Take-out

Suburbia
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“I'll have to leave a bit earlier. Hakyeon wants to go seek a lawyer after the way they took Taekwoon today…” It saddens him that the lie is so easy to come. So he makes an effort. “I… thank you– for today.”

“Uhm it's fine bro, we're friends.” He places the tweezers down, the glasses up and spins to face Hongbin already by the door from his chair. “If you need something you can… you know, gimme a call.”

“Yeah… thanks.” He slips off before he can start squirming again to meet Hakyeon and Jaehwan for Wonshik isn't there.

“Wonshik will meet us there. Into the car, we have a tight schedule.”

Where exactly is there he doesn't know for sure and he is certainly a little scared to ask. “It's me.”

“The line is clean, talk freely.” It's a different voice from earlier.

“Meet us in the company. I need to give the drive to you and discuss the reminiscent problems. I believe we might need him.”

“The one with you. The new guy. You sure he's clean?” Hongbin knows they're talking about him. He can tell as much. “We didn't do any background check on him and you're already talking about specifics.”

“He's a good kid, I trust him.” Hongbin squirms a little when he meets Hakyeon's eyes through the rear view mirror.  “It's my responsibility.”

“Your responsibility yes, but not your choice.”

“He can help.”

“It's too late to say that now. If we find any stain on him we'll deal with it. I'll be waiting, don't call me again.” Hakyeon makes a face and sighs, pressing at his temples as Jaehwan gives him a look.

“Deal with me?”

“Don't worry. No one will deal with anyone under my supervision.”

The park not long after that, a fancy building in the 104th where high class lawyers and other privatized law entities reside to help the community.

The the ones from the 100th or higher at least.

Wonshik stands out like an open wound in those old jeans and red tank top and rings and tattoos. “Hate this place.”

“At least no one called the guardians.” Jaehwan mentions as they walk into the building. Hongbin keeps himself mindfully quiet.

“Why are we in such a fancy place?”

“I suppose you don't know but Hakyeon was born in the 87th.” Hongbin's face would be comical in any other situation. “How else do you think he and Taekwoon would ever meet? Taekwoon is the son of the

Defense Minister Jung.”

“What?”

“You didn't know about that either?”

When Taekwoon mentioned his father, he never thought said father would be the defense Minister. Makes sense though… everything about it makes sense.se he's just… Really slow. “Hakyeon is not nearly as rich but he's from the Hundreds.” It explains part of Hakyeon's overly manipulative behavior too, but that's kind of mean… for him to think so.

“Follow me Mr.Cha.” the woman smiles. “How are your parents?”

“Healthy I believe.” Hakyeon's smile is the same as usual, that measured,boss-like smile Hongbin always thought to be a simple consequence of him being the captain of the Nautilus… maybe that's not all.

“Can I offer coffee? Tea?”

“We're fine. We came to see Himchan. Is he available?”

“Yes, sir.”


 

~+~


 

“Mr.Jung?” Taekwoon looks at the mirrored walls with a type of placidity he hasn’t experienced in a long time. “Are you ready to begin with the medical procedure?”

“Yes.”

“You’re already familiar with the incision? Any preference on your module model?”

Taekwoon sighs, presses at his temples. “Yes, the 2mm one, with the green stripes? Can’t remember the name.” His head has been hurting all afternoon since the meeting with his father. The passive aggressive jabs leaving him overly tired and eager to leave.

He can’t.

Not yet.

The golden badge on his chest glistens. He hates it. “Are you familiar with the symptoms you might present after the procedure. Any medication you used last time? Would you prefer to have a personal doctor?”

“Whatever.” This could be easier. “Just knock me out, I need sleep.”

“Yes, Mr.Jung.”

He doesn’t feel the needle, but the room starts becoming fuzzy, despite being too bright and too white still… No place is this clean.

Certainly not this place.

Certainly not him.


 

~+~

 

The memory of how they got to this place fe

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter