Chapter Two

Anything Can Happen [HIATUS]

            I walk back inside as calm as possible and sit back down in my seat with everyone again. “Madi?” I look up at Eryn. “You okay?”

            “Yeah, why wouldn’t I be?” I shrug.

            She gasps. “I completely forgot, oh my gosh!”

            “What?!” Skye and Stasia as at the same time.

            “Madi had some issues with Eunwoo in high school and-” I frantically shake my head so she doesn’t continue and tell them that I had feelings for him. “-and that’s it.” I sigh of relief.

            “I’ll just ignore and avoid him as much as I can,” I shrug.

            “Okay, well, right before you left for a minute I was going to say that we should go out for dinner to celebrate the news, mine and Skye’s; Rocky suggested it,” Eryn adds.

            “Okay, can you text me the information? I have to run some errands today,” I stand from my seat with an apologetic look on my face. I see everyone nod before I turn and leave the shop again.

            Okay, I lied. I don’t have to do anything. I honestly just wanted to get out of there and clear my head.

            I spend the rest of the day just walking around town aimlessly, thinking of nothing and everything all at once.

            Somehow I made it home at 11:00pm and immediately crashed and fell asleep once my head hit the pillow.

-

            I check the time as soon as I wake up; 12:04pm. How did I sleep for over twelve hours?!

            I glance at my phone to see a few texts from Eryn; one saying which restaurant we’re going to, on as a reminder not to wear sweatpants as a joke, and the last text telling me the time we’re supposed to meet at.

            I take a shower and start to get ready right away because I was told we’re meeting at 4:30pm.

-

            I arrive at the restaurant to see everyone waiting; Skye with MJ, Eryn with Rocky, Stasia with Moon Bin, and Eunwoo… He’s talking with Rocky and didn’t notice me enter. I can’t look away from him. Why is he here?

            Eryn stands from a bench and walks toward me, “You know, it’s rude to stare,” she whispers.

            “Why is he here?” I say through clenched teeth.

            “The entire wedding party is here,” she chuckles.

            “Why didn’t you tell me?”

            “You wouldn’t have come if I told you he was.” She’s right; I would’ve come up with a lie to stay home most likely.

            I sigh as a waiter approaches our group and tells us our table is ready. I follow behind everyone as we walk, still staring at the back of Eunwoo’s head. I wish I could completely forget my feelings for him but after just seeing him now, he got even more attractive after high school. Why am I thinking this? I should not be thinking that he’s attractive at all.

            Everyone takes their seats and I’m left with the seat across from Eunwoo. Why universe, why?!

            I keep my head down as I look at the menu in front of me. I glance through my eyelashes at the man sitting across from me talking with Stasia and Moon Bin. Before I can look away I see him look back at me with a confused look on his face. I ignore it and go back to looking down.

            Once everyone has ordered their meals I excuse myself from the table, saying I simply need some air. I walk outside and sigh. How am I supposed to deal with this? It’s like all of my feelings for Eunwoo have resurfaced like they were in high school! “Hey, are you okay?” a voice interrupts my thoughts. His voice hasn’t changed at all… I turn around to face Eunwoo.

            “Yeah, I’m fine; just needed some air,” I try to remain calm. I feel my stomach drop and I can’t shake the nervous feeling Eunwoo gives me.

            “Doesn’t seem like it,” he crosses his arms over his chest.

            “Well, I am. I was just feeling claustrophobic in the restaurant.” I walk past him and back inside to our table.

            The remainder of the evening Eunwoo and I exchange several awkward glances at each other but neither of us say or do anything about it.

            The evening ends and everyone says their goodbyes. “It was nice seeing you again,” Eunwoo smirks and leaves without another word.

            “Well that was awkward to watch,” Eryn laughs as she appears next to me.

            “You just scared the out of me!”

            “Sorry,” she laughs again. “Are you sure you’ll be okay with Eunwoo here?”

            “Yeah, I mean, I dealt with him in high school so I can deal with him again,” I shrug like it’s not a big deal.

            “But you had feelings for him then,” she reminds me.

            I look away from her, avoiding eye contact, “Yeah,” I whisper, but quiet enough that she can’t hear.

            “No!” she gasps. “It can’t be! You still have feelings for him?” she exclaims too loudly.

            “Who?” Rocky asks as he intertwines his and Eryn’s hands as he approaches.

            “Madi had feelings for Eunwoo in high school-“

            “This I know,” Rocky interrupts her.

            “Anyway, I think she might still have feelings for him,” she tells her fiancé.

            “Guys, I’m standing right here!” I whine. “And please, don’t tell anyone? Especially Eunwoo.”

            “She didn’t deny it!” Rocky exclaims. Eryn shushes him, “We won’t say anything to anyone,” he laughs. “Luckily I was saying goodbye to Stasia and Bin before I walked over.”

~~~

            It’s been a few weeks since everyone went out to celebrate Rocky and Eryn’s engagement, as well as Skye and MJ’s announcement of their twins.

            I also can’t stop thinking about Eunwoo since I saw him again for the first time in ages. I can’t help but think of the past; all the teasing he put me through and picking on me. When we were in high school I was still in my awkward stage of life and hadn’t hit my ‘glow-up’ stage yet. Eunwoo would tease me every day because of my awkward appearance and personality. It was harmless teasing but I took it very seriously and it hurt my self-esteem. He’d also picked on me for having very little friends, because he was quite popular with everyone in high school, but that’s just how I was. Sadly, even though it hurt my self-esteem, I still fell for him even more than my small crush in seventh grade. Now, since he’s been back in town, I can’t seem to forget these feelings or get rid of them. It gets harder and harder the more I see him to ignore his gorgeous face and tune out his surprisingly and remarkably soothing voice.

            I’m on my way to meet Eryn, Skye, and Stasia for more planning, it’s getting there; planning is slow but still getting there. I stop walking when I get a text from an unknown number.

            UNKNOWN NUMBER:

            MEET ME AT THE CAFÉ ACROSS FROM THE PARK?

            Must be a wrong number… I ignore it and continue on my walk to meet the girls.

            I arrive at the coffee shop we always go to and find them already inside. “Hey, sorry I’m late again,” I apologize. “What’d I miss?”

            “You didn’t miss much,” Stasia laughs.

            “I was just discussing my colour choice with everyone,” Eryn smiles.

            “Have you decided on flowers yet?” Skye asks her.

            Eryn nods, “The colours will be golds and purples with red roses” she smiles again. “I’m extra and expensive,” she adds with a laugh.

            “You’re definitely extra,” Stasia jokes.

            For about an hour the four of us talk about wedding things, children, dates, and a bunch of stuff I just can't relate to...

            “Alright, I have to get home. Rocky and I have a date,” Eryn stands.

            “I also have to get home because Bin’s been home alone for a while and has been bugging me to spend time with him since I left the house,” Stasia laughs.

            “Am I the only one going home to no one?” I joke. “Skye, I assume that you’re going home to be with MJ?” She nods.

            “For now,” Eryn teases. I sigh and shake my head as we all leave the coffee shop and head home.