for being so selfish and not seeing your limitations.”

“Stop.”

“I never thought we weren't worth it, I was… I'm so sorry.” He usually more articulate than this. “I guess I just want to say I'm here, in case you ever need help.”

Taekwoon is crying in earnest now.

Wonshik gives him a look.

But it's fine, he has to get this all off.

They all do.

They have to stop running.

They are not on the Nautilus anymore.


 

~×~



 

Hongbin sits by the door of the subway considering his possibilities, rubbing his eyes on his sleeves with shaky fingers and his lungs tight and on fire, ears ringing, sweaty, tired.

He coul

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter