eight.

Go Away

[ added a few paragraphs ]

~~~~~~~~

Youngmin didn't come to school after that. Serin couldn't even get a hold of him, either. No one knews where he went off. He didn't even inform the teachers.

Serin tried visiting his apartment, but no one. No one opened the door. And, on the third day of visiting, a neighbor approached her.

"The one living there. Youngmin, isn't it? He went back to Busan, last Sunday. Didn't he tell you?" the middle-aged lady from next door told Serin. She knows Serin, because she's been here with Youngmin for a couple of times, and still recognizes her.

"I see, he didn't mention anything. Thank you." She thanked, and bowed politely, before walking back to her own neighborhood.

I hope he's fine.

"Serin-ah! Isn't it Youngmin who went straight to the faculty? Is he finally back?" A classmate of hers said, as soon as Serin stepped into the room. Serin's eyes widened, and she quickly went to the faculty room to find Youngmin.

The door right across, the faculty room was open, and she saw a glimpse of two students inside. She was dumbfounded for a sudden. She felt like she's familiar with one of the two figures. She turned slowly to face them, but as she did, a hand covered her sight, and another hand wrapped around her waist, pulling her closer to the person, as she felt his/her breath on top of her head.

"Yoon Serin." she heard a very soft whisper, which melted her heart. She recognized the voice. It was Youngmin. She found herself smiling, but welling up in tears. She didn't know why. She just did.

Maybe she missed him too much. Today would've been the fifth day he hasn't gone to school. She missed coming to collect him for his mess, walking back home with him, and just simply seeing him in school.

Did she like Youngmin? She didn't know, and she doesn't want to know. She's contented with whatever they have, right now.

Youngmin felt his palm getting wet, and he quickly flipped Serin over, to face him. He tried to do it in a way where she won't see Seongwoo with that a different girl he saw before. But, Serin already saw, even before Youngmin covered her eyes. She knows Youngmin doesn't want her to know. So in the end, she's going to pretend. For no reason.

"Are you crying? Why?" Youngmin asked, worried if she saw Seongwoo.

Serin's tears continued to fall. Was she crying because of Seongwoo? Or Youngmin? Why is she crying, anyway? She can't deny she's hurt by what she've seen from the other guy, but she also can't deny a part of her was crying because she finally saw Youngmin today, and he's fine.

"You were gone for too long. I missed you." She replied, and looked down at her feet, and noticed he wasn't in his indoor shoes. She looked up to him with teary eyes. "You're not going to class, are you?"

Youngmin rubbed the back of his neck, and bit his lip, then gave her a sheepish smile. Only then, Serin noticed the dark circles under his eyes, he looked so tired, he looked like he needs sleep.

"Mom collapsed. I went back to help at the farm, and take care of Mom. She's still in the hospital, so I might not go back for a few days more. I just came here to inform the school. I'm going back later, after I pay this month's rent." He said. Serin felt the need to ruffle his hair, so she did. She stood on her toes, and slowly reached out to his head. Youngmin slightly bent his head down, and soon, she his hair carefully. Youngmin felt safe. He was back at being selfless infront of her.

He missed her. He missed this. They stared at each other, for a while. His hands on her waist, and her hand on his head. They heard the faculty door open, and they immediately retreated their hands. They bowed to their teacher, and turned to go away, but before they could go away, the teacher called out to the two students inside the room across the faculty's. Seongwoo and the girl were caught.

Youngmin grabbed her hands, and ran away. He'll be the one to fix things up when he gets back. After the two of them switched directions, they stopped running, and walked a bit slowly. It was a coincidence that they have a free hour, and people aren't scattered in the hallways.

 "Serin-ah." he called out.

"Hm?"

"Just to let you know, whatever happens to you, you can tell it to me. I might just be a troublemaker, but I can listen to your problems, or whatever. Even if that's a guy problem." he said which of course, broke his heart even more because once she talked about guy problems, that guy would surely be not Youngmin. "And in cases of guy problems, you know you have me. I can use my fists pretty well. Just ready your first-aid. I think we'll need teamwork for that." He joked, and chuckled fakely.

Serin just raised an eyebrow at him, and Youngmin shrugged it off. She has a slight hint that he was referring to Seongwoo, but she doesn't want to assume.

"Keep your fists. I'm already broke for buying band-aids. Let me save money." she joked back.

They walked a few more minutes until they reached their classrooms. He stopped, at Serin's classroom. He was about to let go of her hand, but Serin's grip tightened. He looked down to their hands, and then at her.

"Can I go there, too?" she asked hopefully, referring to his hometown.

"Can't you stay here? I don't want you see me crying." he joked.

"You're already crying, though." She said, and reached out to wipe his tears. She looked at him, worriedly.

"No, I'm not. What are you talking about?" he denied, but his shaking and stuttering voice gave it away. He can't take it anymore. He had to cry. He never let any shred of tear fall while he was at the hospital. But, he can't hold it anymore.

Serin took his hands, and went to the council meeting room. Youngmin just followed with his head hanging low, trying so hard not to break down. But, as Serin let go of his hand, he sobbed. Then, he cried. He cried like he did, before. Like when he was crying because he quitted dancing. Everything just came down at him. He doesn't know what to do anymore.

"I'm here, Youngmin-ah." Serin wrapped her hand to hug him, while the other the back of his head.

"I'm so worried for her. I don't know. I can't sleep. I just.." He tried continuously, but failed at it.

"She'll be fine, Youngmin." she said, and she felt Youngmin hug her back tightly, resting his face on her shoulder. She can feel the fabric on her shoulder get wet. But she didn't mind. Youngmin needs someone to cry on. She knows he doesn't want to cry in front of his family. "Do you want me to come with you?" she offered. She felt him nod, and bury his head against her neck.

"I'll always be here for you. Don't forget that. I can be your crying shoulder. Or whatever. We've been through hard times in these 5 years. You're not alone. Never will be." she assured him, while caressing he back of his head.

All he could mutter was a soft "Mhm."