EP1 CH4

Doctors: First Season

Episode 1 Chapter 4

Nurse Jung was watching the fidgeting intern for the past half an hour. It was getting boring really; poor girl was looking miserable at the corner of not so busy emergency ward. Looking between Dr. Hyejin and the brunette girl, she decided to handle the situation.

“What’s wrong?” the intern turned to look at her for a brief second before turning her gaze back to the sleeping woman in the corner.

“The patient in 1217…He has taken drugs and needs antibiotics. Establishing vascular access to his central arterial route is a must.” Why was she talking like she will broke down to tears in a second?

“Then do it.” She turned to look at her before, averting her eyes slowly.

“Ohooo you don’t know how to.” She started to fidget with her fingers. It was getting amusing.

 “I just haven’t done it before” Her tone was more like convincing herself though.

“Don’t worry. Since the situation for all the interns is the same, she will not get angry at you.” Nurse Jung didn’t know if it was her words that make her approach the sleeping surgeon.

Suzy approached her sleeping chief, leaned forward towards the gurney, put her hands on her knees, took a deep breath and prayed for safety.

“Sunbae.”

“What.” Ahn Hyejin answered with a groggy voice. She didn’t even open her eyes.

“…” It’s now or never. “The patient in 1217…”

“Is he dying? Suzy thought her life choices for a second.

“Uhmm…No?”

“Then get out of here.” Blinking a couple of times, Suzy sighed and turned to leave.

I didn’t spend 6 years in university for this.

Turning around again, she put her fist in and cleared . Dr. Hyejin groaned as she sat up, her eyes opening after several twitches.

“If there is nothing serious, you are seriously in trouble.” Suzy gulped thinking she was even scarier than normal with messy hair and intense eyes.

I didn’t rot for 6 years in university for this.

After a good 4 minutes, the job was done. Suzy regretted waking up her chief as it was an easy job and it was her fear that kept her from doing it.

“The next time you wake me up, if the patient is not close to death, it means you are.” Suzy looked after Gestapo as she left the room.

I didn’t ing rot for 6 years in university for this.

“He has post-surgery pneumonitis. Give him antibiotics.” Taehyung said to the nurse beside him, while filling up the patient folder.

“Are you sure it is the right diagnosis?” Taehyung closed the folder and looked down to the nurse beside him with a mocking smirk.

“I don’t know!” he answered with a sarcastic voice. “I am an intern after all! But if you want to be sure of my decision, first study medicine for 6 years, then take the Medical Specialty Aptitude Test and pass it successfully, after all of it you can check and let me know the correct one.”

The nurse looked humiliated, not taking her eyes of the ground and Taehyung felt little, a tiny bit sorry, not that he admits.

“He has respiratory insufficiency and high fever. Give antibiotics.” The nurse nodded.

Leaving her behind, Taehyung saw Jimin filing the papers at the desk and started to walk towards him. He shook his head side to side murmuring “I hate nurses”

“Hi. What’s up?”

“I think it may not be pneumonitis. There may be a problem with his diaphragm or may be pulmonary embolism.”

“Seems like I will have to hate you too.”  Excuse me?

“Ya, who do you think you are?”

“A doctor, who do you think?” Taehyung answered with his monotone sarcastic voice. Just like he used on the nurse. Jimin was about to talk when a ring sounded from his dect.

“Off, Chul Gun again?” He murmured to himself and turned to leave, not giving Taehyung a last glance. Instead of hurrying he opted for a lazy walk, hand in her pocket. Yugyeom entered the ward as he exited the door, looking behind a sullen Jimin.

“Wow. Do you think he goes out with someone?” Taehyung asked a male nurse beside him.

“Absolutely. With such a pretty face…hmm.”

“Well, to the best of my knowledge, he is single.” Yugyeom leaned at the desk awkwardly. “If there was I would have known. Because we are friends.” He smirked (at least tried to) cockily. Taehyung gave him a incredulous look.

“I mean, we can be considered as friends.” Taehyung was getting bored. “Be-because we are talking and all…”

“God…” Taehyung was bored and left Yugyeom there stuttering. Yugyeom would never forget the pitiful look the male nurse gave him that day.

Don’t wanting to arrive at his mandatory destination, Jimin was walking as slow as possible in the corridors. A ring sounded again.

“Off WHAT HWAN WHAT?” he put his dect in his pocket again. A running nurse collided with him at that moment, making him worry. What if it’s real? He started to run for good.

MY CARRIER WILL END BEFORE IT EVEN STARTS! OG GOD I WILL BE BANNED! BLACK LISTED!

All of his worries were gone the moment he arrived at the room. His patient was in on bed, having a severe crisis, with at least 4 nurses intervening the patient. His patient.

“Where have you been? He is unconscious, having a first degree severe seizure.”

“What are you going to do?”

“Doctor?! Can you hear me?”

“Doctor! Tell us what we have to do!”

“Doctor….. Doctor….. DOCTOR!”

DOCTOR. Yes. I am a doctor. It is real. Collect yourself Jimin.

Taking the patient folder Jimin took a deep breath.

“Did you inject Diazepam?”

“I did. 10 Mg.” a nurse answered.

“Did you inform Hyejin and Jungkook Sunbae?”

“Yes!”

“Diazepam is not working!”

“Fentanyl…Inject him fentanyl!”

“Yes doctor.”

“Given!” Oh God please please just please…

“No change”

“Did you inform Jungkook sunbae?!”

“I already said yes!”

“Then ring him again! Hurry!”

“Doctor! Can you please tell us what to do?” The nurses’ patience was wearing out. Jimin was so confused. There was nothing useful in the folder and his mind was blank. He was starting to panic herself. There was a stable sound heard from the heart monitor.

“The pulse stopped!” Jimin looked at the male lying there motionless. Just a few seconds before, he was frantic in the bed because of the crisis. He was lying there with no pulse. Jimin panicked.

But he was a doctor now and he had no time to panic.

“Charge the paddles to 200!”

“Charged!”

“Move aside!” Jimin turned to look at the monitor.

“No pulse” The nurses were watching her with disappointed eyes.

“300!”

“Charged!”

“Move aside!” No pulse.

“Charge to 360!”

“49 seconds. In 60 second another med-“

“CHARGE IT!”

“Come on Chul Gun…move aside!”

“Is there something?” Please

The stable sound was replaced with constant bips.

“I see sinus rhythm!”

“Blood pressure is increasing to normal rate.”

At that moment, Dr. Jeon Jungkook made his appearance into the room.

“What happened?”

“He had a seizure and his heart stopped” Jimin answered.

“Seizure? You were supposed to watch him!”

“I was-“

“Enough. I will handle from here.” Jimin exited the room with a heavy heart. Trying to control his breathing and pushing back his tears, he lifted his eyed from the floor only to see a very angry Ahn Hyejin making her way from the end of the corridor. When they were side by side she spoke through her gritted teeth with a firm voice.

“While there was an emergency, you should have been there and inform me immediately. Every little mistake you did will cause trouble for me. Did you understand it? I don’t want any mistakes from now on.”

“You said, after the analysis, you were going to inform us but there is nothing yet.” The manager and the producer stood beside the window, talking with Dr. Jungkook and testing his patience.

“I couldn’t because we don’t know what is wrong yet.”

“What do you mean? What kind of a doctor are you? Just because it is the best hospital in South Korea, we are paying you loads and look at the answer you are giving us” The producer snapped.

“I understand your worry. We are doing everything we can but the situation may be more complicated than we think.”

“Let me tell you what I think. If you can’t discharge him from this hospital healthily, I will disgrace you and the hospital to all country” They left with their last words.

Jungkook turned to the window, watching the dusk, with a sullen expression.

“…And then I will connect you to the bypass device. This device will pump the blood instead of your heart. Thus your hearth will be okay and we are going to spate you from the machine.” Chanyeol finished explaining the surgery to the groom and bride.

“There is no risk of death, right?” the bride asked nervously. Chanyeol fidgeted a little.

“There is always a risk, even if it’s little, in every surgery. But don’t worry. I am the best in Korea in my field. ” Yugyeom looked up from patient folder to back of the surgeon’s head with a you look. “See you tomorrow in operation room.”

“Thank you doctor.” Chanyeol nodded and turn to exit. Yugyeom put the folder down and put his pen in his pocket again.

“Is he as good as he says?” the bride asked. Yugyeom stiffened for a moment and answered with a stiff voice.

“Yes. For Dr. Chanyeol, this surgey is a piece of cake. There is no need to worry.”

“I am sorry love. In our first night, in a hospital room…”

“Don’t talk like that” the bride leaned down to kiss her husband.

Well, it was Yugyeom’s cue to leave. Or so he thought.

“Doctor!” Yugyeom turn around to see the bride.

“I will ask you something. My husband…I mean…I want to do something for him. For tomorrow. Maybe he feels better this way. I don’t know about the hospital regulations though…”she gave a small smile. Yugyeom hummed.

“If it is something we can help, why not?” He smiled back.

“Thank you. You are so kind. Believe me you can’t even imagine what we had been through. I…I am so afraid to lose him.”

“Worry no more. Everything will be alright. I promise you. Tomorrow morning your husband will be beside you, safe and sound.”

“Okay?”

“Yes, thank you” The bride left with a small smile.

16th Hour

All the interns were gathered, sitting around at the small meeting room. Nobody was in the mood and with tired eyes they were looking blankly to the space.

“What are you doing?” Jimin asked looking at the thread in Baekhyun’s moving hands.

“To stay awake, I am practicing knotting.” A snort was heard.

“What are you laughing at Mr. MG?” Yugyeom’s smile fell instantly. Baekhyun is cruel.

“Oh sorry” He said soulless. “To people’s involuntary laughing features, in exchange I have involuntary snapping feature.”

Yugyeom turned to him and said “What if I say I don’t care? Hmm?”  He looked at Jimin who has a sullen look.

“You can say all you want. For a madly in love couple, I will do marvelous things.” Not really listening him, Jimin asked.

“Anyone knows why we are gathered?” The door opened to reveal an angry looking Jungkook with Gestapo in tow.

“Hello to everyone.” He started with a firm voice. “I will cut my speech short and do something which was rarely done today. ” He looked inside the room to all interns.

“I will ask help from you, the interns.” Hearing this outside the corridor Dr. Taeyong decided to listen the whole thing, leaning to doorframe.

“You all know the newly entered patient Hwan Chun Gul. We still couldn’t diagnose his disease. His analyses are clean, scanning and screening is inefficient. He is having seizures we can’t prevent and doesn’t respond to any treatment. Worst of all is, if we cannot put a name to it,” Jungkook sighed deeply “he will die.”

“I want you to research Mr. Chun Gul’s situation. Examine all the data to the every single detail. I know I ask for too much. Therefore, a person with even a little information about the disease will have an opportunity the other interns won’t be getting.” The Chief Physician was amused enough for now. With a smile he left.

“The intern will be performing the surgery with me.” Cue the whispered talks. “Okay. Okay! We have limited time. Dr. Hyejin will distribute you the patient’s story. Good luck!” He left the room rubbing his neck. God, he was so tired.

Coming to the ward again, Taehyung spotted the nurse he was assigned with.

“Did you ring me?”

“Yes. Uhmm…patient still has difficulty in breathing.”

“Wait for antibiotics to show effect.

“But it must have effected by now.”

“He is too old. He being alive is a miracle. Maybe we should not push anymore, ha? What do you say? We should not be obstinate with the one above.” Taehyung was sure the nurse got what he indented to convey. “Do not call me again for this.”

He turned to leave, unaware of 2 pairs of eyes on him. I want to punch him so much.

“Someone should say something to that jerk!”Jimin exploded.

“Jimin leave it. It’s not right to interfere someone else’s business.” Baekhyun turned to leave, Jimin in tow. “We have more important things to care of.”

“Like what?”

“I want to enter the surgery with Jungkook sunbae so much.” Jimin was not interested at all.

“Look, you have been taking care of him from the beginning. Let’s join forces. This way we both will have 50% percent chance to surgery.”

“Okay. Let’s research together but I don’t want to enter the surgery. You enter.”

“Are you crazy? I think you are not aware how big this chance is for an intern. “

“I am but…I don’t want to spend more time with Jungkook Sunbae”

“What is your problem with him?”

“Look. If we find it, you will enter the surgery. Do you want to study or not?” Baekhyun gave him a playful smile.

“With pleasure”

In a room decorated with hearts and lights the groom smiled from ear to ear.

“I can’t believe you two. You are crazy” He let out a sweet laugh.

“You are lucky to have a wife who loves you so much.”

The husband took a rose from the bouquet in his wife’s hand and hold out to Yugyeom.

“Take it. For good luck.” He looked at his wife “I hope you can fall in love as much like we did.”

Yugyeom looked at the rose for a moment.

“If you'll excuse me” He left the couple in the room. I have a bad feeling inside me.

Meanwhile two carriers were at the small library, looking through the books.

“I can’t understand. They are all clean.”

“Mine are too.” Jimin closed the folder. Baekhyun came to sit at the single sofa beside the one Jimin is sitting on.

“Are you going to tell me why you don’t want to work with Jungkook sunbae?”

“No.” Baekhyun was taken aback by the firm and quick answer.

“….”

“…”

“Can it be an infection?” Baekhyun opened his folder to check. He shook his head.

“No. White blood cell count is normal, there is no lesion in CT, his fever is low…”

“….”

“….”

“….”

“Come on tell me!” Jimin looked at him with furrowed brows. Baekhyun thought he saw that look on him since the midday.

“Okay but you won’t ask anything more”

“Call”

“We had an argument in a taxi this morning” What the does that mean?

“…”

“…”

“Can it be subarachnoid haemorrhage?” Baekhyun asked, doesn’t knowing what to say.

“There was no blood in CT. No headache either.”

“He is not using drugs. No trauma…”Baekhyun bit his lip and looked at Jimin “Were you together last night?”

“You can't be serious.”

“…”

“…”

“….”

“We can’t find anything! What is no one finds anything?”

“You mean if he dies.”

“…yes.”

“…”

“…”

“Did you take you from home in the morning?”

“No. We came across. We got into the same taxi by chance and I behave badly towards him.”

“What did he do?” Jimin sighed and answered angrily.

“Baekhyun. You promised to not ask anything more.” Baekhyun nodded blinking.

“Okay…I want to enter this operation so much; we must find something!”

“Yeah, if not he will die…We are going to get used to it right?” Jimin asked leaning against the back of the sofa.

“To what?”

“To death. We are getting sad now. It will not be like that in the future too right?” Baekhyun didn’t say anything.

“Think about it. I was so angry at him but… he is actually miserable. He did so much to put on a great display. Having tattoo for 3 hours, jumping from 5th floor-“Wait.

“Jumping from the5th floor…” Jimin started to smile like a mad person and Baekhyun decided it was scary.

“Jimin?”

“Get up we are going!”

“Where?” He asked running behind Jimin.

“Only thing he needs is an angiogram!” Baekhyun saw Jungkook getting into elevator and run Jimin behind him.

“Jungkook sunbae! One second, please!” they arrived in front of the elevator full of people making it wait.

“Mr. Chun Gul was not using a stuntman!”

“Even if he risks his own life, we need to save him.”

“He doesn’t have any head or neck ache. His CT is clear. There is not any medical evidence showing that it is arachnoid!”

“I know” pressing the button to keep it open once more Baekhyun continued.

“But it can still be subarachnoid!” Jungkook looked at the people behind him waiting for them to finish.

“There are no symptoms”

“But he jumped from the 5th floor a couple of weeks ago at a shooting” Baekhyun pressed the button again and Jungkook hear someone clear their throat at the back.

“I understand your excitement but you are wasting my time for nothing.”

“He had sprained his ankle!” button again.

“He didn’t put importance on it. He had just got up and continued!” Jimin talked this time.

“Nobody had! His doctor didn’t even put that in his folder!”  Looking behind himself Jungkook answered with a calm voice.

“What is the possibility of an unimportant fall like that to trigger subarachnoid? Exactly one in a million.” The elevator door closed for good this time. Only to open again. Dr. Jungkook came out with a half smile.

“Let’s go.”

“Where?”

“To find Chun Gul’S one in a million.” He walked away leaving happily jumping two boys behind.

“Unbelievable. Too small but it is there.” They leaned to the screen more. Jungkook turned to the interns and continued “Subarachnoid haemorrhage” Baekhyun looked up and blurted out with excitement:

“His brain is bleeding!”

“He may not have a disease as long as he lives but a blow he got on a sensitive area-“

“Triggered it!” Baekhyun completed trying to match his pace with Jungkook.

“Exactly!” The surgeon snapped his fingers. He was enjoying the happy ending of a busy day. They arrived at the desk, interns at his tows like chicks.

“Can I get Hwan Chun Gul’s folder?” He opened the folder.

“Uhmm…Jungkook sunbae. You said if we help you solve it, we can enter the surgery…” Baekhyun asked impatiently. He wanted some real action.

“Yes I did but I can’t take both of you in” He closed the folder and turned to leave; Baekhyun following him and storming out with a murderous look on his face. with the surgeon's last words.

“Jimin. You can start the preparations.”

 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello again! I was gone for a while because I was on vacation but now I am back. I will try to update more frequently. And please try to comment because it makes me happy and I am curious about what you think of this story and the characters :) 

What do you think will happen in the next chapter?