Steps

Suburbia
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

They are free to go not an hour after everything started, everything feels so rushed and Hakyeon offers him a ride and he thinks he said he has to go to the HQ, he is almost sure he had spoken to Sanghyuk at some point, said he could meet up and work a little more on the genetic resequencing now they are on the surface. He thinks so at least.

“It was pretty brave of you to say that in front of the judge, Hongbin.” Hakyeon tells him, as they both sit on the car.

Hongbin isn't sure of what he said, he knows the content of his phrases but what exactly he said is just beyond him. “What did I say?”

“About knowing your allegiances.” Hakyeon clarifies with a small chuckle. “When he asked why you didn't join the Federation.”

“Oh I… It sounded less aggressive inside my head.”

“I'm really proud of you.”

“Uh… Thanks.” Oh no, please don't let them talk about feelings Jesus Christ. Not now.

“Were you serious about it?”

“About… knowing my allegiances?”

“Yeah.”

“I guess… uh… Yeah.” Again Hakyeon has that parental stare and Hongbin squirms in a similar fashion he has been doing in the last eight years or so. “So… what are you going to do now, boss?”

“Visit Taekwoon in jail, I think. Go home, water my cacti, make lasagna.” It sounds really mundane, mundane in a way suburban lives usually are.

Hongbin is quite familiar with the feeling, but it is still weird to see them all live outside the Nautilus. “And… do they allow visits?”

“I don't think so.” Hakyeon sighs. “Maybe I'll lie and say I'm a distant cousin.” That looks like something Hakyeon would do… He is one to this kind of… irregularities. “I'm worried about him, for a number of reasons.”

“You think… You think something bad will happen?”

“About the trial? No, not really. That's not what I'm worried about.” Hongbin expects him to elaborate but it seems like he's done talking. Considering it's Hakyeon they are talking about, this is not the expected.

“Then… what?”

“Some stuff, from the past.”

“Regarding?”

“Nothing illegal.” his phone rings and Hongbin startles a little, still trying to settle inside his own flesh again. It's hard, he feels his bones thrumming under his skin, like he gets when he uses those caffeine patches but without any caffeine patches… sleeping would be difficult tonight. “Hey, Wonshikkie.”

The panel of the car shows the little icon signaling there's an active call ongoing. “Hey boss, you busy?”

“Taking Hongbin to the HQ, why?”

“Could you drop by that coffee shop downtown later? I have some notes to hand you. Oh, and if you locate Jaehwan, tell him not to get too smashed tonight? I need to ask him about work.”

“Sure. Are you going to the 900th today?”

“Nah, gonna crash on a hotel for tonight. If you guys hear anything about the trial just send me a message.”

“Will do. See you later, Shikkie.”

“Bye boss.”

He had heard it during the trial, that Wonshik was from the 900th. Somehow it didn't suit him, imagining such a mellow guy came from there… Not a day went by without the portable flashing news about the guardian forces going into oppression missions there. They say the air there smells like gunpowder and smoke from the incendiary bombs.

It's a surprise Hakyeon even hired a man from there. People tend to be weary of the 900th zone.

But what does he know? He's just a middle class kid from the 208th.

“I didn't know Wonshik was from the 900th.”

“He doesn't look like it, does he? But his family is from there I think. Really cliche story. Dad died and mom had to get a another job; if I'm not mistaken that's how he met Taekwoon, his mother cleaned up the Jung’s house.” That's unexpected… Somehow when Taekwoon said they were neighbors he was thinking of something different. “He's not really ashamed of it, I'm surprised you didn't heard of it yet.”

“I… don't usually talk to Wonshik.”

 

“He's a good person, better than most if I was to say.” Hakyeon hums at his own words. “Better than me, that's for sure.” Hongbin stays quiet for once, picking at his nails as Hakyeon speaks. “They moved when his mother married again, I think. The guy wasn't that bad

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter