Chapter Seven

Anything Can Happen [HIATUS]

            “Are you okay now?” Eunwoo chuckles while looking down at my hand still in his.

            “Yeah,” I let go of his hand finally. “Sorry about that.” I glance out the window to see nothing but clouds.

            “It’s okay,” he smiles. I smile in response as I continue to try and calm down my rapid heartbeat. “If you want, you could try and get some sleep now because you’ll probably be too excited to sleep when we arrive,” Eunwoo teases after a brief moment of silence.

            “You’re right,” I slouch in my seat slightly, trying to get comfortable enough to sleep as I close my eyes. “I will be too excited later.”

            I hear Eunwoo chuckle next to me as I feel his hand on my shoulder. Out of instinct, I open my eyes again, this time with eyes widened, and look at him blankly. “I just thought you’d be more comfortable sleeping like this,” he places my head on his shoulder as he slouches in his seat slightly, “than with your head leaning against the window.”

            “Thanks,” I smile and close my eyes again. “Will you tell me why you need this little vacation?” I ask a few minutes later.

            “Nope.” I can tell Eunwoo’s smiling to himself, I can just picture it. Since he won’t tell me the reason for this trip, I decide it’s best not to say or ask anything else of him and just try to sleep.

-

            “Madisen,” I hear my name but it sounds distant. “Madi,” the voice gets louder. I slowly open my eyes and see Eunwoo staring down at my with a smile on his face. I jump away from him, suddenly wide awake and upright in my seat. “We’re about to land so I thought it’d be best to wake you now,” he tells me.

            “Thanks again,” I yawn.

            “No problem,” he smiles before returning his attention to the small television o the back of the seat in front of him.

            “Eunwoo?” I get his attention. “Did you actually plan anything that’s going to happen while we’re in Paris or is this just kind of spur of the moment and you dragged me with you?” I laugh.

            “Usually I’m quite the planner, not going to lie. But I knew I needed to get away for a while and I wanted you to come with me. This adventure, if you will, is pretty spur of the moment but it’s worth it, I think.”

            “Well then,” I mumble to myself.

            “What?”

            “Nothing, I just said ‘well then’,” I laugh.

-

            After getting our luggage and finding a car, Eunwoo and I arrive at a hotel. I turn to him before we walk in the door. “Hey, do you speak any French at all?”

            He looks hesitant for a moment. “No…” his voice trails off. “I forgot about that part,” he chuckles as he scratches the back of his neck nervously. “Do you speak French?”

            “A little bit. I have French in my family history somewhere but I can speak some French… what I remember from high school, barely,” I explain.

            “Then could you talk to the receptionist at the desk since you might be able to communicate better than I could,” he laughs again.

            “Alright, fine,” I playfully sigh and open the door to the hotel, Eunwoo trailing closely behind me.

            “Bonjour,” the woman greets us.

            “Bonjour,” I greet back with a smile. “Parlez-vous anglais?” I ask her.

            “Oui,” the smile never leaves her face.

            “Perfect,” I smile. “Can we please get a room?”

            “Of course,” she says with a heavy French accent. “Will you need one bed or two in your room?”

            I glance at Eunwoo before turning back to the receptionist. “Two please,” I tell her.

            She takes a few moments to type something and get the keys to our room after I pay for the room. “Here you go,” she hands me the room keys, “Enjoy your stay.”

            “Merci,” I smile again. Eunwoo and I make our way to an elevator around the corner. “Ta-da!” I wave the room key in front of his face.

            “Nice job,” he laughs.

            We find our room and make our way inside. I immediately run at one of the two beds and collapse. “You’re so weird,” I hear Eunwoo chuckle from the other bed. “So, what do you want to do?”

            “Are you tired from the flight?” I ask.

            “Not going to lie, yes, I’m tired,” it’s his turn to collapse on his own bed.

            “Then let’s just stay here and chat until one of us falls asleep,” I suggest.

            I hear Eunwoo yawn before he agrees. “I think I’m going to change out of my jeans,” he sighs to himself.

            “I think I shall do the same,” I sit upright.

            “How is this going to work?”

            “You mean the fact that we’re sharing a room?” He nods. “Well, when one of us has to change, we can change in the bathroom and when we see the bathroom door closed, we just knock. How about that?” I suggest.

            “That works for me,” he shrugs.

            “Okay then, that’s settled. Do you want to change first?” I point towards the bathroom across the room.

            “Sure,” he grabs an article of clothing from his luggage and walks into the bathroom, closing the door behind him. I take this opportunity to quickly change out of my own jeans into pajamas while Eunwoo’s out of the room.

            I still can’t believe that I’m in Paris and with Eunwoo. I want to tell him how I truly feel about him and how long I’ve had feelings for him but I don’t think I’ll be able to… I know that being in a romantic city might make things awkward, for me, but Eunwoo’s my best friend now and I don’t want to ruin his little getaway vacation by telling him that I love him.

            I’ve thought about telling Eunwoo how I feel and it ending in multiple different ways; Eunwoo likes me back and we date, he politely turns me down and we remain friends, or even he tells me he’ll never feel the same way about me and we stop talking and become distant. I don’t want the last possibility to happen so I just keep my feelings bottled up and try not to think about it too much.

            I could tell him but… I’m scared.