EP1 CH3

Doctors: First Season

Episode 1 Chapter 3

 

 

“Excuse me, miss! Which room belongs to Mr. Hwan Chul Gun may I ask?”

“Go left from here; it’s at the end of the corridor.” The nurse answered to the two panting man in suits. Finding the room and going in quickly, they neared the bed to take a closer look at the sleeping man.

“We came as soon as we got the news. What’s wrong?” the slightly shorter man wearing a black suit asked.

“A tranquillizer is given to him because of the attack. So he is kind of drowsy.” Jimin answered.

“Is he going to heal? When can he be discharged?” the other man spoke this time.

“Is surgery necessary? They said something like that on phone.”

“Uhm…are you his relatives?”

“I am his manager.” Short man began. “And this mister beside me is the producer of the series he plays in. We can be considered as his relatives. Look, Hwan Chul needs to heal and be on set as soon as possible. Or else the episode can’t be done until the broadcast. When can you release him?”

“Uhm.. I am not a doctor…I mean I am not his doctor! I…Me…Let me call him!” Jimin turned around leave. Walking down the corridor with the patient folder in his hands, he saw the Gestapo getting out of the elevator.

“Sunbae! Sunbae! The manager and the producer of the Mr. Hwan have arrived. They want to get information. Who are they supposed to talk with; you or Chanyeol sunbae?”

“Neither of us. Mr. Hwan is transferred to Dr. Jeon Jungkook. Look he is here.” She pointed to a man talking with other doctors near a full length window before leaving. This spares me the search.

Wait.

He looks familiar…Isn’t he that…

His eyes got twice their sizes and he gasped with horror.

What the universe?

At that moment, Dr. Jungkook looked up and their eyes met. Jimin can see the recognization in his eyes; he could swear he saw his smirk forming in slow motion.

ABORT MISSION! ABORT THE ING MISSION!

Seeing the boy he met this morning turn around in hurry and leave Jungkook politely informed his colleagues about his leave and took off after the boy. Reaching for the intern’s arm he leaned to his ear and whispered.

“Can we talk for a second?” dragging him in front of another full length window, he turned the boy around to face him.

“Jungkook sunbae, I…”

“Jungkook sunbae? What happened to the douche bag? When you expel me from the taxi this morning you were saying ‘douche bag’; now I promoted to being a sunbae?” His voice was dripping with sarcasm, making Jimin panicking more.

“Jungkook sunbae, I really am ashamed. If I apologize, can we forget all of this?”

“Which one? You insulting me and expelling me from the taxi or you throwing an umbrella to my head?”

“All of it…” Jimin said with a small voice.

“Impossible. They all will stay as separate wounds in me. ”

“I am sincerely sorry! I don’t do indelicacies normally! I…was angry at something else. It has nothing to do with you!”  Crossing his arms, Jungkook raised one of his brows.

“So you took your anger out on me, is that it?” Feeling himself getting smaller by the second, Jimin answered dejectedly.

“I just…I lost myself for a moment. I got sad afterwards, too.”

“I would have gotten sad too. The most handsome and charismatic surgeon in Seoul gets on to your taxi, and you kick him out of it.”

“Alright, okay. What I did was wrong but…I can’t say I agree to all of what you said.”

“Like which one?” Jungkook asked suddenly having a defensive tone. Pretending to think for a second, Jimin tried to hold his laughter in.

“The most handsome part.” Looking at himself, Jungkook countered.

“Maybe I am not with this white coat but I was pretty okay this morning.”

“Jungkook sunbae. Let me apologize one more time, so you can forget this incident. Please.”

“….”

“….”

“….”

“….”

“Actually, it’s a tough situation. In cases which medicine can’t solve the case, it can be needed to consult some alternative ways” Not getting the point, Jimin gave him a confused look. Cute.

“Like what?”

“Like going out to a diner with the handsome you met this morning.” Looking around frantically, anywhere but the man in front of him, Jimin was totally frustrated. He frowned deeply.

“I am sorry but I decline. You are a surgeon and I am your intern! For me this is like…” Looking up accidentally and meeting the man’s eyes, Jimin’s voice betrayed him.

I want to get lost in his eyes. After some really intense mutual staring, Jimin finally was able to gather himself together.

“Don’t look at me like that.”

“Like what?” Loving the frustrated expression on Jimin’s face, Jungkook gave him a fake little pout. Putting his lips together to suppress his smile but giving it out anyways, Jimin turned to leave.

“Like that…”

Dear God! I am begging to you! Please help me! Don’t let me fail! If I can get it done with successfully, I will sacrifice a turkey for you! I beg you” In a surgical apron, bouffant cap and mask, Yugyeom said his last pleadings, his hands up in the air towards the sky.

“Open, define, remove, clean, close” repeating it to himself, Yugyeom walked slowly to the operation table. Up in the small room, interns were sitting and waiting for the operation to begin.

“He is going to faint before even starting.” Taehyung said with a smirk and took a bite from his apple.

“Dude, I think it’s going to be worse. 100% he is going to pee himself” said a bald male assistant from the first row, turning around to face them, making the other bearers laugh.”

“In my opinion, he will be petrified! He will have to go through treatment first to go out of the operation room.” Another one said.

“I bet 20 bucks for the beginning of a life time long panic attack” Taehyung took another bite.

“Dude, I bet 25! I will cry like a baby!” the bald man countered.

“50!” All the interns turned to look at Jimin. “He is going to make it! He is one of us! Where is your team spirit?” People in other teams are all jerks! Wait…my team has Taehyung still. May be he is not that bad…

“75 bucks. He won’t even be able to locate the myxoma.”  With one last bite on his apple, Taehyung threw it to the trash bin from his seat.

He is that bad.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Down at the surgery room, Dr. Chanyeol came in and stood behind the scared duckling.

“Alright, Yugyeom.  Let’s see what you can do.”

“Yes, sunbae.” Yugyeom sighed deeply. GOD PLEASE!  

“Scalpel.” When he got the tool, applause voices were heard from the lounge. Looking up, Yugyeom saw the smiling faces of his new teammates. Or should I say friends?

Making a throat cutting gesture with his thumb, Chanyeol made cut the applause immediately.

“It will be hard to deal with this one. Chanyeol sunbae will run us all ragged.” Baekhyun rolled his eyes, not pleased with Chanyeol.

“Press it harder. Human skin is hard. It’s unlike the cadavers you see in school.” Finally making the cut, Yugyeom gave the tool back.

“Forceps…Clamp…I am in.” Chanyeol nodded. Getting excited at this, Jimin smiled widely.

“Prepare your moneys. I’ll win!”

“Scalpel…I caught the Myxoma” He slowly removed the mass from the heart and put in the tray. The applause has died a second after it started with a look from Chanyeol.

“Not bad.”

“Thank you.”

“Now try to be calm. The only thing you need to do is carefully sewing the veins. Follow the sutures…Be careful…Don’t break of the thread.”

It was this moment the thread had broke.

Yugyeom looked at the piece in his hand with shocked eyes.

“It’s bleeding. What will you do now?” He was frozen.

“Think…Aspire it! Look for the sutures before he is dead! Jei, give him the clamp!” Yugyeom looked at his bloody hands.

“His blood pressure is going down! Patient is about to be asphyxiated!” a woman voice came. Yugyeom was still frozen, looking at his bloody hand.

“Get yourself together. NOW!” he turned to look at Chanyeol and looked down to the patient again.

“Be quick! What are you waiting for?”

“Dr. Chanyeol, the blood pleasure has hit its minimum!”

“ASPIRE IT!” he barked. Yugyeom didn’t move. “MOVE ASIDE! Duffer!” Pushing him with his shoulder Chanyeol took his place.

“Take him out of this room!...Aspire it! Clamp!” Yugyeom turned to look at the lounge just to see disappointment on his colleagues’ faces.

“It’s too late. From now on he is a MG…” Taehyung sighed. Although he was cruel about reality, it didn’t mean he didn’t feel sad about Yugyeom.

“Definitely.” The bald said. Turning to Jimin, Suji asked.

“What is ‘MG’?” Jimin sighed heavily.

“Morgue Guard.”

“They will all me MG from now on in this hospital. Maybe even after that.” Yugyeom plucked some grass and threw it.

“Don't talk nonsense! Nothing will happen.” Jimin said with his mouth full with the apple he bit.

“Tch! Even when they are passing by, they whisper ‘Morgue Guard’ to me.” He said dejectedly.

“Why do you take it on yourself?” Suji said still stretching on grass. Baekhyun was laid down; reading a medicine book and Taehyung was taking the sun in.

“Are they not talking about me? Okay but, who else can it be?”

“Offf…Enough! Aren’t you bored talking about this?” Baekhyun snapped turning to Yugyeom. “Why does it matter what others say about you? As long as you know you don’t deserve them, it’s okay.”

“Of course! It doesn’t bother you anyway! If I studied medicine in English, graduated and entered this residency with the top ranking, I would be probably relaxed too.” Turning back to his book, Baekhyun didn’t even answer.  A ring was heard and Jimin stood up in a second.

“! An emergency call for Mr. Hwan!” running and wearing his coat at the same time, he left like that.

“I would have chosen forensic medicine instead of surgical. Since it’s impossible to kill the dead people again, at least I would be free from trouble.” Taehyung gave a laugh.

“Surgical is y. Surgeons always skim the cream of everything. Lovers, career…” Taking a half sitting position Taehyung looked into Yugyeom’s eyes and continued.

“Forensic is for people who lives with their mothers and have no life.” Nodding his head Yugyeom looked away sadly.

“I am DEFINITELY in the wrong place.”

“You came quicker than expected.” Hwan Chul Gun said with a grimace on his face and a breathless voice.

“Since it’s an emergency call I came as soon as possible. Are you okay?” Suddenly smiling, the actor sat up.

“I am fit as fiddle” Looking at the shocked look on Jimin’s face, the actor leaned back comfortably.

“To be able to see you as soon as possible, I acted up a little.”

“Acted up?”

“Yes! Tricking the nurses was a piece of cake for me.” He said, playing with the oxygen mask in his hands. He took it to his mouth and deeply breathed. “I am a successful actor after all.” Jimin was slowly getting over his shock and grasping the situation.

“I thought, in this boring place, you have a right to have some fun too!”

“Look here! This is a hospital and I have my hands full with work! I don’t even have a minute to get bored!” His voice got louder at the end.

“You know what? No one said no to me before. Carriers always come after me. And now I am going after you.” He smirked and Jimin wanted to deny his Hippocratic Oath.

“Working hard for something you want…it’s a weird feeling.”

“Oh really, Mr. Swindler actor. Welcome to the real world then.”