Chapter Eight

Anything Can Happen [HIATUS]

            “Hey, when did you change?” Eunwoo asks as he sits down on his bed again.

            “I changed when you were changing in the bathroom,” I laugh. “I wasn’t going to wait that long for you to change, which took forever by the way, and change in the bathroom after you.”

            “Understandable,” he nods. “So, what do you want to do?”

            “I don’t know… Want to play a game of cards or something? I brought a deck of cards…” I suggest.

            “Sure,” Eunwoo smiles and I can feel my stomach twist in knots and my heart flutter.

-

            I wake up the next morning feeling well-rested. I glance at the clock next to me and read the time; 3:04pm. Jet-lag?

            “Morning sleepy head,” I hear Eunwoo chuckle.

            “I was tired,” I whine.

            “Let’s do something today,” he smiles, changing the subject.

            “Like what?”

            “Get dressed, you’ll find out later,” he smirks.

            “Really?” I whine.

            “Yup, now let’s go! Get dressed,” he shoos me with his hands.

-

            Once Eunwoo and I are both ready we leave the hotel and stroll down the streets of Paris. “Is this what we’re doing all day?” I ask him, teasingly.

            “Not entirely; I thought maybe we could find a café and just sit for a while. Is that alright?” Eunwoo asks me.

            “Yeah!” I exclaim enthusiastically. “I’m just extremely happy to be in Paris; I would’ve been fine if we stayed in the hotel room today.”

            “We’re not going to do that,” he chuckles.

            The two of us walk for about twenty minutes until Eunwoo abruptly stops. “We’re here,” I look up at his face to see his beautiful and perfect smile.

            “How did you know where this place is?”

            “I noticed it when we were getting a ride to the hotel yesterday,” he tells me.

            “Bonjour,” a man standing behind a podium greets us as we approach.

            “Bonjour,” I reply with a smile.

            “Combien de personnes?” he asks.

            “Deux personnes, s’il vous plait,” I tell him.

            “Right this way,” he says with a heavy French accent. We follow him to a table under a red awning with the café’s name writing on it.

            I thank the man once again as Eunwoo and I take our seats. I glance around at the street around us. The street itself is very skinny and looks to be made of cobblestone. In the distance, the Eiffel Tower stands. I’m pretty sure you can see the Eiffel Tower in the distance wherever you are in Paris. Paris is a very interesting and beautiful city, what I’ve seen of it so far and all the pictures I’ve seen throughout my life.

            “Madi? Are you okay there?” Eunwoo’s laugh snaps me back to reality.

            “Huh?” I turn my attention to him. “Sorry, I was distracted by the beauty of Paris,” I look down at my hands in my lap, suddenly shy.

            “Yeah, beautiful,” he smiles. “Can I ask you a question?”

            “Sure,” I smile back at him.

            “Why did you want to come to Paris for so long?”

            “I don’t know really… I’ve seen so many pictures and heard so many things about Paris, plus when I was younger I did a project on the Eiffel Tower that I remember absolutely nothing of, and I’ve just always wanted to travel here I guess,” I laugh at myself. “I have a question now; why did you pick Paris for your little ‘getaway’ you needed?”

            “Like I said before, I remembered you mentioning you wanting to travel here and it was the first place to pop into my head when I stumbled across the idea of getting away from my problems,” he shrugs like it’s no big deal.

            “Will you tell me why you needed to get away and what these problems are? I’m here to listen,” I reach across the table and place my hand on top of his that rests on the table.

            “I’d really prefer not to, if you don’t mind.” I sigh. “I’m not ready to talk about it…” his voice gets quiet.

            I was about to say something when another gentleman approaches our table, assumingly that works at the café. He greets us in French and Eunwoo greets back in English. We both order a beverage; I order a hot chocolate and Eunwoo orders a coffee. “I didn’t know you liked hot chocolate to be honest,” Eunwoo speaks when the gentleman walks away.

            “Yeah, I don’t like coffee or tea or anything like that… So, hot chocolate it is,” I laugh.

            Eunwoo joins me in laughter before his attention is caught by something in the distance. I look to where Eunwoo’s gaze is and gasp quietly. The clouds and sky have changed in colour. The clouds glow a vibrant pink and purple as the sun sets. “Wow,” I whisper. I never realized how late in the day it was.

            “Yeah, wow,” I turn to Eunwoo as his attention is now turned away from the beautiful sunset.

            A silence falls over Eunwoo and I; not awkward but comfortable. The gentleman working at the café returns with our beverages shortly after. We both thank him and silently drink our beverages. We spend the next few hours just talking and asking each other random questions to better know each other. We already know quite a bit about each other but we decided to as the small questions like ‘favourite colour’ and ‘favourite snack’, all those types of questions.

            Subconsciously I start to yawn. I didn’t realize how tired I still was, I think to myself. “Are you tired?” Eunwoo asks.

            “A little bit. Would you mind making our way back to the hotel? I feel like I could fall asleep any moment,” I tell him.

            “Yeah, sure.” Eunwoo leaves some money on the table to pay for our beverages and we leave, heading back to the hotel. “For the record if you start to fall asleep, I’ll carry you,” he lightly nudges my arm with his elbow.

            I laugh and smile at him, “Thanks Eunwoo.”

-

            We arrive at the hotel not too long after leaving the café and tiredly walk to the elevator. As soon as we make it to the room, I quickly grab a pair of sweatpants and run to the bathroom to change. When I open the door, Eunwoo is also now changed into pajamas.

            “Good night Eunwoo,” I smile as I turn off the light and climb into my own bed, trying to get comfy enough to fall asleep quickly.

            “Good night Madi, see you in the morning.”

            I smile at the fact that Eunwoo calls me Madi; it’s a small detail but I love it because it’s almost like an endearing nickname in a way. I know I’m sounding like a lovesick teenager but I’m falling for Eunwoo more and more every day that I spend time with him.