three.

Go Away

"Serin!" Youngmin called out, which was ignored by the other two.

 

They were staring into each other's eyes, trying to figure out each other. Youngmin wanted to get her out, but then she spoke up.

 

"You can't possibly go out with me. Don't cheat on your girlfriend. She's probably better than me. But, oh, I've already told her about this, though. Sorry. Good luck." Serin said, and smiled sweetly. She's usually very nice, but why be nice to someone who's planning to cheat on his girlfriend. Duh. Serin, returned the letter to the dumbfounded boy, and turned away to see Youngmin standing, there. She walked up to him, and Youngmin just turned around to walk beside her.

 

"Cool. Didn't sound like you, at all. How'd you know?" He said, with a kind of bright tone. He was really jealous at first, but then, the jealousy was gone as he watched him get rejected. He just thinks it serves him right.

 

"The girl is a friend of mine. I had a slight idea as soon as I saw his bunny-like front teeth, and that hard-to-pronounce name. I contacted her when you didn’t reply to me. Perks of being a student council, I get to go to other schools for some reason, and make unreasonable amount of acquaintances. The audacity to do such thing, though. Don't you ever do that to your future girlfriend or you'll meet my fists even though you're stronger than I am." She ranted. Youngmin just watched her rant, and still found her beautiful, and admirable.

 

"I won't ever do that to you. Don't worry." Youngmin just blurted out without much thinking, and gazed at the group of dancers practicing their routine, the two of them passed by. He unconsciously stopped on his tracks.

 

"What?" Serin suddenly stopped, and turned to him, with a confused expression. She was just about to ask what the meaning of what he said was. But she noticed, he was staring into those dancers. She immediately covered Youngmin's eyes even though she can barely reach it without having to stand on her toes.

 

Youngmin snapped back to reality, and turned to Serin who was struggling on her toes. When Youngmin put her hand down, she shifted to stand on her feet, and squinted at him with a disapproving look.

 

"No. I just.." He tried saying an excuse but, just scratched the back of his neck.

 

"Do you still want to?" She asked, as she watched the dancers, too.

 

"Mhm. I may sound stupid, but yeah. Can't help it." He forced a chuckle. But it sounded like a bitter laugh.

 

"You're the coolest when you dance, not when you punch someone." She said, and continued walking away from the place.

 

Youngmin was actually quite surprised with that, since they never talked about him quitting dancing. But, he shrugged it off, and jogged a little to catch up with Serin.

 

"Go in. Can you uh.. text me, anything, later?" Youngmin said, and bit his lower lip. His head was slightly lowered down, in slight embarrassment. Serin just chuckled, and ruffled his hair.

 

"What's with you, seriously. But, sure, I will. Text me first, though, when you get home." Serin reminded. The both of them bid their farewells, and Serin went inside their house, while Youngmin just watched her go in.

 

After Serin went inside, Youngmin cannot avoid reminiscing to the time when he was still dancing.

 

"Can I watch you dance?" A much younger Serin, said in a more high-pitched voice than her current talking voice. Maybe it was caused by the over excitement of wanting to see Youngmin dance.

 

"Go away before I report you for skipping your club meeting." Youngmin warned Serin. This was during the first year in middle school. They were still strangers at this time, but Serin insisted on making friends with him. She never listens to Youngmin's "Go away." Instead, she sticks to him more because she thinks that Youngmin is just pretending that he wants to be alone.

 

"Can I watch you dance?" Serin returned to the dance club's room, and asked him to dance, the next day.

 

"Go away before I slam the door on your face, Serin." Youngmin remarked, making Serin pull funny faces to mock Youngmin.

 

"Can't you just dance so I can stop nagging you?" Serin kind of begged, she just wanted to see him dance, because everyone said he was a great great great dancer.

 

The next day, and Serin just opened the door without knocking.

 

"Youngmin!" She exclaimed, after opening the door, and found him to be sitting on the floor against the wall on one side of the room.

 

"Go away be--" He tried to shoo her away, but to no avail.

 

"You're crying." She, then, closed the door, and went closer to him.

 

“I said, go away, idiot.” Youngmin remarked, not wanting to let anyone see him crying.

 

“Why do you always make me leave? You don’t even have someone to accompany you while crying. You’re the real idiot, here, Im Youngmin. Now, don’t talk and just cry. I’m not leaving until you stop crying.” Serin sat beside him, and pulled out a handkerchief to Youngmin. 

 

Youngmin had no choice but to get that or else his uniform would get wet. They sat in silence, only hearing the boy’s faint sobs. 

 

Since then, Youngmin finally didn’t push Serin away, and they became close friends after a few days. Despite the curiosity filling her, Serin never asked why he cried that day, nor did Youngmin ever mention why. They just accompanied each other, and got to know each other better.

 

“That day. Was it because you’re quitting dancing?” Serin asked him, at last, holding the doorknob in one hand, and the other, clutching the hems of her skirt. She was breathing heavily, when she arrived at the club room. Did she run? She did. She did, as soon as she heard a classmate of hers spreading a rumor that Youngmin’s quitting dancing.

 

Youngmin was startled, at the sudden question, but gave her a questioning look on how did she know.

 

“So, it’s true?” Serin’s shoulders dropped as she said that. Although they weren’t close for a long time, she knows how Youngmin liked dancing, how he’s happy whenever he dances.

 

Youngmin just grinned at her, “Get over it. It’ll be fine, I guess.” 

 

“Do you want to go to an arcade with me?” Serin asked, which sounded like a “Will you go out with me” confession.

 

“Is that a confession?” He was taken aback, but he knew she wasn’t confessing. She just wanted to make him feel better. 

 

She just rolled her eyes, and slammed the door, not waiting for Youngmin to catch up. Of course, Youngmin and her went to an arcade to play. Youngmin, although he doesn’t want to admit, felt lighter whenever Serin tries to cheer him up. He maybe, just maybe, has a crush on her. She’s sticking with him no matter how many times he says go away. She knew how to comfort people. She knew how to care for others, which Youngmin admired from her. Her smile was contagious, and she’s really a person who won’t leave you alone when you’re having a hard time. Youngmin relied on her a lot ever since, and they became even more closer than ever, which brings them to second year highschool. 

 

“We’ve known each other for 5 years. Yet, you’ve never felt anything for me, at all? Aren’t you too oblivious? You’re too much, Yoon Serin.” Youngmin just smiled while looking down at his feet, before walking off to his home.