Chapter Three

Anything Can Happen [HIATUS]

            My life has seemed to be consumed by helping Eryn plan her wedding by next July; it’s not like my life is very interesting by itself anyway.

            I decided to take a walk to try and clear my head as much as possible because Eunwoo still is my most constant thought because… I think I’m in love with him again. My brain says I shouldn’t but my heart disagrees.

            In the midst of my walk I receive a text from the same unknown number from a few days ago.

            UNKNOWN NUMBER:

            HELLO?

            I decide to respond this time.

MADISEN:

WHO IS THIS?

            Instead of responding, I get a call from the same number. “Hello?” I answer; anxious to find out who the number belongs to.

            “Hi,” the voice is male and I’d know his voice anywhere; it’s Eunwoo. How did he get my number?

            “How did you get my number?” I voice my thoughts.

            “Eryn gave it to me,” he sounds shy. Of course it was Eryn… why did I even ask?

            “Is there a reason you called me or…” my voice begins to trail off and it sounds more like a question.

            “Can you meet me at the café across from the park? I’d really like to talk to you and actually, properly catch up,” he explains.

            I sigh to myself. On one hand, I don’t want to meet him because I’m trying to avoid him as much as possible; but on the other hand, I have butterflies thinking about him because I can’t get rid of these feelings. “What time?” I ask him, making up my mind. Figuratively in the battle between my mind and my heart, my heart won.

            “Really?” he questions, sounding shocked by my agreement to meet him.

            “Yeah, why not?” I lightly chuckle.

            “Are you close to the café, in general? I actually just got here,” he tells me.

            “I’m actually out for a walk so I can be there in a few minutes, if that’s okay with you?”

            “Prefect!” he exclaims. “I’ll see you soon.”

            “See you soon,” I subconsciously smile and my stomach twists into knots. We say our goodbyes as I round a corner and the café comes into view. Will this nervous feeling ever go away when I think about or interact with Eunwoo?

            I enter the small café and immediately see him seated in a booth next to the large window. Eunwoo looks up from his phone and waves me over. I let out a breath I didn’t even realize I was holding until now.

            “Hey,” he smiles as I sit on the bench across from him.

            “Hi,” I feel my cheeks heat up. I hope he can’t see that I’m blushing! That’s embarrassing! “So…” my voice trails off again. “…why did you want to meet me?” I try to change the topic a bit.

            “I know you’re trying to avoid me,” he states bluntly.

            “It’s that obvious?” I whisper to myself but he hears me.

            “Yes,” he whispers in response. “Can I ask why?”

            I sigh. Might as well tell him and maybe we can resolve this. “You probably don’t remember this but you teased me a lot in high school,” I lower my head to look down at the table in front of me.

            “Oh my gosh,” he gasps. “I do remember that.”

            “You do?”

            “Yes, I’m so sorry,” he apologizes. I look up again and into his eyes and he looks genuinely sorry and is really apologizing.

            “Can I ask you a question now?” He nods. “Why did you do it? Why did you pick on me and tease me throughout high school?”

            “Honestly,” he sighs again, “I was going through some tough times throughout our years in high school and I guess I took it out on you,” he lowers his eyes. “I’d prefer not to explain my hardships though,” he adds.

            “That’s fine, but if you ever wanted to talk about it or need someone to listen to you, I’m here,” I smile and he looks up at me again.

            “Thanks,” he smiles back. “Can we try to be friends now? And you stop avoiding me?” he laughs quietly.

            “I guess,” I sigh with sarcasm. “I’m kidding, yeah we can be friends, I’d like it if we were friends,” I smile at him again.

            Time flies and three hours pass by. We talked the entire time, just catching up with what we did after we both finished school and just random things we thought of to talk about. Our long conversation comes to an end when I hear my phone ringing. Eunwoo nods, implying that he doesn’t mind if I answer it. I don’t check the caller ID and quickly answer it, “Hello?”

            “Where are you?” Eryn asks frantically. “I’ve been trying to get a hold of you for the past three hours! It’s like you fell off the Earth!”

            “Sorry, I didn’t even look at my phone or even hear it go off,” I apologize.

            “Where are you?” she asks again.

            “The café across from the park and-”

            “Okay, I’ll meet you there; don’t leave,” she tells me before hanging up.

            “Who was that?” Eunwoo asks while trying to contain his laughter.

            “Eryn,” I laugh along with him. I can’t help it; his laughter is contagious.

            “What’d she say?” he asks.

            “She was just wondering where I was so I told her and now she’s on her way here,” I laugh.

            Eunwoo laughs once more before he stands, “I’m going to get a coffee or something, want anything? My treat,” he smiles. This boy smiles a lot more now than he did when we were in school.

            “Sure,” I smile back at him and tell him what I want.

            As soon as he approaches the counter, Eryn approaches the booth, making me jump.

            “Hi,” she says.

            “Why do you keep doing that?!”

            “Doing what?” she questions, tilting her head to the side slightly.

            “You keep scaring me and making me jump lately and I don’t like it because I don’t scare easily,” I sigh.

            She laughs at me as she takes a seat across from me, where Eunwoo originally was. Her laughter is soon interrupted by Eunwoo himself coming back to the table and sitting next to me. “Hey Eryn,” he smiles at her.

            “Thanks,” I smile when he hands me my beverage, he smiles in return. I could get used to seeing his beautiful smile more often.

            Eunwoo turns his attention back to Eryn, “How are you lately? Haven’t seen you in a while…”

            Eryn says nothing as she continues to silently stare at Eunwoo and I.