EP1 CH5

Doctors: First Season

Episode 1 Chapter 5

Baekhyun was sitting cross legged on one of the benches, twisting a empty water bottle in his hands like wanting to rip it off, Suzy beside him trying to talk to him for the past 10 minutes but always ending up getting an angry look.

“Look mayb-“

“Suzy.” Baekhyun snapped without looking her. He lifted his eyes from the ground to look at the newly entered person.

“I am going to tell Jungkook sunbae I don’t want to enter the surgery” Jimin spoke with a timid voice.

“You don’t need to do favor to me” Baekhyun said with a firm voice.

“Look, to explain th-“

“Enough!” Baekhyun snapped with a louder voice through his gritted teeth “I don’t want to hear”

He was looking at him like that. Like the people at the university. With angry and judging eyes. Judging him because of his father. He didn’t want this. This was supposed to be a new era for him. Nobody should have known it. Or maybe he was just too paranoid to think it.

“Keep your crocodile tears for the others.”

“I just-“ Baekhyun got up in a flash, his voice louder than ever.

“I. Give. Zero. s. About. You. Okay?” He said looking intensely to Jimin’s eyes, swinging the twisted bottle with every word. “I do not dally with my chief to enter a surgery and didn’t come to this hospital with my father pulling strings.”

“Baekhyun-“

“Unfortunately some of us have to work hard to success” He tossed the bottle into the trash been harder than necessary and left the room.

It’s happening. It is happening again.

Let me go! I want to leave” A woman wearing old ripped hanbok cried desperately to the two polices holding her arms. There was a crowd behind her watching the scene; why was no one doing anything?

I am begging you please let me go! Let me go! LET ME GO!

“Oh my god. Seriously what is her problem” the police said.

“We do not understand you” the other tried this time.

I have to go” She continued sobbing “They know I am alive! They will come here too!

“Okay calm down” he tried again. He had no idea what was going on.

They are going to kill me!

“Move aside!... One second!... Pardon!” Baekhyun came out among the crowd. He grabbed her biceps firmly and made her look at him.

Don’t be scared. Shhh. Nobody can kill you.”

I need to hide. Police can’t protect me. My brothers will find and kill me!” She kneeled and hugged Baekhyun’s legs. “Please protect me!

Baekhyun reached out to her and spoke with a soft voice.

Don’t be afraid. You are safe here.” He saw a redness from the corner of her eyes. “Stop, look, your arm is bleeding. Stop struggling and come with me, okay?

Don’t leave me” She reached at his hand and snuggled her face to it while still crying hysterically. “Please don’t leave me.

Okay it’s all finished now.”

“Please don’t leave me”

“Don’t be scared. Come on.”

Baekhyun felt like throwing up. It was happening in his province. He heard her talking in their language and he did too. Nobody could understand her beside him. Both the language and the pain.

This world was rotten to the core.

Getting out of the toilet Jimin walked towards the small window of the door, which showcases hearts literally everywhere and a happily sleeping couple, wearing a hospital gown and a wedding dress. At least some people are happy. He stood there watching the couple sleep soundly.

“What a beautiful couple.” He turned around to see Dr. Jungkook standing a few steps behind him.

“Is apologizing that hard?” Again? Will he not get over it?

“Who?” Jimin gave him an incredulous look “Me? Am I supposed to apologize?”

“Whatever I forgave you anyway.” ????? Ohkayyyy…why is he looking at me like that?

“Why did you choose me for the surgery?” Jungkook shrugged.

“Because I want to impress you.” What the kkk? Jimin was flustered to the hell fidgeting in his place.

“I’m joking.” Jungkook waited for Jimin to recover with a light smile. Cute.

“I don’t want to enter the surgery. Allow Baekhyun to enter.”

“No. From the first day, contrary to lack of experience, you saved the life of a patient. Thus you deserve that surgery more than anyone else.”

“…” Jimin sighed deeply. “You are right.”

“Then see you later at surgery” Dr. Jungkook took his leave. Jimin continued to watch the hearts, but this time with a soft smile on his lips.

There was another person watching inside a room too. He was not happy and there was not a trace of smile on his face. Baekhyun felt someone approaching from behind.

“Doctor, will you help us?”Baekhyun turned to the police with a broken smile.

“About what?”

“We still couldn’t get her statement. She doesn’t talk to us. How did she get poisoned, what was she doing in that desolate road…” Baekhyun turned to him again with a sarcastic smile.

“You don’t need her to understand what’s going on. If you are reading newspaper even a bit, you’d know.” His voice was getting louder as he got angrier.

“Family council had decided. They are going to kill their 16 years old carrier daughter for a matter of honor. They lie, saying they are going out for a drive. They hand the raticide poisoned food to their daughter and watch her die in front of their own eyes, the carrier’s eyes looking directly into their eyes.” He nods toward the room. “Then you throw them to a desolate road just like this.”

“…They are just predictions. We need evidences.” Baekhyun rolled his eyes because how stupid can he get?

“This has no evidence, officer. No one sees, hears and knows. Her words vs. her whole family’s.” he let out another broken smile. “Albeit, she will deny her words once she sees her family because of fear. And you will hand over her to his family, like nothing happened! Then they will finish what they started.”

“You may be right but we do what the law states. Whether you like it or-“

“I don’t like it.” He snapped. “I am not letting you kill Kungri.”

Next morning, Yugyeom settled down behind the mirror of the surgery room to watch Dr. Chanyeol perform the operation. He waited for a couple of hours, keeping himself occupying with studying, occasionally looking up to see the situation. While he was not looking though, Dr. Chanyeol declared it.

“Time of death: 10.34AM”

Yugyeom saw his sunbae exiting the door, surprised but cheerful nothingless. “So quick?”

“His heart couldn’t handle the surgery.” He got ready to wash his hands. “he couldn’t get off the table…Sometimes…no matter how you slice it, you can’t save them.”

Yugyeom’s mind felt blank.

“I-I promised his wife.” Chanyeol turned sharply to look at him. “I said he will be alright.”

“You did what?! Who are you to promise in the name of MY patient?!”

“But he was so young…and they were madly in love…I thought-“

“You thought?! Did I make a promise? Only God can give a promise like that and I haven’t seen him perform a surgery before. Since you are a very important person to make a promise like that, you will also tell her yourself that her husband died. ”

The first thing Kunggi saw when she woke up in the morning was the kind doctor that helped her watching her.

“Thank you” she said with a heavy dialect. Baekhyun was surprised to hear that.

“Do you know Korean?”

“Hmm. I do.”

“Why did you behave like you don’t?”

“I was afraid. I was afraid they would push me to talk. Actually I know it changes nothing. My fate is already written” She said tearing up.

“Don’t worry. I will help you.”

“I wish everything was that easy.” A single tear escaped her eyes.

“It will. I am beside you Kungri.”

“It doesn’t help. There is no solution…have you ever heard of a survivor?” Baekhyun looked away dejectedly.

“I should accept my fate too.”

“No. This will not be your fate.” He crossed his arms. “You are going to be happy like everybody else.”

“For years, as it came like this; it will go like this. No one ever had enough power to change it.” She turned to look at his eyes, conveying so many emotions at once. “Yours will not be enough either.”

“You know it as much as I do. But thank you anyways.” Baekhyun sniffed a little.

“Come on, don’t think about it. You need to rest.” He left immediately, turning his face away from her. This world was so ing rotten to the core.

“At least take off your wedding dress. How ridiculous.”

“Mother. My husband will take off this wedding dress.” Yugyeom watched the exchange from the door window. “If necessary, I will wait 40 nights and days.” Her mother was not amused one bit. Opening the door Yugyeom went in slowly.

“Is the surgery done?” He nodded.

“Where is he? When will they take him here?” Yugyeom looked them with a gravy look.

“There were some complications during the surgery and…” He heard the broken gasps of the bride. I can’t do this.

“Don’t you say…is he?” I can’t do this.

“Mother! Doctor? What are you trying to say?” I can’t say it.

“Your husband’s heart couldn’t bear the surgery. They backed down from the bypass but it was…” I can’t. “I am so sorry for your husband.”

Yugyeom saw the bouquet fall in slow motion, at the same time with bride’s tears.

“Lies. You are lying. My husband is not death, RIGHT?”

“I-“

“YOU PROMISED ME! YOU SAID HE WILL LIVE!” Yugyeom felt like every word bride let out was scraped painfully to his heart. His vision was getting blurry, he was hardly breathing.

“I-I am so sorry. I really am…” Bride was having a hysteric attack. 

“GOD DAMN YOU!”

“I-“

“GET OUT OF HERE! GET OUT” Her mother hugged her daughter to herself while Yugyeom exited the room with a heavy hearth.

24Th hour

“Wait! Wait! Don’t hang on me! Dang it! They hang on me again!” Baekhyun told Suzy, who was on another phone trying to help too. “If the same woman comes out aga- HELLO? Hello I am doctor Byun Baekhyun; we have talked before…I am calling for a 16 years old girl threatened to kill by her family…Look, police says they can’t do anything too… Violence against carriers, traditions…It doesn’t get solved with writing a research on solutions on honor killings…Thank you for doing nothing! ”

He slammed the phone down, watching Suzy do the same gently.

“ What do you have?”

“Nothing. You?”

“Nothing! How can there be nothing? How come no one does a thing about it? I can’t believe it. But no not this time. If necessary I will even call the president a thousand times. There must be a way, right?” He dialed again.

“Hello?”

“I would have been a teacher. Or a cook. “Jimin said stirring his coffee. Yugyeom turned to look at him.

“I could have been a tailor. Then everything would be better.”

“I would make a really good grocer. I always wanted to be one when I was a child. It always smelled like biscuits, so nice.” Jimin smiled softly.

“Why did you become a doctor then?”

“I have a regular reason. My mom insisted. You can’t say no to her. Even at home when she is together with my aunts, you don’t want to oppose them.” Yugyeom sighed deeply. “Now that I am a doctor, they are so proud of me.” He let out a small laugh.

“Like I am saving the world. They are behaving like I am a superhero” Jimin watched him with a soft smile.

“I chose it secretly from my father. He never wanted me to be a doctor. But I chose it nothingless.” He breathed deeply. He loved the scent of hospital garden; it calmed him down. “When he heard I succeed, he told me one thing: You will never succeed Jimin, because you are ineligible.”

“You are not good enough.”

 “The patient still has difficulty in breathing.”

“Did you look at the chest x-ray?”

“Yes I did. One second.” Taehyung fiddled with the folder.

“Come on son, we don’t have all day. Results?” Dr. Taeyong asked.

“I was so busy yesterday, sunbae.”

“Tell me the reasons for high fever after surgery.”Taehyung reached to his pocket to get his booklet.

 “Not from the book. From your head.” He put it back to his pocket. “When I was working for the government, I was treating at least 200 patients per day. If you try to look at the book for every one of them, you can’t be a doctor. Everything will be inside your head! You are not going to be opinionated! You are going to be a doctor! A doctor!”

“The reasons…Uhmm”

“IS THERE A HUMAN BEING WHO CAN TELL ME THE REASONS FOR HIGHFEVER AFTER SURGERY?” He looked the emergency ward to find all the interns looking elsewhere.

“Ah ah… opinionated minds!”

“Livers, urea, infection, immobility and medications; 5 reasons. Mostly, it is the livers. It can be a diaphragmatic problem or pneumonitis. If you are too busy to make the analysis, diagnosing it with pneumonitis is taking the easy way out.” Jimin said giving Taehyung a subtle look.

“What do you think is the patient’s disease?” Jimin thought for a while.

“I think its immobility. The strongest candidate is pulmonary embolism.”

“How did you diagnose it?”

“Spinal CT, VQ scan, oxygen supplement,... I would want an IBC filter with heparin.”

Taeyong was impressed. Really impressed. He turned to look at the intern behind him.

“Have you at least managed to write down what he said, huh?”

“Yes sunbae.” Taehyung answered.

“Also tell your chief that I remove you from this case.” He started to walk towards Jimin, the others going back to their jobs.

“I would recognize you everywhere. You look just like your father” He gave him a sincere smile.

“Welcome among us, Doctor Jimin.”

Doctor Jimin. I can get used to that.

“Alright colleagues, if everyone is ready we are going to save a life.” Surgeon Jungkook took his position beside the patient. Jimin slowly walked towards the gurney, dazed, having a lot in his mind.

What do I want from life? Love? Money? Health? Or is it all of it? Choosing one is not easy. But I decided it at last. I just want to feel alive. Too happy and too sad.

Suzy was waiting beside a sleeping chief once again with a x-ray scan in her hands, approaching her slowly.

Too tired and too comfortable. Too confused. Too embrassed. Too… I want to feel every moment in my life in “too”

Jimin looked up to became eye to eye with Jungkook. The surgeon beckoned him beside to have a look.

Therefore, surgeoncy is actually meant for me. We live everything at extremes. You save people’s lives.

Jimin looked up to the lounge only to see Baekhyun looking down with envy. They made eye contact for a second. Jimin walked beside Jungkook nothingless.

Or you watch them slip away between your hands.

Maybe I can admit to myself one day that in my first surgery, I looked at the surgeon more than the surgery going on. One day.

After checking on his patient, Doctor Jungkook stopped by the desk to fill out the forms. Feeling eyes on himself, he turned her right only to find Jimin looking at him with a soft smile. He smiled back because how can you not? Look at him.

“I never felt something like this before. I have always worked on cadavers until now, I observed. I thought I knew what and how I feel. But entering a real surgery was breathtaking” Jimin smiled a blinding smile, his puffy eyes turning to crescents. And Jungkook thought he have never seen anything more beautiful.

“I need to go check on Mr. Hwan.”

“Okay.”

“See you.”

“You too.”

“…”

“…”

“I’ll go now.”

“Okay” Jimin smiled softly as Jungkook took his leave.

Jimin was leaning to railings looking at the entrance, doing literally nothing. He felt a presence beside him and he found Baekhyun standing there, his hands in his pockets.

“You know what I want to say; and I know what you want to say. Therefore there is no need to spend energy on talking”  Jimin smiled softly.

“Yes. Then tell me something I don’t know”

“You don’t know Kungri.”

“The girl her family tries to kill?”

“Yes. The government will give her back to the family. And I can’t do anything about it. I tried everything. I called every number I found. I called so much that they don’t even answer anymore.”

“Maybe I can help you.”Jimin gave a mocking smile.”To put it right, my father’s strings can.”

Baekhyun gave him a tired smile.

“Previous minister of health was my father’s classmate.” Baekhyun finally saw that light.

Hope had shine brighter than ever.

“Wow. Look at that! After accusing you using strings while I did the deed.”

“Well, you are not allowed to talk like that ever again.”Their happy conversation was cut off by Suzy’s frantic voice behind them.

“BAEKHYUN!” Baekhyun hummed happily in response.

“Kungri’s brother took her off from the hospital”

“What?...WHEN?! HOW CAN THEY LET IT HAPPEN?!”

“She had given her consent to go. They had gone out a couple of minutes ago!”

Hearing this Baekhyun started dashing towards the gates.

“Baekhyun, where are you going? Suzy go inform the police, I will follow him!”

“KUNGRI!”

Jimin was sure they were running for more than 45 minutes now. There was not a trace present and Baekhyun was going erratic.

“Baekhyun! You saw it too! They are gone, not here! Let’s go bac-”

“I have to find them Jimin! I HAVE TO FIND THEM!”

A gunshot was heard.

Baekhyun dashed towards the sound manically only to find a crowd over a body. Getting closer, He got through the crowd and reached the body.

“Kungri! Oh god! What are you looking at? Call the ambulance! Jimin she is losing so much blood, we have to take her back immediately! Oh god!”

“I will go call the ambulance.”

“Kungri hold on! I am sorry, I will save you please. Kungri! Please! I can do it! I will make a change! Just please hold on!”

Baekhyun saw how the hope faded away with the light in her eyes.

“KUNGRI!”

“1, 2, 3, 4, 5, I am sorry, I am so sorry…I am…” Behind Baekhyun, a male fell onto his knees, watching the scene before him. His hand letting out the gun, allow it to hit the ground.

“Kungri…” Baekhyun stopped counting, his vision blurry. He sat there, in the middle of a crowd with a lifeless body before him and its murderer behind him.

37th hour

“Do you remember you said I can sell the house whenever I want?” The old man looked at Jimin with empty eyes.

“I won’t sell it. It is my home from now on. But it’s too big for me. So I need to find a housemate.”

“Are you a doctor?” Jimin’s face fell.

“Yes. I am. But not your doctor.”

“Do I know you?” Jimin closed his eyes tightly.

“Father…” He reached for his hands. “It’s me, Jimin”

“Jimin?...I was a doctor too in the past…I think”

“Yes. You were.” He sniffed subtly. “You were a very successful neurosurgeon.”

And at the end of the day, I am not enough for you to recognize me.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Double update! I am not getting any comments so it is discrouging me a little and I took an allnighter to finish the first episode. I am so tired! I spent so much time on it so please give me some love and tell me what you think :) Also I would be glad if you answer the poll belove :) See you in episode 2!