The Blame

Suburbia
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“My head hurts…” Taekwoon complains from the bed, Wonshik looks up from his portable. “Don't you have to work?”

“Called in sick. No one cares about a random 900ths dude. People just assume I'm doing drugs or whatever.” Wonshik yawns quietly. “And about the headache, eat. Don't think I didn't notice you haven't been doing that.”

“Not hungry. Thinking what's gonna happen to all of you if my father figure out you've kidnapped me.” Looking at Wonshik in the couch he sees the man shrug somewhat nonchalantly.

“Nothing too different from what would happen if anyone found about any of this.” Wonshik states matter of factly, the government is not very forgiving when it comes to threason. “At least we can get you on board. We could not tell you about any of it because of all your tracking devices. They would notice something was off.”

“They would.” Taekwoon sighs. “It's odd… not being under the eye of the system. Not being… connected.”

“You'll get used. All of us are pretty analogic.”

“I guess I'll just have to adapt.” Taekwoon sighs. “I can build my own devices too, if given the tools.”

“Well you'll have to talk to Yongguk then, he's the one in charge of any tools.” Wonshik tells him, staring at Taekwoon silently for a few seconds. “Are you okay, hyung?”

“Aside from the headache I'm fine… why?”

“I… was really worried about you.”

“Is that why you look so tired? You haven't been sleeping have you?”

Wonshik looks immediately sheepish about it. “N-No… nothing like that.” He hums softly, eyes down for a second. “Anyway. What about your memory loss… You think you can recover those memories one day?”

“No. Not really… The federation made it so if was to be abducted and any of my equipment was inutilized the failsafe would cleanly erase a few weeks prior to my module installation so no sensitive information would be compromised.” He seems oddly fine with it. With the missing chunks of his memory. “So you said I've been to your ship?”

“The Nautilus, yes.”

“Was it fun?”

“I don't know… you did your thing and I did my thing as always. You know we are both more interested in work than chat.”

“Yeah… sounds like us alright.” Taekwoon chuckles but there's no real humor there. “It's weird… Having you pampering me again after so long. After our breakup.”

“Friendships can have breakups too?” Wonshik asks him somewhat awkwardly. It's true they don't talk about that night years ago and in all honesty after this long… Wonshik's not sure if he wants to acknowledge it even happened in the first place. “That was long ago, I don't think much of it anymore.”

“I do sometimes… I think about many things, but I tend to linger on the ones I wish I could change.” This kind of heartfelt conversation in the dark is making Wonshik squirm slightly, but he won't mention it. Won't say anything actually. “I wish I could have avoided it, so I could keep seeing you as I did before… Trusting in you like I did before.”

“You're making me depressed, hyung…” He crosses and uncrosses his legs, not sure of how not to look uncomfortable into his own skin when he is.

He very much is.

“Sorry I let our friendship go down this path… sorry I let it contaminate me.”  

“I wouldn't deny you the right to feel your things, hyung and despite that I… Shouldn't have gone down that route when I couldn't back up my actions… And treated you right.” Talking about this after so long was a weirdly nostalgic experience, but if he made enough effort he could vividly recall that night.

But he tries not too, or regret would start pooling anew.

“It’s not as much as what you did as it is the time… I was in a really bad place, relieving really bad things and I think… maybe at the time I felt like I've been used, betrayed… I know that's not you but every time I smell your cologne it reminds me of

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter