EP2 CH2

Doctors: First Season

Episode 2 Chapter 2

Jimin stood behind the window, watching Yugyeom making tragicomic faces right beside him. Jimin admitted himself that a long time ago; he was more amused watching Yugyeom’s happy silly faces more than watching the little cutie newborns. Yugyeom was happy, the babies couldn’t even open their eyes but he was still ecstatic even if their chest had gone up and down since they basically breathed. Jimin was glad he had listened to Yugyeom, he was feeling a lot better. Gotta buy you a thank you coffee later.

“You know what? You are still one of them. You totally belong here.”

Yugyeom was long gone with Jimin’s smile, he is smiling to me, he forgot about the counterattack of how manly he was. A bip sounding from his pager put the poor guy from his cloud nine stage. He let out a sad sigh, even his voice taking a bored monotone tone.

“Emergency. Unfortunately I must go.”

Yugyeom turned around and left with heavy steps despite he was called for an emergency while Jimin just crossed his arms, opting to stay for a while longer. A warm smile spread over his plump lips, watching the little ones turn around and sleep. You are magnificent; all of you are a miracle. Suddenly getting out of his dream-like stage with a loud cry, Jimin’s eyes found the source of it. The baby was red, he was crying so loud and he was so so red, there was something wrong. There had to be something wrong. It was not normal.

The pediatric department intern was not having the best day of her life. She had to deal with whiny parents and her ill-pleased chief for the entire day without an ooze of sleep in the span of 32 hours. On top of it all, seeing a surgical intern doing a check up on one of her assigned newborns was not something she wanted to deal with.

“What are you doing here? You can’t enter here!” Jimin stood his ground although he knew she was right.

“This baby has heart murmur.”

“Give that to me!” The brunette girl took the patient record from Jimin’s hands with a rush.

“He got cyanosis a while ago!”

“You don’t have any authority over this department!” Oh my ing god!

“I know it, okay? But the baby-“

“Then you also know how big of a trouble you put yourself in.” Jimin took a deep breath, trying to calm down.

“Look, we can fight about this later. But you need to do echo to this baby” The female carrier crossed his arms.

“It’s benign. It’s just a murmur due to systolic injection. That’s all it is.” Park Jimin was so not amused.

“You won’t lose an arm because you did echo!”

“It’s not your playground you can’t interfere with my business.” As much as Jimin wanted to protest, she was right.

“Get out now.”

Jimin took his leave with fast, frustrated steps. His phone rang at the same time with his first step out of the door.

“Hello?........ Did you find him? Is he fine?........ Alright. Thank you so much.”

Suzy was stuck. She tried everything. All that tests can’t be wrong. Maybe she was too tired to think anything better today. Good thing was she had friend to help her and she was just going to do that.

“Baekhyunnnn….” She reached to Baekhyun’s side at the desk, just as he looked up.

 “Yes?”

“I don’t know what to do with that little girl. All of her tests are clean. There is nothing sore to eyes either. “

“Sooooo, just discharge her” He lost interest in the conversation and turned back to his patient records.

“I can’t. She is insisting about being sick.” Both carriers looked at the girl for a brief while. “also, her mother is nowhere to be found.”

“Sooooo???” Suzy gave Baekhyun the most adorable smile she can muster.

“I was thinking, maybe, you can check her out”

“I want to enter a ing surgery, here you are telling me to check a patient who is not even sick!” Suzy was a little taken aback with the outburst. “God! Give me some ing patience!”

Suzy pouted a little turning back to the girl, only to see her face change from relieved to pain in a second. Something is not right….

---------------------------------------

Surgical intern Park Jimin was watching the operation of Coronal Surgeon Jeon Jungkook to learn and add something for his bright future as a surgeon. That was the only reason. Yeah. Also, the reason for his leave before the end of the operation was purely based on his boredom. Not that Doctor Jeon caught him staring or something….yeah. He aimlessly walked out the door, passed the short corridor and turned the corner. He walked slowly to the bench, taking a seat next to the fiancée.

“Don’t worry. The operation is going on with on complications.” The boy gave his own warm smile to Jimin’s own.

“I know but I can’t help it. When a person is in love, thinking logically is impossible. I am sure you would know it the best” The intern was confused.

“Me?” He gave a shy nod with a smile.

“When I first met my fiancée, I had the same smile you have on my face for weeks.”

Jimin smiles a little, out of words, but also feeling warm.

Jungkook came out of the door, wiping his forehead with his arm. His cap had made him sweat for hours. He noticed Jimin seating on the hospital bench first, and then his brain comprehended a young boy running toward him, falling in front of his eyes.

“Are you okay?” He kneeled to help the fiancée, seeing the intern beside him from the corner of his eyes.

“I am. It’s like… it’s like I couldn’t control my legs for a minute” The intern’s and surgeon’s knowing eyes met.

“How was the operation?” Young boy was having trouble standing straight without swaying, wiping his own sweat with the back of his hand. Jungkook dismissed the question quickly.

“Good. Everything is fine. On the other hand, I think you need a checkup” The boy already turned around and walked slowly to the bench again, sitting down. “I want to run some tests”

“No need, really.”

“Please take my words seriously.”

That stern look I saw at that moment, it belongs to a surgeon. There his boundary lies.

“Did I make a mistake entering the best hospital in Korea?”

“Best people belong in best places.” Maybe Taehyung was talking for himself, not for the depressed Baekhyun in front of him. The shorter one raised his head from his hands after a while turning to Taehyung, not that he was talking to him or anything.

“If I was in some random state hospital now, there would be hundreds of patients who need me. But I am wasting time here with insignificant errands.” Yeah, like every patient is dying for you to treat them. Taehyung almost mocked him.  Almost. He was happy with just watching the shorter in misery too. He just shook his head, grinning amused.

“Our best option is, you take the half of it and I take the other half” Baekhyun divides the folders in half, giving one pile to Taehyung. “It will be done faster this way.”

“It’s certain I’ll be done faster without you” Baekhyun raised his eyebrows, smirking not amused.

“Are you calling me slow?” Taehyung leaned down a little to shorter one’s face level, challenging back.

“Yes”

“I can’t wait to see the look on your face when I am done with these”

“In fact, I am the one waiting for that”

With one last challenging look, both interns walked, fast walked and later opted for running to their respective patient rooms, which happened to be across each other, shutting the doors with a bang.

“What does it mean?”  Baekhyun put his pen in his pocket again with a sigh.

“It means we will not be cutting your leg”

“It means we won’t be taking your kidney out of your body”

“It means you can go home now”

“Contrasts, et cetera, et cetera” Taehyung swayed both his hands in the air with a bored expression.

 One hug for Baekhyun, Taehyung dodging another hug, Baekhyun getting another 15 and also being hand feed with homemade kimchi by the wife of a patient. It was banned for the husband and Baekhyun really couldn’t take any more whining about it.

“Dr. Park! Dr. Park!” Dr. Chanyeol turned around to see intern Jimin calling his name, taking his pocket out of his coat.

“What!” Jimin has arrived to his side at this while.

“There is a baby at pediatric department. I saw symptoms of tetralogy of fallot and heard murmur.”

“Did they ask for help?”

“No! The opposite, they are not doing anything!” Chanyeol let out a loud sigh, trying to stay calm.

“Then what do you want from me?”

“If you examine the baby just once-“

“Not before a consultation from pediatrics”

“But you-“

“I have no interest in ‘buts’” Jimin would have laughed at this if he wasn’t so desperate right now. “I am only interested in rules “

“You can’t interfere with other departments.”

“Are you the one looking for home mates?” Jimin raised his eyes from his coffee to see two girls standing in front of him.

“Ye-”

“How’s the house? How much is the rent? Is it just us 3 or mor-?

“Rock or hip hop?”

“What?”

“You heard me. Rock or hip hop?”

“Rock!”  “Hip hop!” Jimin gave a little grin to girls, slowly getting up from the bench. It was getting cold anyways. He started to walk, not even sparing them another gaze.

“So? What’s the answer?”

“Neither. The answer is neither.” He smiled to himself again, humming a soft ballad under his breath, continuing toward the hospital under confused gaze of two nurses.

Meanwhile Taehyung and Baekhyun were running through corridors, Yugyeom was announcing yet another person he couldn’t save dead and Suzy was still having trouble with a little girl.

 In the meantime, Dr. Chanyeol was struggling with his own questions.

“Why?” Taeyoung was starting to get bored with the same question.

“Because you need to deserve being a chief.”

“I deserve it more than anyone else. Because I work. A. lot.” Taeyong gave a small smile. He was expecting this after all.

“No. You work as much as needed.” Dr. Chanyeol was getting frustrated with this. It was not right. Was it? “You are not taking one more step or thinking for one more second than needed. It’s needed Dr. Park. It’s not more nor deserved. You are at easy. Arrogant. I don’t like it“

“If you want to be a chief, you need to do more than needed”  

More than needed.

Dr. Jungkook was on a break and making the best of it watching the sunset from the big glass wall he was standing behind. It was understandable; he was tired and needed a little get away from his thoughts about a certain intern.

“Hello Dr. Jeon” Apparently, that certain intern was not going to let him.

“Here is the most beautiful place in this hospital.” Jungkook slowly turned to face the intern. Jimin was beautiful, there was no denying it.

“I don’t know. Maybe…”

“I asked you out on diner twice and you rejected me for the both of them. Why?” Jimin was fidgeting under his gaze.

“Because…you know…that…” Jungkook gave a small smirk at his speechlessness.

“As I predicted.” He took a couple of steps towards the smaller one; their face is just inches away. “Run all you want. We are always going to be this close. Maybe closer sometimes. You can’t escape from that.” Jimin took little steps back, looking out the window to cool down for a bit.

“It’s not ‘running away’. It’s better to call it ‘seeing the boundary between us’ “

“I don’t see any boundaries. Which means it’s only in your head. Believe your surgeon, I am an expert.” Jungkook grinned playfully, personally thinking it was a charming joke. Jimin was serious as ever though.

“You are my boss-

“And”

“ –and this is so wrong ethically. For me at least. As a matter of fact, more for you.”

“Moreover for the whole Korea it’s a life and death situation, isn’t it?” Jimin was not expecting this sarcasm. He was just…just…

“Stop making excuses for your fears. Only then you can come over your fears and be here”

Here beside me.

Hello and I am alive. I was away from my computer for the whole time so I couldn't update. Here you go! Please give me your feedback adn drop a comment. It means a lot. :)