Not Scared

Suburbia
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

“I can't explain. I'm not good explaining things.” Taekwoon says, apologetic as they gather in the main lab, surrounded by computers with an antique look and cameras watching the entrances.

Yongguk doesn't answer. He makes a gesture. “Someone get me a portable and a pencil.” 

Both things are provided quite easily and Yongguk immediately hands them to Taekwoon. “Show me the code.” And Taekwoon despite his initial clumsiness with words, takes the portable without any hesitation, scribbling over the white screen in a rushed manner. The traces being shown on the big screen the portable is connected to. Hakyeon watches as the scowl on Yongguk's face turns into an expression of comprehension, a light spoken oh falling of his lips. “That's clever… that's really clever.” 

Junhong peeks from across the room and unlike Yongguk he makes claps his hands together. “Woah, that's cool!”

Hakyeon is no programmer, he needs explanations. “Translate Yongguk.” 

It takes awhile for Yongguk to take his eyes away from the monitor. “I need you to pay attention, this is a little complex but also very simple.” Hakyeon hums, arms crossed. “Imagine a castle of cards okay, a simple system composed of 7 cards total; four at the bottom, one as base and two at the top. Okay?”

“Okay.”

“Now imagine this assortment of cards is composed by two aces, one queen, one seven, one three, one five and one nine in their respective colors. Okay?”

“Right.”

“If you're​ careful, you can maybe write things on the cards without causing the castle to fall, but if you try to move any of the bases, it will immediately collapse. You can only ever touch the top. The system is the same, if you try to move, change or export anything it will crash, destroy itself and activate the alarms immediately.” He explains quietly and Taekwoon nods at his words. Yongguk speaks evenly, giving Taekwoon the time to interrupt if he finds necessary.

“Destroy itself? But them how can they preserve​ the data?” Hakyeon frowns and Yongguk snaps his fingers, that broad gummy smile that makes him look silly etched across his face.

“That's the clever part. You see, remember those cards I told you? If the castle falls, you can get it rebuilt again, with those same cards, but they don't have to be in the same places. The information is always the same but once you rebuild it, it changes places.” He smiles again. “That's really smart. You thought that on your own?”

“I had help.” Taekwoon says sheepishly as the eyes of mostly everyone on the room falls on him. “It was a collective effort.”

Hakyeon’s face lights up in understanding. “Oh… Oh I see.”  He blinks silently once. “But can you hack a system that self-reprograms like this?”

“Now I know what I'm handling is much easier. I have to think about it.”

“That's why I have this drive.” Taekwoon intervenes suddenly, fishing the drive out of his pocket, Taekwoon's soft airy voice contrasts too much with Yongguk's naturally deep one. “I tried to pick what I could by memory and make your systems compatible.”

“You have a compatibility protocol running?”

“Yes all the integrated softwares must present a serial number upon connection.”

“I see…  You are an operator, right?”

“Yes.”

“Will the Aurora respond to your commands then?”

“If my number is in the mainframe then yes, She has a great memory.”

“Sit, let's discuss this.”

On the other side of the room Hongbin stares at them, and Hakyeon takes the chair beside him, to eye him down. “What a forlorn look. Is everything okay?”

“I don't know what they are talking about.”

"Programmers stuff. I only listen to the explanations either way." Hakyeon takes a seat beside him, silent. "Is there something else, Kong?"

"Not really… Just keeping up I guess." 

"I know it must be a lot to take in. Being involved in this so suddenly… But somehow I felt like I should involve you in this, at the time it seemed like a good idea but now I wonder if I should really have called you in…"

"It's fine… I don't regret letting you persuade me. I leaves less time for my mind to wander, I've also been able to become more productive at work. We all won I think."

Across the room Taekwoon leans over, shoulders rolling as he explains words Hongbin is unable to give meaning to. 

Nonchalant.

Beautiful.

Goddamn him.

"You should truly join us to drink one of these nights, Hongbin, I never see you out. It's too much pressure and no fun at all."

"Maybe one day…" 

"Hakyeon." From across the room Taekwoon calls. "Would you mind filling me up on some info I lack… Or forgot." 

"Anything to help such a handsome man." 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter