EP1 CH2

Doctors: First Season

Episode 1 Chapter 2

 

 

Going out through the emergency door Gestapo and her team reached to the ambulance.

“What’s the story?”

“Hwan Chul Gun. Male, bearer. Age, 27. Actor. He deteriorated and fainted in the movie set.”  Dr.Hyejin nodded her head, trying to keep the man who is still in an epileptic seizure as still as possible.

“We injected tranquilliser but it didn’t have an effect. He doesn’t have a big difference from his initial state.” Continued the emergency care technician. Taking the man on a bed in the emergency ward, all the interns were trying their best to keep the man still. Watching them from near the bed, the Gestapo started her instructions.

“Lay him on his side!...Suji inject him 10 mg diazepam” Leaving his hold on the patient, she turned around to do as she was told.

“No Jimin. The red end will be on the right side! Never heard of the saying ‘red light its right’ boy?” Quickly making up for his mistake Jimin continued to do his job.

“Yugyeom. Draw blood. Use a bigger injector, the blood should not be hemolysed.” The attack finally stopped and the patient lay on the bed, unmoving, with an oxygen mask over his mouth and nose. The interns left their hold on him, looking at their first case of the day. At this moment, a tall man decided to make his appearance with a mix of a smile and a smirk, behind Gestapo, he looked at the scene in front of him.

“Looks like you need me.”

“Definitely Dr. Chanyeol”

“Dr. Hyejin. Please take patient routines.”

“All right sunbae.” Just like that Park Chanyeol exited the room. She turned to her crew just to find them looking like a bunch of scared ducklings with their big eyes looking at her.

“Routine people, routine! Namely doing all the medical analysis of the patient. The urinalysis, hematocrit, white blood cell count, platelet count, six-factor automated multiple analysis (serum sodium, potassium, chloride, bicarbonate, glucose, and blood urea nitrogen), prothrombin time, partial thromboplastin time, chest x-ray, and electrocardiogram. All of them.” Looking around with blank eyes the interns tried to keep them in their minds.

“Baekhyun, go to the laboratory. Yugyeom, tend to the patient in room number 1013.”

“Yes, sunbae”

“Taehyung, you will tend to the new patients in the emergency ward.” All three took their leaves immediately after they got their tasks.

“Jimin for CTG, you will tend to Mr. Hwan” Jimin nodded his head as the Gestapo turned around to take her leave.

“Sunbae!” Bae Suji again. “You forgot me! What can I do?” Giving her a look over, with an overly sweet voice and sarcastic looks Gestapo answered.

“I reserved the rectal examinations for you little lady.” Turned around to leave once more and for all she muttered to herself, leaving a pouting girl behind.

“Patience Hyejin, patience.”

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------      

Wearing her medical gloves and taking her time to ready her mind for the examination, she looked at the old male in front her, who was in a doggy position, once again.

“Will you be doing it?”

“Uhm…yes?” Taking the lube in her hand and fiddling with the lid, Suji sighed once again.

“Isn’t there a male doctor?”

“Unfortunately.” Okay, you got this. Taking a little amount in her hands from the lube, she resisted the urge to cry in a corner. You got th…I will puke on everything good in this miserable world. 

“Now cough” A little boy not over the age of 7 with a bloody head bandage said to the now coughing man lying on the hospital bed. The boy put the diaphragm of the stethoscope over the man’s chest. Opening one of his eyes, the male spoke.

“Are you done?”

“NO. Open your mouth.” Opening his mouth and making some cliché Ahhh noises, after a few seconds he asked again.

“Are you done?” The boy nodded.

“Then it’s my turn now. Come here boy!” he held the little boy under his arms and pulled him towards to bed, over himself, the boy’s mother watching with a smile on her face. Laying the boy on the bed he got down to business.  

“Take a deep breath…Again” Tickling the tummy of the boy, he took off his stethoscope. “Super!” Getting out of the bed, the doctor turned to the mother.

“His condition is getting better every day. In a couple days, he can be discharged.” Turning toward the boy again “You will definitely come and visit me right mate?” The boy nodded. “Give me a high-five then!...Good boy!”

“Thank you Doctor Jeon” giving a small smile to the female he replied.

“My pleasure.”

Looking inside the operation room from the window allowed for the medical crew, Baekhyun sighed longingly. He would have continued looking inside longingly too, that is if he didn’t meet eyes with the Gestapo in her surgical scrub, bouffant cap and mask; ready for the operation. Gesturing to him towards the door she came closer. The door opened.

“I finished all the laboratory works.” She rolled her eyes heavily over hearing that.

“Did you come here to report this?” she was turning around to leave until,

“Based on what I heard, every year the hospital chooses the best intern and on their first shift the person can be allowed to the surgeries.” Getting a deadly look from his chief he added in a quiet voice.

“I just wanted to make sure…”

“Get lost. Immediately.”

He did as he was told. It was not because he was scared, but wanted to have good relationships with his superiors. He has a goal after all. Yeah, definitely. This is the reason.

Walking down the corridor, Yugyeom saw a crowd in front of the door of the room he was going to enter. Is it a wedding dress?  Now that he is looking more closely, all the people were dressed up nicely.

“Pardon! Pardon. Excuse me!”  He passed through the crowd finally arriving at the door and faced the bride.

“I hope a good recovery for your patient.”

“Please doctor, he has to be okay!”

“Hopefully.”

“We were just going to cut our cake but he fainted suddenly!”

“Ahh…Enough, you are telling whoever you see the same thing again and again! Like a parrot!”

Seeing this as a chance Yugyeom slide the door open and went inside.

The woman came closer to the bride and started to collect all the moneys and gold on her and the wedding dress. (A/N: Instead of wedding gifts, guests bring money, gold or jewelry to the bride and groom. They either put them on or needle them with a pin them on the wedding dress or the suit)

“So what mother? We are all worried for him and look at what you are worried about?”

“Who do you think I am worried for?” answered the woman, still taking out the pins. “All of it is for you.

In the mean time Dr. Yugyeom was inside the room checking the patient. Can’t getting his mind together because of all the voices coming from the outside, he hoofed.

“Excuse me for one second please.”  He walked towards the door and stepped out.

“God forbid it, what if you spill them? Or worse lost them? Tch.”

Looking at them incredulously, Yugyeom spoke in a low tone.

“Can you please vacate here? There is too much noise.”

“I want to see my husband.”

“Okay. You can come but please be quick.” Giving her mother one last look, she went inside with the doctor, closing the door behind her. She went for his husband's hand in a flash. He looked up to speak with his wife.

“Honey. I promise you we are going to take off for our honeymoon tomorrow morning.”

“It doesn’t matter! Your wellbeing, I don’t want anything other than that.” Smiling tiredly the man nodded.

“Come on. Let’s go out now.” Yugyeom spoke with a firm voice. Looking at her husband one last time, the bride stepped out of the door Yugyeom was holding for her.

“Go on.”

“Doctor, will he be alright?”

“Go on and we will talk outside.” Closing the door behind him Yugyeom continued.

“Do not worry. This is the best hospital of the country. In here there will be nothing bad happening to him. Don’t worry. Everything is under our control.” He didn’t know he can be that self confident. Awkward. “Uhm…Okay. Please, be quiet” He went inside once again.

An elevator door opened revealing Jimin with a wheeled bed, pushing his first patient out of the elevator. The actor seemed contented on the bed, sitting slightly and had his hands together on his lap.

“I would want to give you a signed photo as a memory but I don’t have one with me. I mean, since I fainted in the movie set, they took me here in a hurry. But if you find a camera…” clicking his tongue and doing snap gestures with his hands “...we can take special photos just for you.”

“No need, thank you.” Distracted with the pointless talk Jimin noticed he turned to wrong direction. Turning the bed around he started to wheel the other way, too tired from his chattering. Sulking and looking forward with empty eyes, he wondered if he would regret chopping his ears from his body.

“I think we are lost.” Pointing a finger at Jimin he continued “Definitely a newbie! After all, a carrier this young and beautiful certainly is newly graduated.”

“No, we are not lost.” he answered with a firm voice. Suddenly grabbing where his heart is, the patient grimaced his face.

“What?”

“AH! To ease the pain of my heart, you must do something doctor!” Jimin could swear he felt one of his eyes twitching. He faked a stiff smile nevertheless.

“Don’t worry. To have you discharged, I will do ALL I can.”  

“Haha! Don’t rush it!” He shrugged his shoulders like a kid. “Pain never bothered me anyway!” Moving the piece of hospital gown covering his arm he showed his biceps revealing a dragon tattoo.

“I had this tattoo when I was 17. It took 3 hours sharp.” Sighing deeply Jimin started to wheel faster.

“If it was someone else, he would have fainted from the pain! I didn’t even let out a sound!” making his eyes bigger and leaning forward with excitement, the actor waited for a reaction.

The word ‘suicide’ sounds like ‘heaven’ right now.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“Come on, dude! Don’t miss this chance! If you want I can do it instead of you!”

“Or me!”

“I can too!”

Looking at the whole football team with a disgusted face, Suji closed the curtains in their faces.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In the room number 1013, Dr. Chanyeol had his arms crossed, watching intently the intern who was trying to find a vein to put the needle in for the IV drip. He couldn’t decide who was distressed more: The patient who was apparently in pain, the bride who grabbed his husband’s hand hard enough to break all the bones or the intern who was trying to find the vein for the past 5 minutes.

“That’s enough. Move aside.” Finishing the job between seconds, the surgeon gave his patient an assuring smile.

“I am sure you were not that fast in past either.” Turning towards the intern, he gave a smug smile.

“It looks like we are going to have so much fun with you.”

Yugyeom wondered what his mother would say if he quits his job in his first day.

Suji walked towards the trash can for the nth time to dispose her gloves, wondering if things would have been different now if she didn’t remind Gestapo about herself. Or was it the miserably failed attempt at handshake?

She didn’t know but didn’t stop wondering anyways.

“Even Brad Pitt uses a stuntman. But flaunts afterwards. Whenas I never use a stuntman.”  Jimin gave a mindless nod.

“A person should deserve the money he earns, right?” He nodded.

“For example, the other day I had a difficult scene. It was a piece of cake for me though.”

“Hmm...”

“From the fifth floor, I jumped into a truck filled with sand! Impressed? There was nothing beside a small strain.” He nodded again. And again. And again…

 7th Hour

“Time flows so fast, don’t you think? It’s already noon.” Sitting at a table in the cafeteria with their meals, Yugyeom tried to start a conversation.

“Hmm…ask me about it.” Suji answered.

“Why don’t you eat?” Taehyung asked. “Or are you on diet and such? You are a model after all; you need to be in shape.”

“Why don’t you shut up?” Giving him a sharp look she countered only to get an annoying smirk and a shrug.

“You need to eat something. Or else you can’t survive in this tempo.” Yugyeom spoke to ease the tension a bit.

“You try to eat after exactly 17 rectal examinations, and see what happens.” Baekhyun gave her an indifferent look.

“Gestapo. Hates. Me.” Suji sulked.

“At least it’s only Gestapo. Our chief. Chanyeol sunbae hates me. The chief of our chief.” Playing with the apple in his hands Baekhyun finally decided to speak.

“The luckiest one between us is Jimin. As you can see, everyone favors him.”

“Jimin is a great person; of course everyone will favor him.”

“You are too naïve.” Yugyeom was taken aback from the stone face Baekhyun bears.

“The one who great is his father.”

“Why?” Baekhyun gave him a sardonic look.

“Possibly you know who Jimin’s father is.”

“Noooo…”

“His father is Park Dongho.” Baekhyun said it like it was common knowledge and they were the only ones who didn’t know.

“Really?” Suji gasped. Baekhyun gave her a look to confirm. “Woah, some people are really lucky.” My luck equals to rectal examinations.

“Who is Park Dongho?” Yugyeom asked. This time it was Taehyung’s turn to give ‘the look’

“Are you sure you studied medicine?” Yugyeom nodded meekly.

“The man has a surgical discovery named after him.” Baekhyun’s tone was getting lower and a little bit angry? Why is he so serious about this stuff? “He is a living legend!”

“Not only Korea but the whole world knows about him” Suji too? Was he the only one with no idea?

“Okay, okay I get it! It is because I am concerned about the patients more than the doctors itself; I might not know the famous surgeons like you guys.”

“I'd have given anything to be the daughter of Park Dongho.” Suji sighed dreamily.

“I'd have given anything to be the Park Dongho.” Baekhyun said with a challenging voice. At this moment, a wild Jimin took a chair from a vacant table, dragging it to sit down with the others.

“Why the most troublesome man in the world HAD TO BE my patient? If I haven’t taken the Hippocratic Oath, I would have killed him with my own ing hands!” Others looked at him with shocked eyes.

“WHAT?”

“Bon appétit.” The interns turned around to see Dr. Chanyeol standing near their table, hands in his coat pockets. “I wanted to give the good news myself. As you know, the chance to enter the first surgery is given to the most successful intern. Since today the operation room belongs to me, I did the selection.” Taking pleasure from the 5 couple of eyes looking at him, shining with hope, Dr. Chanyeol continued.

“Yugyeom.”

“Huh? Me?”

“You are in the surgical team of the hemangioma operation which will be performed this afternoon. Congratulations.” Ending his announcement, the surgeon left as fast as he came.

 “Did I hear correctly?” Yugyeom asked still in shock. Suji nodded while Baekhyun digged his nails into the apple in his hand, his head hanged low, with an angry look in his eyes.

It must have been me.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“Sunbae, you saw Yugyeom’s folder. He barely made it to this hospital’s residency, as you know.”

“I know it very well. That’s why I chose him” Dr. Park flashed a knowing smile to Dr. Hyejin.

“You are doing the same thing every year anyway but…this boy…he may not be able to carry this burden” Feeling herself getting soft and hating the feeling she added “He is by all means a mama’s boy”  

“If you can man up the weakest link, you can man up all of them.” Who she was to argue with his chief anyways.

It was the same old story being told every year, again and again.

The second chapter is up! I am curious about what you think so comments would be much appreciated! Once again please keep in mind that I do not study medicine. If something is wrong, you can pm me or tell it to me in the comments. All the best :)